Mar 26, 2023
ENGL 2420 - Intro to Short Story/Novel
This course provides exposure to both short and long fiction with an emphasis on the elements that create strong examples of both. It is an introductory-level prose fiction class.
Instructional Method Lecture
General Education Requirement: Humanities
Comments: This course fulfills the Human Culture requirement at UW.
ENGL 1010 English I with a grade of “C” or better
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of ENGL 2420 Introduction to Short Story/Novel, the student will:
- Differentiate between long and short prose fiction.
- Explain both text and subtext in appropriate literary terms.
- Elucidate significant themes in prose fiction.
- Demonstrate connections between fiction and human existence.
- Write about literature and story and their place in human culture.
- Articulate how literature provides understanding of the past.
- Compare authors’ use of literary devices.
- Incorporate research to extend knowledge about a piece of literature and its author.
- Engage in exploratory writing-to-learn activities.
- Produce formal writing-to-show-knowledge assignments.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)