DHYG 3775 - Pain Management Lab
This course provides clinical experience with local anesthesia and inhalation sedation techniques. It includes the detection of anatomic landmarks in the mouth pertaining to specific injection sites, preparation of the armamentarium, maintenance of asepsis, simulated and real injection of anesthetic agents at predetermined sites and administration of nitrous oxide/oxygen.
Instructional Method Lab
Admission to the Dental Hygiene program required.
DHYG 3770 - Pain Management (lecture)
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of DHYG 3775 Pain Management Lab, the student will:
- Assemble all component parts of the equipment required for injections.
- Maintain the chain of asepsis throughout the local anesthetic/inhalation process.
- Administer local anesthetic agents safely with the least amount of pain and trauma to the patient.
- Demonstrate patient management skills which will alleviate patients’ fears of the injection procedure.
- Demonstrate correct assembly of the nitrous oxide/oxygen sedation equipment.
- Administer nitrous oxide/oxygen to a lab partner in a safe and effective manner.
- Write accurate and complete patient records.
Add to Portfolio