DHYG 2450 - Oral Radiology
This is a lecture course dealing with the principles of x-ray production, exposure, processing, and radiation biology. Also covered are analysis and interpretation of dental radio graphic images.
Instructional Method Lecture
Sequence of coursework is established by the dental hygiene program.
DHYG 2451, Oral Radiology Lab, 1 credit
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of DHYG 2450 , the student will:
- Describe the principles of radiation and x-radiation.
- Identify the component parts and workings of the dental x-ray machine.
- Describe factors affecting the quality of the x-ray beam and the resulting radiographic image.
- Explain the effects of ionizing radiation on living tissues.
- Discuss radiation biology health and safety.
- Demonstrate selection of appropriate radiographic surveys, sensor size and sensor use.
- Demonstrate currently accepted intraoral techniques for bitewing images (horizontal and vertical), occlusal images and periapical images, with an emphasis on paralleling technique.
- Evaluate and demonstrate supplementary techniques for specialized patient conditions. (endodontic, localization, edentulous, pediatric patients, difficult anatomy, disabling conditions)
- Explain the techniques of proper sensor/film processing, handling and record keeping.
- Explain image viewing techniques and principles of interpretation
- Recognize and name the radiographic errors and artifacts on intra oral and extra oral images.
- Interpret and describe normal anatomy versus pathology on radiographic images.
- Identify and describe classifications of dental caries and restorative materials viewed on radiographs.
- Classify periodontal disease according to radiographic bone levels.
- Explain appropriate infection control protocols for radiography.
- Describe and implement quality assurance procedures.
Dental Hygiene AAS
PO#1 Apply a professional code of ethics in all endeavors, assuming responsibility for professional actions.
PO#4 Provide individualized care utilizing the dental hygiene process of care model (assessment, dental hygiene diagnosis, planning, implementation, evaluation, documentation) that includes the educational, preventive, and therapeutic services necessary to achieve and maintain oral health
Add to Portfolio