Aug 19, 2022
SOC 2460 - Field Studies
This course provides cross-cultural experiences while witnessing traditional ways of life in a foreign country. Students are introduced to local flora, fauna, religious practices, education, healing rituals, architecture, technology, art, music, and dance. Upon completion of this course, students develop an understanding of other cultures and their place in modern society.
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of PSYC 2460 / HLTK 2960 / SOC 2460 Field Studies, the student will:
- apply the study of local flora and fauna as it relates to the student’s discipline.
- analyze differences in religious practices in a foreign country.
- compare cultural differences when working and traveling in a foreign country.
- examine the indigenous educational practices found in a foreign country.
- distinguish local healing and medicinal practices in a foreign country from the student’s home country.
- outline similarities and differences between cultures.
- discuss local architecture and land features in a foreign country.
- assess how innovations in technology impact culture in a foreign country.
- interpret the various functions of art, music, or dance within a novel culture.
Cross-listed: PSYC 2460 & HLTK 2960 Field Studies
Instructional Method Lecture
Contact Hours: Average 3 hours/week, plus travel
Comments: This course requires travel to a foreign country.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)