NWCCD 2022-2023 Catalog 
    Jul 13, 2024  
NWCCD 2022-2023 Catalog [This is an Archived Catalog.]

NWCCD General Information

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



NWCCD welcomes all learners, empowers student success, encourages and strengthens community development.


To achieve this, the College provides the following:

  • General education to furnish students with a common core of knowledge appropriate to an Associate degree holder;
  • Programs of study at the freshman and sophomore levels to prepare students to successfully transfer to the baccalaureate program of their choice;
  • Technical education and training to prepare students to enter or re-enter the job market, emphasizing employment opportunities in the College service area;
  • Continuing education to assist people in upgrading job skills for career advancement and in gaining personal enrichment;
  • Assistance to students in successfully meeting their educational goals through an appropriate variety of student support programs; and
  • Help in the economic, cultural and educational development of service area communities through its programs, the sharing of its human and physical resources and through cooperative efforts with appropriate individuals and organizations.

The College mission statement directs that our efforts, our resources and our planning and evaluation focus on ways of creating success for every student. Student success is a team effort.

While the faculty, staff and Board of Trustees are committed to taking the lead in creating student success, students also share in this responsibility. We welcome you to NWCCD and look forward to working with you to achieve your educational goals.


NWCCD will be the premier higher education institution in the region; we will provide all students with a diverse range of experiences to prepare for a dynamic future.

Core Values

  • Respect: Embrace diversity of people, ideas, and experiences. Treat everyone with dignity.
  • Integrity: Be honest, fair, and trustworthy. Communicate responsibly. Honor commitments.
  • Excellence: Maintain high standards and clear expectations. Provide quality learning services and experiences. Innovate and create.
  • Learning: Learn and grow as employees and as an organization.

Wyoming Community Colleges

Wyoming’s seven community colleges provide affordable, quality services to all students. As comprehensive institutions, they provide two-year transfer degrees and many customized certificates and industry-specific programs. Enrichment courses for life-long learners, cultural activities and sports events are popular on our campuses.

The community colleges are supported by the Wyoming Community College Commission, a coordinating board of seven commissioners appointed by the Governor. The mission and purpose of the Commission is to provide coordination, advocacy, and accountability for the Community College System on behalf of the State of Wyoming.


Accreditation & Memberships

The Northern Wyoming Community College District is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a regional accreditation agency recognized by the United States Department of Education.

Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, Illinois 60604-1411
Phone: (800) 621-7440 / (312) 263-0456

The Associate Degree Nursing Program at Northern Wyoming Community College District located in Sheridan, Wyoming and Gillette, Wyoming is accredited by the:

Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400
Atlanta, Georgia 30326.
Phone: 404-975-5000

The most recent accreditation decision (Spring 2019) made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the NWCCD Associate Degree Nursing Program is Continuing Accreditation.

The Dental Hygiene Program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. Certification is available in some technical programs through state and national program accreditation.

The College maintains institutional memberships in the American Association of Community Colleges, and other professional organizations.

Admission to the College


Northern Wyoming Community College District (NWCCD) is an open-admission, equal-access institution.  Admission is required prior to registration for classes.  Applicants may be accepted as degree or certificate seeking, non-degree seeking, high school concurrent/dual enrollment, or non-credit.  Additional requirements exist for non-US citizens entering the US to attend college.

Admission to the District does not guarantee admission to any specific program.

Admission Criteria


 I.    General admissions requirements:

   A.  Applicants sixteen years-of- age or older.  If under age sixteen, then paragraphs B or C apply.

   B.  High school students having the written approval of a high school official to enroll in selected college courses.

   C.  Applicants who, because of circumstances, might be better served by attending college as determined by the Vice President of Student Affairs.

II.   International Admissions: All non-US citizens entering the US to attend college must meet the following District criteria in addition to the general admissions requirements. The Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) has discretion in administering the admissions process in compliance with Federal laws and regulations.

   A. Submitted application for admission

   B. Proof of English proficiency where English is not the primary language of the resident country may be determined in the following manner:

  • TOEFL score of 61 (iBT), or 500 (paper based), or IELTS 5.5, or
  • A combination of ACT/SAT scores, high school and/or college transcripts review, and professional judgement may be considered under the leadership of the PDSO/DSO and the AVP of Enrollment Management

   C. Receipt of official secondary and post-secondary transcripts translated and evaluated by a professional evaluation service certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

  • Transcripts from English-speaking countries may require evaluation, if requested by the Records Office.

   D. Completed NWCCD Confidential Financial Statement (CFS) with a signed official bank statement.

  • CFS must demonstrate adequate funds to cover living expenses, as determined by the Admissions Office.

   E. Proof of US medical insurance coverage with effective date prior to arrival on campus.

   F. Current passport, valid at least six (6) months beyond program start date.

   G. Agreement to comply with the following requirements after arrival:

  • Register in Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) with the assistance of the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) or Designated School Official (DSO).
  • Check in with the PDSO/DSO at the start of each semester during enrollment and prior to departing the country at any time.

   H. International applicants need to allow sufficient time for the application and financial documents to be processed and reviewed by the Admissions Office. An international student admission will not become official until both processes are completed.

III.   NWCCD encourages students to submit official high school and/or college transcripts to assist in the process of academic course placement, transfer course evaluation, and overall academic advising.

  • Official transcripts must come directly from the institution electronically or by sealed envelope.
  • Unofficial transcripts can be used for initial advising purposes; however, official college transcripts are required for all students seeking transfer credit.
  • Official high school or high school equivalency transcripts are required for admission to the Nursing and Dental Hygiene programs and for all intercollegiate athletes.

IV.   NWCCD may deny or conditionally admit any individual who presents an unreasonable risk to the safety and welfare of the campus and persons thereon. In making such judgment, the District may, among other things, take into account the individual’s history and experience relative to (1) violence and destructive tendencies, (2) behavior at other educational institutions which may or may not be noted on the transcript, and (3) any rehabilitative therapy the individual may have undergone. A decision to utilize the authority conferred by this paragraph shall be communicated to the individual in writing.  NWCCD has a procedure by which such decisions may be appealed.

  • Appeal process – will be reviewed by the Registrar and Vice President for Student Affairs.
Application for Admission

Degree-seeking applicants are encouraged to apply at least six months prior to their planned date of attendance. Earlier application is recommended for those seeking financial-aid or on-campus housing. An official high school transcript with the graduation date is encouraged for those who have graduated within the past three years.  Official college transcripts are recommended for transfer credit evaluation from each college previously attended and are required if a student requests transfer credit be applied to their NWCCD academic program or for prerequisite purposes. All transcripts and other materials submitted become the property of the College and will not be returned. Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to any specific program of the College.

Re-application is required for students who have a gap in course enrollment for one year or longer.

Application is required for non-degree-seeking students. An abbreviated application is intended to gather demographic information necessary for creating a student database record, thus allowing for class registration.

Dental Hygiene and Nursing have separate program admission applications and deadlines. Please visit with those departments for more information.

Application Process

Application should be completed online at www.sheridan.edu. Click the Apply Now button.

The first step in the application process is creating an Admissions Profile.  This login allows applicants to track their application and register for events, tours, and other activities offered to prospective students and families.  Once the application is submitted, the College will process it in the order it was received. At the point of being admitted, student account activation information is communicated to the applicant via the email address provided on the application. Account activation is a critical step for applicants to complete and allows access to account information, including financial aid.

