EDEX 2484 - Introduction to Special Education
This course provides an overview of a variety of disabilities, their manifestations, and treatments. It also discusses the identification of students with disabilities, the best instructional techniques to assist students with specific disabilities, and laws related to testing and placement of students.
Instructional Method Lecture
EDFD 2020 Foundations of Education and ENGL 1010 English I with a C or better
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of (EDEX 2484 Introduction to Special Education) , the student will:
Standard 2. Learning Differences.
- 2(g) The teacher understands and identifies differences in approaches to learning and performance and knows how to design instruction that uses each learner’s strengths to promote growth.
- 2(j) The teacher understands that learners bring assets for learning based on their individual experiences, abilities, talents, prior learning, and peer and social group interactions, as well as language, culture,family, and community values.
- 2(d) The teacher brings multiple perspectives to the discussion of content, including attention to learners’ personal, family, and community experiences and cultural norms.
- 2(m) The teacher respects learners as individuals with differing personal and family backgrounds and various skills, abilities, perspectives, talents, and interests.
- 2(f) The teacher accesses resources, supports, and specialized assistance and services to meet particular learning differences or needs.
Standard 3. Learning Environments.
6. 3(a) The teacher collaborates with learners, families, and colleagues to build a safe, positive learning climate of openness, mutual respect, support, and inquiry.
7. 3(c) The teacher collaborates with learners and colleagues to develop shared values and expectations for respectful interactions, rigorous academic discussions, and individual and group responsibility for quality work.
8. 3(p) The teacher is committed to supporting learners as they participate in decision-making, engage in exploration and invention, work collaboratively and independently and engage in purposeful learning.
9. 3(r) The teacher is a thoughtful and responsive listener and observer.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)