Sep 27, 2022
HORT 2025 - Horticulture Science
This course is designed to give students an overall view of the horticulture industry. Topics include plant propagation, greenhouse and nursery operations, retail and wholesale production methods, the use of plants in landscaping and post-harvest handling and marketing.
Instructional Method Separate Lecture and Lab
AECL 1000 Agro-Ecology, BIOL 1010 General Biology I, or HORT 1005 Plant Sciences with a grade of C or better
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of HORT 2025 Horticultural Science, the student will:
- Discuss the economic contribution of horticultural production in the agricultural industry.
- Compare the effects of the 5 major hormone classes on plant growth and development.
- Characterize environmental factors that influence plant growth and development.
- Identify nutrient deficiencies in plant material.
- Propagate plant material via asexual methods.
- Develop a niche marketing plan for horticultural products.
- Compare the root/soil interface in native and manufactured soils.
- Discuss the photosynthetic process on plant productivity.
- Examine post-harvest handling methods and techniques.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)