PEAC 1480 - Beginning Jazz
This course introduces the basic movements, patterns, and vocabulary of jazz dance technique. Individual artistry will be nurtured as well as the development of an enjoyment and appreciation of the art form. Physical movement is the primary focus of this class. Proper alignment and safe execution of movements is also emphasized. Students learn movements at a rate that is comfortable for all students, yet challenge mind and body daily with new concepts and patterns.
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of PEAC/THEA 1480 Beginning Jazz, the student will:
- improve specific health-related fitness components.
- describe elementary principles and techniques used in Beginning Jazz.
- perform basic movement patterns, qualities of movement and musical analysis as it relates to Beginning Jazz.
- develop muscular coordination, agility and kinesthetic sense at an elementary level of difficulty.
- describe the significance of jazz as a disciplined art form.
General Education Requirement: approved PE activity for Health & Wellness requirement
Instructional Method Lab
Contact Hours: 2 hrs/week
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)