ART 2410 - Ceramics I
This course is a studio course which is primarily concerned with the basic elements of ceramic design with an emphasis on visual communication and problem-solving using a wide variety of construction methods including pinch, coil, slab building, and throwing on the wheel. The course relates visual arts content to the social, cultural, and historical context through the examination of ceramic form as found in both contemporary art and design as well as in different cultural and historical contexts. Students will learn the necessary techniques and processes that will prepare them to move on to the next level.
Instructional Method Lecture/Studio
General Education Requirement: Visual & Performing Arts
Comments: This course does not meet UW’s Human Culture requirement unless transferred as part of an Associate degree.
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of ART 2410 Ceramics I, the student will:
- Define and comprehend the principals of design.
- Apply those principals to create visual organization.
- Analyze, critique and modify designs.
- Explore the methods of ceramic construction.
- Construct pieces based on the assigned criteria.
- Experiment with materials and processes to accommodate the assigned criteria.
- Utilize all materials in a safe and effective manner.
- Take part in all aspects of running a Ceramic facility.
- Explore and comprehend the social, political, and cultural context within the ceramic field.
PO#1 Application of Foundation Principles: Employ the elements of art and design and compositional principles in 2-D and 3-D work.
PO#2 Observation: Produce accurate and proportional representations of real space and objects.
PO#3 Conceptual Application: Create work using foundation principles to convey a concept or idea.
PO#4 Craftsmanship: Demonstrate a professional level of craftsmanship and technical ability in working with a range of 2D and 3D materials.
PO#5 Articulation: Use art and design related vocabulary that is both relevant and appropriate in discussing visual artwork.
PO#6 Historical: Discuss different historical and cultural influences in art and design.
[Add to Portfolio]