Aug 22, 2019
HLTK 1690 - Emergency Medical Technician Basic
This course contains comprehensive medical training and prepares students for a career as an Emergency Medical Technician. Students develop a working knowledge of emergency medical services and acquire skills to provide care for the sick and injured in the pre-hospital environment. This course follows the Wyoming Office of Emergency Medical Services guidelines for certification as an Emergency Medical Technician. The course is aligned to the current National Emergency Medical Services Education Standards.
Instructional Method Clinical
Current Healthcare Provider level CPR card
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of HLTK 1690 Emergency Medical Technician Basic, the student will:
- Describe the roles of EMS in the health care system.
- Demonstrate the professional attributes expected of EMTs.
- Perform the roles and responsibilities of an EMT with regard to personal safety and wellness, as well as the safety of others.
- Perform the duties of an EMT with regard for medical-legal and ethical issues, including functioning under medical direction and within the scope of practice.
- Apply principles of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, life-span development, and therapeutic communications to the assessment and management of patients.
- Identify the need for and perform immediately life-saving interventions to manage a patient’s airway, breathing, and circulation.
- Manage patients of all ages with a variety of complaints, medical conditions, and traumatic injuries.
- Apply principles of emergency medical services operations, including considerations in ambulance and air medical transportation, multiple casualty incidents, gaining access to and extricating patients, hazardous materials incidents, and responding to situations involving weapons of mass destruction.
- Achieve Wyoming EMT certification (exam).
[Add to Portfolio]