ANTH 2025 - Introduction to World Music
This course explores various aspects of music from a global perspective. The focus is on music styles and traditions from outside the Western canon. Students actively study music in its cultural context from a variety of geographic areas of the world.
Instructional Method Lecture
General Education Requirement: Global Diversity
Comments: This course also satisfies the Human Culture requirement at UW.
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of ANTH/MUSC 2025 Introduction to World Music, the student will:
- distinguish the cultural differences between music of the Western tradition and systems which lie outside that tradition.
- summarize the prominent features of musical styles from around the world.
- employ a basic technical vocabulary for describing and writing about music.
- distinguish between musics of different world cultures and different sub-types within those cultures.
- assess the effects of globalization, mass mediation, and electronic communication on world cultures and their musical traditions.
PO#2 Summarize musical styles, genres, traditions, and major figures from various cultures and historical periods.
Cross-listed: MUSC 2025 - Introduction to World Music
[Add to Portfolio]