Applicants are officially accepted to the College once they have submitted an online application and it has been processed by the College. Please contact the Admissions Office if any problems are encountered in the application process or if notice of acceptance has not been received within a week of submitting an application. Please be aware that this process may be delayed due to holidays and school closures.  Prompt notification is requested if an applicant decides not to attend.

Catalog Placement

Catalogs go into effect with the fall semester.  The catalog in use at the time a student initially enrolls as a degree-seeking student and completes credit classes offered through NWCCD determines the degree or certificate requirements for graduation.  Students beginning their enrollment during the summer session are placed in the fall catalog.  Students accepted into special programs, including CTE programs, are moved to the fall catalog in effect at the time of program admission.  Students may request to be moved to the current catalog, assuming the student will be enrolled during the catalog period.  Students who have a two-semester break (fall and spring) are required to reapply to the College and will be moved to the catalog in effect at the time of reapplication.  Students share in the responsibility of ensuring they are in the correct catalog.  If courses originally required in a catalog no longer exist, the college reserves the right to substitute one course for another in any program or degree.  Refresher classes may be required for some skills courses.


High school:  Official transcripts should be requested from high schools attended if high school graduation is within the past three years.  Class information is valuable in the academic advising process.  High school equivalency transcripts may be ordered from the Diploma Center. 

College:  Transcripts are recommended from each college attended, even when attendance occurred prior to high school graduation to assist in the academic advising process. Official college transcripts are required if a student requests transfer credit be applied to their NWCCD academic program or for prerequisite purposes. Most colleges provide order information on their web page, and many colleges use the National Student Clearinghouse (studentclearinghouse.org) as a provider. Once application to the College is made, official transcripts are evaluated by the Records Office, and a transfer equivalency report is provided to the applicant/student. Acceptability of transferred credits is determined by NWCCD, as the receiving institution.

What is official? Official transcripts are sent directly between institutions or, in some situations, may be given to the student in a sealed envelope. Increasingly, transcripts are exchanged electronically between institutions.

Unofficial college transcripts may be used for advising and registration purposes, but an official transcript must be received no later than two weeks prior to the start of the term.  Students may be dropped from registered classes if an official transcript required to validate prerequisite coursework is not received by the two-week deadline.

Receipt of official secondary and post-secondary transcripts translated and evaluated by a professional evaluation service certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) is required for any international transcript from countries where English is not the primary language.  International transcripts from English-speaking countries may require evaluation, if requested by the Registrar.

Entrance Exams

College entrance examinations are not required for admission to the College, but students not submitting test scores nor college-level transfer credit in English or Math are encouraged to take placement exams to assist in proper course placement in English and Math. ACT/SAT scores may be used for placement, or students may choose to take Accuplacer exams at the College’s testing center. When taking ACT/SAT exams, students are asked to include Sheridan College or Gillette College as an institution that should receive their scores. Some programs offered through NWCCD may require additional testing for entrance.  ACT/SAT scores are good up to 3 years after HS graduation.

Transcripts from other Institutions

All transcripts received by NWCCD are the property of the District and will not be copied or returned to the student or to a third party.  Students should request copies from the institution attended. This practice protects the student’s rights as well as the credibility and integrity of the other institution and its transcripts.


Transfer Policy

TRANSFER CREDIT: Acceptance and Evaluation (Procedure 5035.2)

Transfer credit is considered from regionally accredited institutions in the United States. The American Council on Education Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education publication is used to identify accreditation. International credit must be evaluated by evaluators accredited by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) in cases where English is not the primary language of the institution. Credit from non-regionally accredited institutions is reviewed individually by the Registrar, in consultation with faculty.

Students transferring to NWCCD and requesting transfer credit or course prerequisite placement from their previously attended institution must provide official transcripts for evaluation. Coursework is evaluated by Records Office once the student has applied to NWCCD and official transcript(s) are received. A transfer course equivalency report and letter is then provided with respect to how courses transfer to meet requirements at NWCCD.  GPA does not transfer and is, therefore, not included in the NWCCD cumulative GPA. No restriction is placed on the age of credits to be transferred with the exception of science courses being applied to Dental Hygiene requirements.

Transfer Equivalencies

  • Specific Course Equivalency: Many courses transfer to NWCCD as equivalent to a NWCCD course.
  • General Transfer Credit: If a course is not identical to a course offered at NWCCD, but is a college-level course, the course is general transfer credit.  Credit is received for the course completed, but it may not fulfill a NWCCD requirement.
  • Repeat Courses: Coursework transferred to NWCCD is evaluated against NWCCD rules for repeated courses, not the transfer institution’s rules. If a course is completed more than once, only the last occurrence stands.  No course credits are received for earlier attempts. However, some courses are an exception to the repeat policy based on curriculum approval and credit can be granted on multiple attempts. 
  • Remedial Courses: Transfer credit is not accepted for remedial coursework. Coursework considered remedial level (course number less than 1000) does not transfer to NWCCD but appears on the transfer evaluation and may also serve as prerequisites, as appropriate.

Not Accepted

  • Unrelated Courses: Credit is not accepted if the courses are not related to any type of course offered by NWCCD, such as Cosmetology.
  • Unacceptable grades: Coursework must be completed with a letter grade of “C” or better. Therefore, coursework completed with a grade of “D” or “F” does not transfer.  Exceptions are at the discretion of the Registrar (i.e. Consortium Agreements).

Other Transfer Credit (For further information, please see Procedure 6010.3: Credit for Prior Learning and the NWCCD CPL Handbook.)

  • Military Training: Students who have served in the US Armed Forces may be awarded transfer credit for courses completed in military schools.  Students who wish to apply for credit on the basis of their military schooling should submit a copy of their DD214 form or Joint Service Transcript (JST) transcript (or its equivalent) to NWCCD.  Evaluation is completed by the Records Office. Evaluation for the granting of credit for military-based training is based on recommendations in the American Council of Education (ACE) guidelines. Department faculty may be asked for further evaluation of credit. Students are encouraged to work with the Veterans Advisor on either campus if questions arise.
  • AP, CLEP and IB (Advanced Placement, College Level Exam Program and International Baccalaureate): NWCCD’s faculty have reviewed the AP, CLEP and IB and DANTES programs and established the minimum scores that must be achieved in order to earn credit. 
  • Nationally Accredited Schools: Transcripts from schools which are not regionally accredited but are accredited by national agencies recognized by Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) may be reviewed and considered for credit. In such cases, we ask that students provide a copy of the course syllabi and course descriptions as well as the official transcript. In some cases, an interview with faculty may be required. Generally, courses which are equivalent to those offered at NWCCD may be considered.
  • Certificates and Training Programs conducted within business and training environments: NWCCD will review certifications and licenses from formal training programs conducted within business and training environments for transfer credit. In some cases, a course challenge may be more expedient. Contact the Records Office for preliminary assessment. In all cases, faculty review is required.
  • Prior Experiential Learning: Through a Portfolio Review, students may be able to receive college credit for knowledge gained outside an accredited higher education institution. This can include, but is not limited to, previous experiences as an employee, business owner, information technology or computer specialist, in management, manufacturing, apprenticeships, as a skilled volunteer or hobbyist. These skills may be comparable or equivalent to credit courses offered at NWCCD. To have this training/learning reviewed, submit any official and/or original training records/certificates, as well as supporting documentation that includes the following: content, level, time period, hours, location, method of instruction, instructors, method of evaluation, and achievement. Since training programs do not generally yield a transcript that contains all of this material, it is the student’s responsibility to gather and submit as much information as possible. NWCCD’s evaluation process relies on information that proves the prior learning is comparable to college-level coursework. An assigned faculty member completes an assessment of the final, completed portfolio to determine its ability to demonstrate this requirement. Credit is also contingent upon whether the training is able to meet current industry standards. A non-refundable fee (varies) is payable before assessment begins. 

