Aug 19, 2022
EDEL 2280 - Literature for Children
This course is designed for reading and discussion of works of literature for children. Selection of children’s books for school, home, and library is stressed. In order to establish criteria for evaluation, students are expected to become acquainted with a wide sampling of children’s literature including classics, both old and new.
Completion of or concurrent enrollment in an Advanced Writing course
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of EDEL 2280 Literature for Children, the student will:
- Familiarize him/herself with the literature available for children.
- Apply the criteria for determining good literature for children at each educational level.
- Identify the various genres of literature for children.
- Classify books according to genre.
- Develop insight into child development and reading preferences.
- Develop an awareness of currents trends and issues in children’s literature.
- Identify resources available to teachers.
- Integrate children’s literature across the curricula.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of literature in developing the child’s sense of self and place in the surrounding environment and an awareness of different people.
- Evaluate literature for children at each stage of development.
- Exhibit ways to bring children and literature together by creating activities related to children’s literature using a variety of teaching tools, techniques, and methods.
- Examine literature for children to explore how others portray children, and childhood, and the ways these works convey cultural values and themes seen as important for the education of children.
- Compare how children’s responses to literature differ from adults’ responses.
- Create a course portfolio which includes an organized annotated file of books read in the course.
- Examine the process of reading and writing.
General Education Requirement: Humanities
Instructional Method Lecture
Contact Hours: 3 hours/week
Comments: Prior to Spring 2008, EDEL 2280 was listed as ENGL 2275 - Literature for Children
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)