ART 2112 - Graphic Design
This course explores techniques of graphic design preparation from concept through paste-up and to the printed page, both on and off the computer. This course provides knowledge of basic foundations and principles of graphic design through the solving of conceptual design problems.
Instructional Method Lecture/Studio
General Education Requirement: Visual & Performing Arts
Comments: This course does not meet UW’s Human Culture requirement unless transferred as part of an Associate degree.
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of ART 2112 Graphic Design I, the student will:
- identify the correct programs, their various uses, and their care and application to the design process.
- generate numerous solutions to a design problem through both aesthetic and conceptual variables.
- understand the methods and techniques of historical and modern design processes.
- assess the value of type and its utilization
- apply the devices in illusion which create space, depth, and perspective proportion in the picture plane.
- practice the use of the art elements by designing and creating original compositions.
- explain the importance of packaging and corporate identity.
- integrate conceptual ideas into design projects as a means of communication and expression.
- analyze these designs by using appropriate terms for critiquing artwork.
PO#1 Application of Foundation Principles: Employ the elements of art and design and compositional principles in 2-D and 3-D work.
PO#2 Observation: Produce accurate and proportional representations of real space and objects.
PO#3 Conceptual Application: Create work using foundation principles to convey a concept or idea.
PO#4 Craftsmanship: Demonstrate a professional level of craftsmanship and technical ability in working with a range of 2D and 3D materials.
PO#5 Articulation: Use art and design related vocabulary that is both relevant and appropriate in discussing visual artwork.
PO#6 Historical: Discuss different historical and cultural influences in art and design.
[Add to Portfolio]