Appeal Process

In the event that a student would like the evaluation of transfer credit reconsidered, a course syllabus, along with a request to review, should be submitted to the Records Office.  Other course materials the student believes would be helpful in the assessment may also be submitted.  The Registrar will request a review of submitted information by a faculty member who is considered a content expert in the subject area.


Academic Advising

Academic advising is a decision-making process involving a partnership between the advisor and the student. Its purpose is to promote informed and independent choices by the student. While students are ultimately responsible for the choices they make in their program of study and course selection, the advisor is an important link to other resources in the college community. Students receive assistance with their educational learning plan from a professional and/or faculty advisor. Academic advisors assist in various interest and personality inventories to aid students in selecting a career path that will be both interesting and rewarding. The final decision is, of course, the student’s decision. Academic advisors also assist students in setting up class schedules and in the registration process.  Students planning to transfer to four-year institutions should obtain a catalog from the transfer institution or access it online and work with their advisor to tailor a series of courses based on the requirements of the transfer institution.

Block Transfer

Northern Wyoming Community College District has a block transfer agreement with the University of Wyoming (UW). Under this agreement, UW’s general education requirements are automatically satisfied when a student transfers with AA, AS or ADN degree earned from NWCCD.  The Block Transfer Agreement, along with 2 + 2 agreements, assures smooth transfer from NWCCD for students who continue their program of study at the University.  Students should work closely with their NWCCD academic advisor as well as UW personnel to ensure that the appropriate coursework is completed prior to transfer.


Orientation is required for all new students enrolled in a credential-seeking program or enrolled for six (6) or more credit hours. Failure to complete orientation will delay registration in the subsequent semesters. 



Schedules of classes offered each semester are available online prior to registration periods to allow students to consult with advisors and plan their schedules. Registration begins several weeks in advance of each semester in a tiered timeline allowing current students the opportunity to register prior to new students.  Review the Academic Calendar for scheduled registration dates.  Registration may be done in person or online through Self-Service for continuing students.

Credit-Types Available

NWCCD offers credit toward graduation through instructed classes including face-to-face, online, hybrid, video conferencing, internships, independent study and credit by examination.  Concurrent and dual enrollment is available for students still in high school.

Requesting Transcripts

A transcript serves as a student’s official educational record, detailing courses completed, and grades received. Transcripts will not be released if the student has not fulfilled all financial obligations to the College. Official transcripts can only be released at the request of the student or through other provisions as a stated by the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). Transcripts should be requested through the National Student Clearinghouse at studentclearinghouse.org.  Students needing copies of transcripts from other institutions attended should contact those institutions directly.


Support Services


The Northern Wyoming Community College District’s libraries at Sheridan College and Gillette College offer collections of online books, music, art, periodicals and streaming video as well as traditional format books, journals and audiovisual titles.

The NWCCD libraries are members of the WYLD Network, which provides an online catalog and a shared circulation system for the Wyoming colleges and public libraries. Access to online full-text materials in more than 60 databases provided through direct purchase by the libraries and via the Wyoming State Library.

The NWCCD libraries provide access to academic resources and recreational reading for students, faculty, staff, and community members with an expanded schedule during the Fall and Spring Semesters; the summer schedule has reduced hours. Full details about the schedule are available on the library website. Each library offers space for quiet study, for leisure reading and for small group study or meetings.

Online content is available to students and employees via their Internet connection; those connecting from off campus can log one through the College’s online student portal. Students can visit the library’s website at www.sheridan.edu/library for more information.

Counseling Services

NWCCD has licensed professionals on staff to assist students in a variety of areas including but not limited to: stress management, adjustment to college, relationship and anxiety issues, and other areas in which students are experiencing difficulties managing their personal and academic lives. Counseling is free and available to current NWCCD students.

Our clinicians utilize a short, brief term therapy model.  Students who require a higher level or care or psychiatric needs will be referred to appropriate community resources.

Career Cafe

Career Cafe, available via a link on the toolbar of NWCCD Hub provides many resources for those interested in exploring various academic majors and career options, as well as assistance with resumes, interviewing and placement. 

Multicultural Student Center

The Multicultural Student Center (MSC) is available on the Sheridan campus provides an opportunity for people of all cultures to meet, explore their cultural origins and to work toward understanding, respecting and appreciating the diversity within our campus community and society. The center strives to empower students to seek out meaningful diverse interaction and engage in thoughtful dialogue.


Free one-to-one and group tutoring, study group sessions with peer and instructor tutors, as well as a drop-in Writing and Math Centers are available for students.

TRIO/College Success Program

The TRIO/College Success Program is a support service for all NWCCD students. Using individual mentors, students receive support in the areas of academics, career, financial, and personal/social assistance. The program is focused on college graduation and transferring those students who want to obtain a bachelor’s degree. TRIO also provides community service opportunities, cultural enrichment activities, 4-year college visits, social events, and international service-learning trips. To apply to the program, click on the TRIO application link in NWCCD Hub.

Assistance for Students with Disabilities

Our NWCCD Disability Services Offices work with students to provide accommodations for diagnosed disabilities. Services are based on the student’s individual needs in accordance with ADA Law and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and may only be initiated by student disclosure of disability. Accommodations must be renewed each semester.

Accommodation examples include but are not limited to:

  • Extra time for tests and quizzes
  • Distraction reduced testing environment
  • Specialized assistive technology
  • Preferred seating
  • Breaks as needed
  • FM assistive listening devices

Accommodations should be requested as early as possible before the semester begins.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition is established by the Wyoming Community College Commission. Any person not meeting the criteria established for Wyoming residency is classified as an out-of-state student. Residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, and Washington qualify for reduced rates under WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange). Fees and fee distribution schedules are set by the College for each county in the College’s service area. Tuition and fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change; check current Course Schedules for current rates.

Students registered for 12 or more credits are classified as “full-time” and students registered for fewer than 12 credits are classified as “part-time.” Fees are calculated on a per credit hour basis dependent on the location of the course. An overload fee is assessed for each credit hour in excess of 15 credits.  The fee is equal to the credit hour tuition charge in accordance with the student’s classification as in-state, WUE, or out-of-state.  Additional fees may be assessed for particular programs or courses. Concurrent and Dual Enrollment students are not charged student fees.

Credit Hour Load

A credit hour denotes a unit of academic work. Normally, one credit hour is earned in a course that meets one lecture hour per week for a semester of 15 weeks. Each credit hour requires an average of an additional two to three hours of student effort per week outside of class. Lecture classes generally meet for one hour each week for each credit; lab classes meet for two to three hours per credit; some courses blend the lecture/lab format. Although a full-time credit hour load in Wyoming is considered 12 credit hours, students typically register for 15-16 credit hours in order to graduate on time. However, advisors and/or different programs of study may recommend heavier or lighter loads.

