Mar 19, 2019
CULA 1515 - Basic Culinary Skills
This course introduces the fundamental skills that are required to be a professional culinarian. Topics such as knife skills, stocks, sauces, soups as well as recipe conversion, costing and product identification are all covered in this course. These are the basic building blocks that are required for future culinary success.
Instructional Method Lecture/Lab
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of CULA 1515 Basic Culinary Skills, the student will:
- perform basic knife cuts within acceptable American Culinary Federation (ACF) guidelines.
- prepare stocks, soups and the five modern mother sauces.
- explore a variety of non-mother/classical sauces.
- characterize numerous common food products.
- explore the two basic soup categories.
- prepare a variety of soups from each basic category.
- determine the parts/components of a recipe
- describe a standardized recipe.
- outline the procedure for writing a standardized recipe
[Add to Portfolio]