EQST 1210 - Introduction to Farrier Science
This course is an introduction to the theory and skills of equine hoof care, forge work, and basic horsemanship skills. Students will demonstrate their knowledge of equine anatomy, blacksmithing, horse handling, as well as trimming. Safe horse handling, and forge safety will be emphasized.
Instructional Method Combined Lecture/Lab
Comments: $675 course fee
Completion of or concurrent enrollment in ANSC 1400 Equine Anatomy and Locomotion
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of EQST 1210 Introduction to Farrier Science , the student will:
- Correlate the anatomy of the horse’s lower limb and hoof to basic joint congruency.
- Demonstrate proper use of farrier tools and equipment.
- Manipulate the horse’s leg into position safely.
- Demonstrate the steps involved in trimming a horse’s foot.
- Construct a basic horse shoe.
- Apply knowledge of equine behavior in handling horses.
[Add to Portfolio]