Refund Policy

Federal regulations require that each institution publish its refund policy and make the information available to students upon request. A portion of tuition and fees will be refunded to a student who officially withdraws within the first 18.75% of the class as follows:

  • Within 6.25% of the class    -   100% refund
  • Within 12.50% of the class  -   70% refund
  • Within 18.75% of the class  -   40% refund

Length of class refers to the total number of calendar days between the first and last days of classes as published in the class schedule, not the number of times the class meets. Program fees are refundable on the same basis as tuition. Usage fees are not refundable after the first seven days. NO refunds will be made to students who do not officially drop or withdraw from classes, or whose misconduct has resulted in suspension or dismissal from the College.

Students who feel that their circumstances warrant exception from the published refund policy may appeal. Student Appeals are initiated through the Student Appeals Committee. For assistance or questions regarding the Student Appeals process, please contact the Student Services Administrative Coordinator in the Vice President of Student Affairs office.


Wyoming Residency for Tuition Purposes

For tuition assessment, students are classified as in-state, Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), or out-of-state. Classification is made upon first admission to the District, in accordance with statewide residency requirements established by the Wyoming Community College Commission (WCCC) found in the WCCC Rules Chapter 3, Section 4.

Residents of a Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) state and Nebraska are eligible for WUE tuition. Requirements for in-state tuition purposes are established for Wyoming Community Colleges by the Wyoming Community College Commission. All others are considered out-of-state.

Residency classification is assessed for each student at the time an application for admission is accepted. Students may apply for residency reclassification for the following term when facts indicate a change impacting residency has occurred. Supporting documentation is required.

Applications for reclassification must be submitted on or before the first day of class. Reclassification will not be applied retroactively. Residing in Wyoming primarily as a student will not support a claim for resident status. (Procedure 5015.2)

Wyoming Residency Classification Guidelines

  1. Students meeting the following criteria are considered Wyoming residents:

    1. A financial dependent or under the age of 24 with a parent, guardian, or spouse who lives in Wyoming.

    2. A graduate of a Wyoming high school.

    3. A recipient of a high school equivalency in Wyoming and also qualifies for a Hathaway Scholarship.

    4. An active Wyoming National Guard member or U.S. Armed Forces member stationed in Wyoming, or the dependent of one.

    5. A Wyoming resident who was temporarily absent from the State due to military service, attendance at an educational institution, or other type of documented temporary absence.

    6. Awarded resident tuition status at another Wyoming community college or the University of Wyoming.

    7. The spouse or financial dependent of an individual who is determined to be a Wyoming resident pursuant to these Guidelines.

    8. A legal dependent under the age of 24 of a Wyoming community college graduate.

    9. Having a permanent home in Wyoming, evidenced by a variety of factors, including:

      a. Evidence that any former out-of-state home has been abandoned

                b. Evidence of full-time employment in Wyoming for a minimum of six continuous months prior to residency determination;

                c. Ownership of home or property in Wyoming;

                d. Six months of continual presence in Wyoming prior to residency determination;

                e. Former Wyoming residency and maintaining state ties;

                f. Reliance on Wyoming resources for full financial support;

                g. Wyoming vehicle registration dated a minimum of six months prior to residency determination;

                h. Wyoming address on most recent federal income tax return;

                i.  valid Wyoming driver’s license dated a minimum of six months prior to residency determination;

                j. Wyoming voter registration.

                    No one factor determines residence status.

          10. A veteran or eligible individual, as described in 38 U.S. C. 3679 (c) (2), and am providing:

                a. A certificate or other evidence of the veteran’s or uniformed service members’ qualifying service of 90 days or more in the uniformed services of the United States;

                b. Documented evidence at the time of enrollment that:

                     i. The applicant for resident tuition intends to live in Wyoming during the term of enrollment (lease agreement, power bill, etc.);

                     ii. The applicant is using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill –Active Duty Program), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)), or Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill) or Chapter 35                                    (Dependents’ Educational Assistance) as described in 38 U.S.C.

                     iii. The veteran was discharged or released from a qualifying period of service in the active military, naval or air service before the date of enrollment (DD214 showing date of discharge) or the uniformed service member is currently on active                            duty;

                     iv. If the applicant is a spouse or a child of the veteran, the applicant is a transferee pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 3311(b)(9) or 3319 of the veteran’s eligibility for educational benefits, or Section 3679(c), as amended and effective 1 August 2022.

A person who has qualified for resident tuition pursuant to the above requirements of this section, shall remain qualified in subsequent years if the person pursues one or more courses of education while remaining continuously enrolled, other than during regularly scheduled breaks, lives in the state during the term of enrollment, and, if the person is eligible through a transfer of eligibility pursuant to 38 U.S.C. 3319, the transfer has not been validly revoked.

  1. The following students are considered non-residents:

    1. Individuals who do not qualify under Section A above;

    2. Individuals who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents except as provided by Section A.2 or A.3 above.

Updated per approval May 11, 2022.


Students may appeal their classification as a resident or a non-resident through the following process:

  • A student assigned a non-resident classification may submit a request for reclassification to the Registrar or designee. The student must submit the request and accompanying documentation on or before the first day of classes. A decision will be rendered within 20 days of the first day of classes.
  • Individuals may be reclassified for the following term when facts indicate that a change in residency has occurred since the time of original residence classification or upon student petition for reclassification.
  • Reclassification as an in-state student will not be applied retroactively to previous terms.

Financial Aid

The District provides a wide variety of financial aid to students enrolled in credit courses for both full-time and part-time students. Scholarships, grants, student loans, and student employment opportunities are considered sources of financial aid and awarded based on eligibility, without regard to race, gender, creed, color or disabilities. The District operates in accordance with Title IV of the Higher Education Amendments of 1965 as cited in the Education Amendments of 1976 and 1986. Please check with the Financial Aid Office or www.sheridan.edu for more information.

Financial Aid Application

Students must be accepted for admission before they can be awarded financial aid. To be eligible for federal financial aid, students must apply each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Starting October 1st, students can visit studentaid.gov to complete the online FAFSA application. The FAFSA application may also be completed through the new MyStudentAid mobile app, available through the Apple App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android). Students may also be required to complete other forms to successfully apply for financial aid, such as other grants and scholarships.  Students can access any required financial aid documents by logging on to their Financial Aid Self-Service page on the NWCCD Hub student portal.  Please refer to www.sheridan.edu and visit the Financial Aid Office webpage for additional information, application requirements, and regulations related to federal aid programs and other financial aid resources.

High School Tuition Grants

In-state tuition and fee grants are available for high school juniors and seniors enrolling in college classes under the Dual Credit Enrollment program.  Forms must be signed and approved prior to the start of classes.  Credit hour limits may apply. In-state tuition and fee grants are also available to HS Seniors enrolling in college classes but not planning to transfer the credit back to the high school.  Credit hour limits apply in programs managed by the College.  Please contact the Dual/Concurrent Coordinator for more information.

Golden Age Grants

The District offers Wyoming residents sixty years of age or older tuition grants for courses offered by the District. Tuition grants are distributed on the following basis: 1) grants cover one-half the cost of tuition and 2) funding is for credit courses only.

Student Employment

The Student Employment Program is designed to help students pursue their educational goals by providing employment opportunities. NWCCD offers students the opportunity to work on-campus or off-campus while attending the college of their choice; Gillette College or Sheridan College.  When eligible, students will be employed through the Federal Work Study Program.  The Federal Work Study Program is federally subsidized through the Department of Education.  The program provides employment opportunities to eligible undergraduate students with financial need.  The Financial Aid Office determines the eligibility for Federal Work Study based on the student’s financial aid record including the completion of the FAFSA.

