Aug 11, 2022
MSFT 1745 - A+ Computer Maintenance
This course provides students with the fundamental skills necessary to support installation and repair of PC hardware and peripherals, mobile device hardware, networking and connectivity issues. Additional focus is placed on the operating systems in the marketplace including Windows 7 and 10, iOS, Android, Apple OS X and Linux. The course also addresses security, the fundamentals of cloud computing and operational procedures. The course covers all the necessary material to enable students to take the TestOut PC Pro certification and CompTIA A+ 900 series certification exams.
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of MSFT 1745 A+ Computer Maintenance, the student will:
- identify protection and safety practices.
- discuss basic hardware internal and external components and operating system basics.
- identify PC technician practices for successful customer service, troubleshooting process and incident management.
- identify system components such as case form factors and power supply types including system cooling.
- discuss system processor basics, installation process and troubleshooting techniques.
- describe memory options and troubleshooting techniques.
- explain the system boot process and the effects BIOS/UEFI settings.
- describe expansion card purpose and installation.
- summarize audio and video card installation and troubleshooting methodology.
- explain the peripheral device and connectivity options, as well as device driver management to add capability to a system.
- outline the storage options and file system types.
- discuss printers, printer maintenance and troubleshooting and printing management.
- identify the fundamental principles of network protocols, hardware, wired and wireless networks, and basic network diagnostic tools.
- demonstrate supporting mobile devices such as notebooks, tablets and smartphones including security concerns and troubleshooting problems.
- identify installation/upgrade procedures, diagnostic tools and procedures, and troubleshooting techniques for operating systems.
- manage folders and file systems to include NTFS and offline file management.
- identify the principles of security to include best practices, physical, system and network security fundamentals.
Instructional Method Lecture/Lab
Contact Hours: 6.5 hours/week
Comments: Previous course number was CMAP 1745
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)