Aug 08, 2022
INET 2650 - Content Management Systems
This course examines the basics of database-driven websites created using content management systems, an extremely flexible and scalable technology used for making websites that need database functionality and constant content updates. The student will learn through hands on projects how to install, configure, and manage databases connected to content management systems (CMS). In this course students will learn to create rich content for the web that offers both functionality and scalability using a CMS.
INET 1890 - Introduction to Web Design or Instructor Consent
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of INET 2650 Content Management Systems, the student will:
- install a web server, MySQL server and PhP (PhP: Hypertext Preprocessor).
- install a database and a CMS.
- create users with appropriate permissions.
- install a template for the CMS.
- create menus, articles and special pages using the CMS administrative tools.
- manipulate the page layout of the CMS using administrative tools and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).
- install extensions and plug-ins for the CMS.
- follow SEO (search engine optimization) best practices when creating content for a web site.
- acquire webhosting and domain name services for a web site.
- create appropriate media for a website.
- observe copyright laws and restrictions.
Contact Hours: 4.5 lecture/lab hours/week
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)