Nov 19, 2018
CHEM 1090 - Fundamentals of the Physical Universe
This course is a one-semester overview of physical science for students planning to become elementary educators. Fundamental concepts of physics and chemistry introduced include mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, atomic theory, bonding and chemical reactions. The course presents physical science concepts in a lecture/laboratory format integrating constructivist strategies into the presentation of the material. The course provides an introduction to fundamental chemistry and physics principles and stresses hands-on exercises.
Instructional Method Lecture and Lab
General Education Requirement: Physical Science
Comments: Upon completion of CHEM 1020 General Chemistry I, the student will: Pre-Professional AS PO 4. Make accurate and precise scientific measurements. Additional degree programs require this course as a program requirement, program elective, or general educa
EDCI 1440 Physical Science Seminar for Elementary Education
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of CHEM 1090 Fundamentals of the Physical Universe , the student will:
- Examine Newton’s Laws of Motion.
- Characterize examples of simple harmonic motion.
- Relate vibrations, waves, sound, and musical sounds.
- Examine electricity and magnetism.
- Predict chemical phenomena using particulate models, especially atomic and kinetic molecular theories.
- Explain chemical phenomena using particulate and symbolic representations.
- Predict the macroscopic and particulate properties of a substance that arise from the bonding present in that substance.
- Develop quantitative relationships for a substance using appropriate means, especially the mole concept, molar mass, Molarity, the Ideal Gas Law and density.
- Arrange substances according to their reactivity by way of precipitation, acid-base or reduction-oxidation reactions.
- Communicate chemical concepts in written and oral form.
- Demonstrate appropriate laboratory safety and skills, including the use of appropriate technologies to obtain, record, and analyze information with appropriate precision and accuracy.
Upon completion of CHEM 1090 Fundamentals of the Physical Universe, the student will:
Elementary Education AS
PO#2 Construct learning experiences based on current best practices, developmental theories, and state and national standards.
PO#4 Evaluate instructional methods that connect learning with the students’ diverse experiences and needs.
[Add to Portfolio]