Wyoming Investment Nursing Program (WYIN)

Under the WYIN program, Wyo. Stat *9-2-123, the Wyoming Community College Commission provides financial assistance to prospective nurses and nurses seeking advanced education. In return for these loans the nurses agree to engage in the practice of their professions within the State of Wyoming for a period of years or repay the loan in cash, plus interest and any applicable fees according to the schedule determined by the Commission.  Students can contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information on the WYIN program.


NWCCD offers a variety of scholarships to assist students in achieving their educational goals.  Students must complete the scholarship application and may do so by visiting https://www.sheridan.edu/admissions/financial-aid/scholarships/.  Applications are forwarded to the students’ program of interest. Additional scholarship opportunities are listed on the Financial Aid page within the NWCCD Hub.  Scholarship eligibility may vary based on elements such as hometown, academic program of study, or other extracurricular interests.  Students are also encouraged to apply for scholarships from organizations that are not affiliated with the college.   NWCCD also administers the Hathaway Scholarship for Wyoming high school graduates.  An application is required and is available on www.sheridan.edu or at the Financial Aid Office.

Department of Veterans Affairs Programs

The Veterans Services Office coordinates services for students who are veterans, current military, or military dependents. NWCCD has implemented policies to comply with VA regulations which apply to all students receiving assistance under GI Bill ® (a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs [VA] is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill) Programs Chapter 30, Chapter 33, Chapter 1606, and Chapter 1607, as well as Veteran Readiness and Employment, Chapter 31; and Veteran Dependent Educational Assistance, Chapter 35.

The following individuals shall be charged a rate of tuition not to exceed the in-state rate for tuition and fee purposes:

  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 or Chapter 33 of Title 38, United States Code, who lives in Wyoming while attending a school located in Wyoming (regardless of his or her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone using transferred Chapter 33 benefits (38 U.S.C. 3319) who lives in Wyoming while attending a school located in Wyoming (regardless of his or her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferee’s discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school.  The person so described must have enrolled in the school prior to the expiration of the three year period following discharge or release as described above and must be using educational benefits under either Chapter 30 or Chapter 33 of Title 38, United States Code.
  • Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. 3311(b)(9))who lives in Wyoming while attending a school located in Wyoming (regardless of his/her formal State of residence).
  • Anyone using transferred Chapter 33 benefits (38 U.S.C. 3319) who lives in Wyoming while attending a school located in Wyoming (regardless of his or her formal State of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.
  • The policy shall be read to be amended as necessary to be compliant with the requirements of 38 U.S.C. 3679(c) as amended.
Veterans’ Student Account Disclaimer

Anyone using benefits under Chapter 33, Chapter 31 and Chapter 35 will not be penalized due to a pending payment from the VA in accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e).

Veterans’ Programs Attendance Policy

All students receiving veterans’ educational assistance who fail to attend their classes as required are subject to termination of their benefits. Attendance procedures are implemented by the College to monitor veterans’ attendance as mandated by the VA.  Failure to comply may result in discontinuance of benefits and may require that the veteran repay funds previously received.


All students receiving VA benefits are required to report their withdrawal from the College, the dropping or addition of any courses, and any unscheduled interruptions of course work immediately to the Veteran Services Office. Veterans using Chapter 30, Chapter 33, and Chapter 1606 VA Education Benefits are required to confirm their enrollment status directly with the VA as well as NWCCD.  Students withdrawing from courses after registration may be required to pay back funds received for the courses dropped.

Unacceptable Programs

The VA prohibits payment of educational assistance or subsistence allowance for any program or course for which the assigned grade or credits are not applicable towards graduation requirements including withdrawals (except in the case of mitigating circumstances), auditing a course, and an “incomplete” grade.


Each semester the College will report to the Department of Veterans Affairs:

  1.  Any veteran student who withdraws from classes.
  2.  Any veteran student who fails to maintain satisfactory progress in accordance with standards defined below. 
  3. Any veteran student who graduates.
Academic Progress and Sanctions

The grade point average (GPA) of each veteran is computed on a five-point (A, B, C, D, F) scale. Any student failing to meet the GPA standards outlined in the College’s Standard of Progress will be placed on probation. Veteran students who have been on probation for one semester and who have failed to meet the minimum standard of progress during that probationary semester may have their benefits terminated for at least one semester. Veterans who have had their benefits terminated may be required to receive counseling before their assistance can be reinstated.

Credit for Prior Learning

The College will inquire regarding each veteran or veteran dependents previous education and training, and will request transcripts from all prior institutions, including military training, traditional college coursework and vocational training.  Previous transcripts will be evaluated and credit will be granted as appropriate. 

Mitigating Circumstances

Mitigating circumstances will be documented for veterans withdrawing or making unsatisfactory academic progress. Some examples of mitigating circumstances are serious illness of the veteran beneficiary, serious illnesses or death in the beneficiary’s immediate family, financial or immediate family obligations which require a change in the terms, hours or place of the beneficiary’s employment which precludes continued pursuit of course, discontinuance of a course by the College, and active duty military service including active duty for training.  In order for mitigating circumstances to be applied, source documents or proof of the circumstances must be provided to the Veteran Advisor by the veteran student or beneficiary. 

If a veteran student receives a failing grade or withdraws from a course due to unsatisfactory work, the following may be allowed for consideration of mitigating circumstances:

  • The veteran student demonstrated good faith pursuit of the course to the time of withdrawal or completion.
  • The student is able to submit evidence that he or she applied for tutorial aid and consulted with a school Academic counselor and/or advisor in an attempt to remedy unsatisfactory work before withdrawal from or completion of the course.
Priority Registration

Veterans and active duty military personnel working with our on-campus Veterans Advisors have the opportunity to register for classes one (1) week prior to open registration.  Visit with your Veterans Advisor to gain access to early registration.

Academic Information

Faculty and Staff Credentials

Faculty and staff credentials can be found with the degree path with which they are associated with at https://www.sheridan.edu/academics/programs-a-z/ .

Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for prior learning (CPL) provides students the opportunity to receive course credit for demonstrated competence based on prior learning and experiences. CPL contributes to student success by shortening the time required to complete a credential while also saving the student money.

  • In most instances students are only eligible for CPL prior to the start of the course for which they are attempting to receive credit. Once a student has attempted a specific course, they are no longer eligible to receive CPL for that course. An exception is outlined for Institutional Challenge Exams as noted within this procedure in Section 1.c.iv.
  • Academic Affairs is responsible for determining which courses are available for CPL and the criteria to obtain course credit.
  • The NWCCD Credit for Prior Learning Handbook provides detailed instructions on the process to obtain advanced placement (or CPL) credit.

Please refer to Procedure 6010.3.

