MUSC 1010 - Foundations of Music
This course explores the terminology and theoretical concepts of music and music notation. Topics include the basic principles of physics of sound, rhythm, melody, harmony, timbre, and form. An introduction to ear training is also presented. Rudimentary piano keyboard skills are developed.
Instructional Method Lecture
General Education Requirement: VP
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of MUSC 1010 Foundations of Foundations of Music, the student will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of music communication and expression through the basic elements of music, including sound theory, timbre, rhythm, meter, pitch, scales, intervals, keys, chords, harmonic progress, and simple forms.
- Read and write music notation, recognizing the ethnic or cultural differences.
- Transcribe intervals, simple chord progressions, and short melodies.
- Sing short melodic lines using solfege syllables.
- Perform simple one- and two-handed pieces at the piano keyboard.
Upon completion of MUSC 1010 Foundations of Music, the student will:
1. Apply problem-solving skills to resolve technical or musical challenges.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)