NURS 1980 - Practical Nursing Role Transition
This course is designed to facilitate the transition of the nursing student to a practical nursing role. This course is optional for students who seek to earn a practical nursing certificate. Upon completion of this course, the student will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN licensure exam. This course utilizes the following nursing core components: professional behaviors, communication, assessment, clinical decision-making, caring interventions, teaching and learning, collaboration and managing care in applying theory to practice in the role of the practical nurse.
NOTE: Course inactivated effective Fall 2018. Practical Nursing Certificate was updated to remove the NURS 1980 Practical Nursing Role Transition requirement.
Instructional Method Lecture/Lab
Acceptance into the nursing program
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of NURS 1980-Practical Nursing Role Transition, the student will:
- Use established policies in structured healthcare systems.
- Use mutually respectful communication and collaboration, within inter-professional teams in providing patient care.
- Apply the nursing process in providing care.
- Use caring behaviors to provide safe, effective, and culturally appropriate care to patients across the lifespan.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in the development of therapeutic relationships with patients and families.
- Apply the practical nursing scope of practice when providing care to patients.
- Employ the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to promote optimal patient outcomes.
- Explore the role of the practical nurse in emergency preparedness.
PO#1 Demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities to make safe clinical decisions.
PO#2 Provide care in compliance with the practical nursing scope of practice.
PO#3 Practice nursing according to established professional and ethical standards for the practical nurse.
PO#4 Communicate effectively with patients, families and team members to create a patient-centered environment.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)