Mar 26, 2023
DESL 1710 - Clutches and Transmissions
This course covers the theory and operation of heavy duty clutches and manual transmissions, as well as an introduction to planetary gear sets, torque converters and automatic transmissions. Proper installation procedures are covered in hands-on activities working with clutch replacement, manual transmission disassembly, assembly, and troubleshooting on both single and double countershaft transmissions.
Instructional Method Lecture/Lab
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of DESL 1710 Clutches and Transmissions, the student will:
- Demonstrate the ability to adjust and replace a clutch.
- Troubleshoot clutch wear and damage.
- Identify the various gear designs and components used in heavy-duty truck transmissions.
- Explain the role of main and auxiliary gear sections in a transmission
- Discuss the power flow through a transmission.
- Define the roles of transfer cases in heavy-duty truck operation.
- Explain the operation of PTO’s in heavy-duty truck operation.
- Describe the procedures for troubleshooting a transmission.
- Identify potential causes of various transmission performance problems such as unusual noise, leaks, vibrations, jumping out of gear, and hard shifting.
- Evaluate the job of a torque converter.
- Identify the three main elements of a torque converter.
- Lay out the three parts of a simple planetary gear set.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)