The following options are available for CPL:

1)  Credit by Examination:

a.  Advanced Placement Exam from high school coursework for department/division approved courses

CEEB Exam Title Minimum AP Test Score Required NWCCD Equivalent Course Amount of Credit
American Government * 3 POLS 0000 * 2
Biology 4 BIOL 1010 4
Calculus AB 3 MATH 2200 4
Calculus BC 3 MATH 2200, 2205 8
Chemistry 4 CHEM 1020, 1030 8
European History 3 HIST 1120 3
French 3 FREN 1010 4
French 4 FREN 1010, 1020 8
French 5 FREN 1010, 1020, 2030 12
German 3 GERM 1010 4
German 4 GERM 1010, 1020 8
German 5 GERM 1010, 1020, 2030 12
Literature & Composition 4 ENGL 1010 3
Music Listening & Literature 3 MUSC 1000 3
Physics B 4 PHYS 1110, 1120 8
Physics C 4 PHYS 1310, 1320 8
Psychology 3 PSYC 1000 4
Spanish 3 SPAN 1010 4
Spanish 4 SPAN 1010, 1020 8
Spanish 5 SPAN 1010, 1020, 2030 12
Statistics 3 STAT 2050 4
United States History ** 3 HIST 1210 3
United States History ** 4 HIST 1210, 1220 6

* Students will receive credit for POLS 1000 (3 credits) once they satisfactorily complete POLS 1100 Wyoming Government.  The combination of the two will satisfy the Constitutions requirement for graduation.

** Students must also satisfactorily complete POLS 1100 Wyoming Government to satisfy the Constitutions requirement for graduation. These credits otherwise count as elective credits.


b.  College Level Examination Program (CLEP) for department/division approved courses

Accepted CLEP Credits at NWCCD
Exam Minimum Score for Credit Credit Hours Awarded NWCCD Course NWCCD Title
Financial Accounting 50 3 ACCT 2010 Principles of Accounting I
Introductory Business Law 50 3 BADM 2010 Legal Environment of Business
Principles of Management 50 3 MGT 2100 Marketing & Organization
Principles of Marketing 50 3 MKT 2100 Marketing
Principles of Macroeconomics 50 3 ECON 1010 Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics 54 3 ECON 1020 Microeconomics
Composition & Literature        
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 50 3 ENGL 2020  Literature, Media, and Culture
History & Social Sciences        
American Government * 50 2 POLS 0000 * American & WY Government *
History of the United States I * 50 3 HIST 1210 * U.S. History I *
History of the United States II 50 3 HIST 1220 U.S. History II
Introductory Psychology 50 3 PSYC 1000 General Psychology
Introductory Sociology 47 3 SOC 1000 Sociological Principles
Western Civilization I 50 3 HIST 1110 Western Civilization I
Western Civilization II 50 3 HIST 1120 Western Civilization II
College Mathematics 50 0 MATH 0930 Intermediate Algebra
  50 4 MATH 1000 Problem Solving
Pre-calculus 50 4 MATH 1400 College Algebra
  61 4 MATH 1450  Algebra and Trigonometry
Calculus 50 4 MATH 2200 Calculus
Biology 50 4 BIOL 1010 General Biology I
Chemistry 50 4 CHEM 1020 General Chemistry I
World Language        
French 41-49 4 FREN 1010 1st Year French I
  50-56 8 FREN 1020 1st Year French II
  57-62 12 FREN 2030 2nd Year French I
  66 16 FREN 2040 2nd Year French II
German 40-47 4 GERM 1010 1st Year German I
  48-53 8 GERM 1020 1st Year German II
  54-62 12 GERM 2030 2nd Year German I
  63 16 GERM 2040 2nd Year German II
Spanish 41-49 4 SPAN 1010 1st Year Spanish I
  50-53 8 SPAN 1020 1st Year Spanish II
  54-59 12 SPAN 2030 2nd Year Spanish I
  60+ 16 SPAN 2040 2nd Year Spanish II

* Students will receive credit for POLS 1000 (3 credits) once they satisfactorily complete POLS 1100 Wyoming Government. The combination of the two will satisfy the Constitutions requirement for graduation. Without POLS 1100, students will only receive 2 credits of elective government credit.

c.  Institutional Challenge Exams may be developed at the discretion of the department/division chair/director if there is no approved CLEP exam available.

  1. Requests for challenge exams should be initiated with the instructor, who will secure the signatures of the department/division chair and Dean/Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs.

  2. A challenge examination may not be attempted more than once.

  3. A student who has failed to earn credit in an attempted college course may not receive credit by examination in the same course.

  4. Students attempting credit by examination for courses in which they are currently enrolled must do so before they have completed no more than 20% of the course.

  5. Challenge exams passed with a score of 70% or better will receive a Satisfactory (S) grade for the course. This grade will not affect the student’s GPA.

  6. Only satisfactory examination results are posted on the student’s permanent record.

d.  DANTES Standardized Subject Tests (DSST) are administered for military and veteran students.

e. The transcript entry following successful completion will show the course number, name, number of credits, semester challenged, test origination (i.e., CLEP, Institutional) and the letter grade “S.”

2)  Industry Certification

  • Students holding certain certifications have demonstrated that they have acquired the knowledge and skills required for NWCCD courses.
  • Students holding such industry certifications are eligible to receive NWCCD credit for designated courses. In order for any course to qualify, it is understood that all minimum student learning outcomes established for the course in the common course syllabus must be met through the certification process.

  • The Registrar is authorized to award equivalent credit to students holding such certifications. In consultation with the Registrar, the faculty and division chair (and/or director) in the discipline area in which the certifications have been earned will annually review our courses to determine which courses appropriately match industry certifications. In order for these decisions to be in place by the beginning of any academic year, this review shall occur before the end of the spring semester of the preceding academic year.

  • Credit will be awarded only for current certifications to be determined by the instructor(s) of the affected courses with the approval of the division chair. No credit will be given for certifications that have expired.

  • Students must provide appropriate documentation verifying their certification.

3)  Portfolio Submission providing evidence and artifacts demonstrating that each student learning outcome has been met for the desired course.

Grading System

The quality of students’ coursework is recorded on their transcripts according to the following system:










Very Good
No Credit (non-graded)
Transfer credit from approved transfer institution

* A grade equivalent to or better than a C, providing credit toward graduation. This entry is restricted to grades for credit by exam & specific courses approved for S/U grading.


Audit (AU): Auditing, the privilege of non-credit enrollment in a credit class. An audit must be declared within the first 21 days of the semester. Requirements for an audit are at the discretion of the instructor. Auditing entails full rights and responsibilities for the course, although auditors are not generally required to take examinations, and no credit or grade is awarded. Audits are subject to the same fee schedule as regular enrollments. Note: Veterans cannot receive benefits to cover expenses for auditing a course.

Incomplete (I): An incomplete grade may be assigned when a student who is otherwise passing cannot complete a course due to extenuating circumstances. The student must obtain approval from the instructor and have completed at least 75% of the coursework with a passing grade. If the instructor approves the student’s request, the instructor will outline the steps necessary for the student to complete the course and the date the work must be completed, within a Petition for Incomplete Grade form. The maximum allowable time is one year. This form must be on file in the Records Office before or on the date final grades are due during the semester the incomplete is assigned. At the completion of all make-up requirements, the instructor must submit a Change of Grade form to the Records Office. Incomplete grades must be changed to a letter grade (A, B, C, D, F) or S/U grade (if course has been approved with an S/U grading system). An incomplete grade that has not been changed after the deadline identified by the faculty or one year has elapsed will automatically change to an “F” grade.

Course Add: Registered students may add a class online up until the end of the 7th calendar day of the term for full 15 week semester courses. The timeframe to add courses online is prorated for classes meeting less than a full semester.  Adding a class beyond the first week is highly discouraged. Any additions past the first week require the completion of the Course Management form with the signatures of the Instructor, Academic Chair/Director, and an Advisor, in that order.

