Early Childhood Education AS is a transferrable program and may serve as a minor to many Elementary Education programs. The Early Childhood Education AS degree is designed to prepare students for employment as teachers, assistant teachers, or administrators in early childhood programs including center-based childcare, preschools, and Head Start programs. The program provides foundational knowledge in child development, early childhood professional standards, program and curriculum planning and administration, and guidance and assessment techniques. The program courses will combine classroom activities with field experiences in early childhood settings. Students are urged to obtain information regarding specific requirements and recommendations of the institution to which they plan to transfer if completion of a bachelor’s degree is planned.
Early Childhood Education AS Program Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of child development theory and practice.
- Build reciprocal relationships with families and the communities based on an understanding of family and community dynamics and resources.
- Apply observations, documentation, and assessment in decision making.
- Create developmentally appropriate and responsive learning environment and experiences based on best practices.
- Select resources to enhance professional and ethical practice.
- Apply ethical guidelines and state and national standards in the field.