The Exercise Science AS program is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in a health or fitness related field. Students study the scientific aspects of exercise and fitness by being exposed to courses involving methods of training and conditioning, fitness assessment, injury prevention, and nutrition. This program provides the necessary foundation of knowledge for students wishing to transfer to a four-year institution to further their studies in fitness, health promotion, fitness assessment and exercise prescription, physical or occupational therapy, and other exercise science sub disciplines.
Exercise Science AS Program Outcomes:
- Discuss the contributions of the Health and Fitness Industry to health, physical activity, exercise, and athletic performance.
- Explain the physiological adaptations of exercise and physical activity.
- Discuss the function of nutrients in the body, and how they affect health and athletic performance.
- Interpret client behavior, health status, and risk stratification data accurately.
- Discuss contemporary issues and research topics in the field of exercise science that impact and influence the profession.
- Perform industry-standard fitness assessments and exercise tests for individuals of all ages and fitness levels.
- Design individual programs for diverse populations utilizing appropriate principles for safe and effective exercise prescription.