Course Drop/Withdraw (W): Students may drop a class during the official drop period(s), as established by the Registrar and listed on the Academic Calendar. A dropped class within the first seven calendar days of the full 15 week semester will not appear on the student’s transcript. However, a class removed from a student’s schedule after the seventh calendar day of the semester for 15 week courses is considered a course withdrawal, and is transcripted with a “W” grade.  The timeframe to drop or withdraw from courses is prorated for classes meeting less than a full semester.

Repeating Courses

Students may repeat courses to better a previous grade on the recommendation of the advisor. In such cases, both credit entries and both grades appear on the student’s record. However, the credit from any given course, or equivalent course on another campus, is applicable to degree requirements only once. Title IV aid recipients may only count a course once which they are repeating toward enrollment standing for financial aid eligibility if they previously received a letter grade of “D” or higher. The credits and the grade earned in the last attempt are used in calculating grade point average (GPA). Some courses are an exception to the repeat policy based on curriculum approval and credit can be granted on multiple attempts (i.e. Music ensemble courses).

Grade Points

Grade points for each course are found by multiplying the number of credits assigned to the course by the point value (grade points on the grading table below) of the grade received. For example, a student earning an “A” (point value of 4) in a three-credit course would earn 12 grade points for the course.

Grading Table









Grade Point Average

The formula used to calculate grade point averages (GPA) is: GPA = Total grade points earned divided by the total credits attempted.

The grade points for each course are found by multiplying the number of credits earned for the course by the value of the grade received. In this example, a student enrolled in 16 credit hours taking three, three-credit courses and receiving an “A” and two “B”s, one four-credit course for which a “B” was earned, and withdrawing from a three-credit course. The GPA calculation for that semester would look like this:







Grade Points


Total Points









= 12









= 9









= 9









= 12









= 0










Total Points













= 3.23

If the student had not officially withdrawn from the three-credit course
but quit attending and failed the course, the original 16 credits would be used in the calculation as follows:

Total Points













= 2.63

The GPA may be calculated for a semester (as shown above) or
cumulatively (for an entire college career) for different purposes.

Student Class

Classification is based on the number of credit hours earned as reflected on the student’s transcripts. A freshman is any enrolled student who has completed fewer than 30 credit hours. A sophomore is any enrolled student who has completed 30 or more hours of course work.

Term GPA

The term grade point average (GPA) is the sum of all grade points earned in a semester divided by all credit hours attempted for a letter grade. Credit hours for which marks of S, U, I, AU, TR or W are assigned are excluded from GPA calculations.

Cumulative GPA

Cumulative GPA is used for determining activity eligibility, graduation qualification, probation and dismissal, and for comparisons or measurement of academic standing. The cumulative GPA is also used to evaluate continued eligibility for financial aid and scholarships. The cumulative grade point average includes the total grade points earned divided by total credit hours attempted. As with the semester GPA, credit hours to which marks of S, U, I, AU, TR or W are assigned are excluded from calculations. Courses transferred from other colleges are also excluded. In the case of repeated courses, the grade and credit earned in the last attempt are used to calculate the cumulative grade point average. Transfer grades are not included in the NWCCD grade point average.

Mid-Term Grades

Each semester, mid-term grades for full-time and part-time students are available through Self-Service. These grades are not entered on a student’s permanent record or transcript, and are available to students for informational purposes. For information on mid-term grades, students should contact the Records Office at either campus.

Grading Errors

Occasionally an error is made in calculating or recording a course grade. An instructor can issue a “Change of Grade” if such an error is discovered, either by the instructor or by the student who brings this to the attention of the instructor.

Academic Standing

Students are classified as “in good standing,” “on probation,” or “suspended.” Students failing to meet the institution’s standards of progress will be placed on academic probation or supervision. Terms that students are classified as “on probation,” or “suspended” will be noted on the transcript. (Procedure 6010.9)

  • Academic records are reviewed at the end of the Fall and Spring semesters. Students who have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours and whose cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is below a 2.0 will be placed on academic probation. A completed course is one in which a grade has been received.
  • Students placed on academic probation are required to meet with an Academic Advisor to develop a success plan and course registration for the next semester.
  • A student will be removed from academic probation when his/her cumulative grade point average (CGPA) meets or exceeds a 2.0 CGPA.
  • A student will continue on academic probation if he/she earns a semester GPA of 2.00 or better but fails to reach the Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.0.
  • Students enrolled in a program with specific program standards may be subject to additional program probation and/or suspension, if their grades fall below the level required by program standards.
  • Students on academic probation who fail to show academic progress by earning a semester grade point average of 2.0 or higher will be academically suspended and will not be allowed to register for undergraduate credit courses during the period of suspension.
  • No student will be suspended for academic reasons before he/she has completed at least 24 credit hours at the District. A completed course is one in which a grade has been received. No student will be suspended for academic reasons without first having been placed on academic probation the previous semester of enrollment.
  • Students will be suspended for one regular academic semester (Fall or Spring) and may re-enroll with a status of academic probation.
  • The student may appeal to the Student Appeals Committee to re-enroll the semester immediately following their suspension. Appeal of suspension decisions made by the Student Appeals Committee should be directed to the Vice President of Student Affairs.
Restriction of Activities for Students on Probation
  • No student on probation is eligible to hold any student office or to represent the District or the student body to the public.
  • Students in their first semester participating in college-sanctioned varsity sports must earn at least a 1.75 cumulative grade point average in at least twelve (12) credit hours to retain eligibility for athletic participation for the second semester. Subsequent cumulative grade point averages must be 2.0 or higher to retain eligibility. In addition, participation in intercollegiate athletics is governed by additional rules of national organizations.
  • An academic probation success plan will be required for each student placed on academic probation. Students on academic probation will meet with an advisor for approval before registering for classes.
Transcript Notation

The District denotes conduct outcomes on academic transcripts of students found to have engaged in behavior that constitutes crimes of violence, including, but not limited to sexual assault, as defined in the Clery Act and the Violence Against Women Act. Transcript notations are applied at the conclusion of the District conduct proceedings and appeal process as applicable. Conduct transcript notations include the following three options:

  • Suspended after a finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation.
  • Dismissed after a finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation.
  • Withdrew with conduct charges pending.

The Vice President of Student Affairs has the right to place a hold on the release of a student academic transcript during investigations involving crimes of violence.

For additional information regarding transcript notations are available in Policy 5035.5 https://www.sheridan.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Procedure_5035.5_Transcript_Notations.pdf


Honor Roll / Graduation Honors

Students with exceptional scholastic achievements are honored by being placed on the President’s or Vice President’s list and/or receiving graduation honors. (Procedure 6010.11)

President’s List

For full-time students to earn a place on the President’s list, they must maintain full-time enrollment by completing 12 or more college-level credit hours with letter grades of A or S and a semester GPA of 4.0.  Credits counted in S graded classes may not exceed one credit.

Vice President’s List

For full-time students to earn a place on the Vice President’s list, they must maintain full-time enrollment by completing 12 credit hours or more with letter grades of A, B, C, or S and a semester GPA of 3.5 or higher.  Credits counted in S graded classes may not exceed one credit.

Part-Time Honor Roll

For part-time students to earn a place on the Part-time Honor Roll, they must have completed 12 or more cumulative credits from previous semesters with letter grades of A, B, C, D, F, S or U with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.  Students must also maintain at least 6 credit hours with letter grades of A, B, C, or S in the current semester.  Credits counted in S graded classes may not exceed one credit.  Note:  Students dropping from full-time to part-time status do not qualify.

Graduation Honors

To qualify for graduation honors, Associate Degree recipients must complete a minimum of 32 hours, and Certificate recipients must complete a minimum of one-half their required courses at Sheridan College. Credits awarded for advanced placement, CLEP, USAFI, and other non-traditional forms of advanced placement do not apply to requirements for graduation honors.

Two types of graduation honors are given: graduating with high honors requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.75. Graduating with honors requires a cumulative minimum GPA of 3.50.



Graduation Application

Applications for Graduation are required and must be submitted online to the Records Office using Self-Service in order to begin the graduation process. Students will not graduate if a Graduation Application has not been submitted. Applications for students wishing to graduate at the end of the Fall semester are due prior to the end of the semester. Applications for students wishing to graduate at the end of Spring or Summer semesters should be submitted before the spring semester begins so any irregularities can be corrected.  Applications will be accepted after that date but we cannot guarantee that the student’s name will be printed in the commencement program or that a gown will be available.

All graduates are encouraged to participate in the commencement ceremony.  Summer graduates may participate in spring commencement if they are registered to complete their requirements in the summer session.



Equal Opportunity

Northern Wyoming Community College District prohibits discrimination in employment, educational programs and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other class protected under state and federal law. The District also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to its facilities. Inquiries concerning Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Section 504, and the Americans with Disabilities Act may be referred to the Assistant Vice President for Human Resources, Jennifer McArthur, NWCCD’s Title IX and Section 504 Coordinator, Sheridan College, Griffith Memorial Building, Room 141D, 1 Whitney Way, Sheridan, WY 82801; 307-675-0505. Inquiries also may be made to the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Federal Building, Suite 310, 1244 Speer Boulevard, Denver, CO 80204-3582; 303-844-3417; or TDD 303-844-3417.

Sexual Harassment

Northern Wyoming Community College District will not tolerate sexual harassment or harassment on the basis of any other protected classification. Sexual harassment constitutes discrimination and is illegal under federal, state and local laws. NWCCD is committed to an educational and work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Individuals engaging in such conduct will be subject to disciplinary action.

Drug-Free Campus

In pursuant to the U.S Department of Education Regulations implementing the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989, Northern Wyoming Community College District has established a drug and alcohol abuse prevention program; please see District Administrative Procedure 5075.3.

The possession and consumption of drugs or alcohol at any District facility, program, or in any vehicle, regardless of location, is limited to circumstances and conduct expressly permitted by the laws of the State of Wyoming and District procedures. Any employee or student violating this policy may be referred to drug counseling programs, drug rehabilitation programs, or employee assistance programs or may be disciplined, up to and including dismissal. Students will be disciplined in accordance with the student code of conduct, procedure 5075.2.

Any employee whom the District reasonably suspects has consumed drugs or alcohol and that consumption may adversely affect job performance, safety or the work environment will be required to submit to a drug and/or alcohol test. This includes instances when an employee demonstrates behavior that leads to the suspicion that he/she has used drugs or alcohol prior to work time. For the purposes of this policy, drugs are defined as drugs that are illegal under state or federal law, and include prescription or over the counter drugs that affect the employee’s ability to safely and competently perform his or her job.

Supervisors will work with HR and administration to determine whether there is reasonable suspicion to believe an employee is has consumed drugs or alcohol such that it triggers testing under this policy. When a determination is made that testing is necessary under this policy, the employee shall be driven, as soon as reasonably possible, by a supervisor to the collection site for testing.

Refusal to submit to drug and/or alcohol testing for any reason may result in termination of employment. An employee who is found to have adulterated, tampered with or substituted another sample for their sample will be terminated. Failure to pass a drug and/or alcohol test may result in immediate termination of employment and such determination will be made in the District’s sole discretion. The District may, in its sole discretion, choose not to terminate and instead pursue other measures such as referral to an employee assistance program and random drug/alcohol monitoring. If rehabilitation is considered, the employee must sign an agreement admitting violation of the policy and agreeing that any further violation will result in termination.

Student Rights & Responsibilities

It is the responsibility of each student to acquire, read and understand college policies and procedures governing both academic topics and student life including rules of conduct. This information is published online and may be found at the following link:  https://www.sheridan.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Procedure-5075.2-Student-Code-of-Conduct.pdf

Student Right-to-Know

Student Right-to-Know information is available on the College website at http://www.sheridan.edu/srtk or by request through the Office of Institutional Research.  This website includes valuable information about campus security policy and campus crime; drug & alcohol abuse prevention; graduation and transfer rates; graduate placement; student cohort retention; student privacy; student complaint process; equity in athletics; financial assistance services; student handbook; College policies pertaining to students; tuition, fee and book costs; and student characteristics. 

Student Conduct

Students are expected to conform to rules of conduct adopted by the college. Rules of conduct are in effect at all times on campus, whenever a student is representing NWCCD, and whenever a student is being transported in a college owned or sponsored vehicle. Specific rules of conduct and disciplinary procedures may be found at the following link: https://www.sheridan.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Procedure-5075.2-Student-Code-of-Conduct.pdf

Student Complaints/Appeals/Grievances

Students are encouraged to contact their instructor, the office of the Vice President of Student Affairs and/or other College Administrator when an issue of concern arises.  Most times, problems can be resolved at the initial level.  If a problem continues, students should schedule time with the Vice President of Student Affairs to further address the concern.  

Academic Honesty

Students at Sheridan College and Gillette College are expected to maintain the highest standards of academic honesty and integrity. Academic honesty means performing all academic work without lying, cheating, deceit, plagiarism, misrepresentation, or unfairly gaining advantage over other students. Violations of academic honesty are in violation of Northern Wyoming Community College District standards for student conduct and shall result in disciplinary action pursuant to college policies and procedures (Procedure 6005). It is the responsibility of both the student and the person in charge of an academic task to make reasonable efforts to learn of, or make known the expectations and standards of conduct required in the performance of an academic task. Failure on the part of the student to observe and maintain required standards of academic honesty may result in corrective action by the Northern Wyoming Community College District.


Regular attendance is expected of all students attending NWCCD so they may fully benefit from the educational experience.  Students receiving financial aid must regularly attend class and actively participate in their coursework in order to earn their aid.  Students failing to do so may be held liable for returning financial aid funds.  Visit the Financial Aid Office for more information or Procedure 6010.18.

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA gives students certain rights with respect to their educational records. These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request is submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of a student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate. Students may ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. They should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records except to the extent that FERPA authorizes without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the College discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  • Students’ records are open to other school officials, including teachers within the educational institution or local education agency who have been determined to have legitimate educational interest, and those others specified in the act. 
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20202-4605

Directory Information

At its discretion, NWCCD may disclose “directory information” in accordance with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Directory information is defined as that information which would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Written notice to withhold dissemination must be submitted to the Registrar. Information on procedures pertaining to privacy rights is made available to students at registration.  Information that may be released includes the following:

  • Name and Address
  • Telephone Listing
  • E-mail address
  • Date and Place of Birth
  • Major Fields of Current Study
  • Campus
  • Previous Schools Attended
  • Participation in Officially Recognized Activities/Sports
  • Weight and Height of Members of Athletic Teams
  • Dates of Attendance
  • Degrees and Awards