NWCCD 2013-14 Catalog 
    Jun 22, 2024  
NWCCD 2013-14 Catalog [This is an Archived Catalog.]

NWCCD General Information

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.





“Creating student success and making a difference in our communities through educational leadership.”


To achieve this, the College provides the following:

  • General education to furnish students with a common core of knowledge appropriate to an Associate degree holder;
  • Programs of study at the freshman and sophomore levels to prepare students to successfully transfer to the baccalaureate program of their choice;
  • Technical education and training to prepare students to enter or re-enter the job market, emphasizing employment opportunities in the College service area;
  • Continuing education to assist people in upgrading job skills for career advancement and in gaining personal enrichment;
  • Assistance to students in successfully meeting their educational goals through an appropriate variety of student support programs; and
  • Help in the economic, cultural and educational development of service area communities through its programs, the sharing of its human and physical resources and through cooperative efforts with appropriate individuals and organizations.

The College mission statement directs that our efforts, our resources and our planning and evaluation focus on ways of creating success for every student. Student success is a team effort.

While the faculty, staff and Board of Trustees are committed to taking the lead in creating student success, students also share in this responsibility. We welcome you to NWCCD and look forward to working with you to achieve your educational goals.


Our College strives to set the standard of excellence in higher education by:

  • Creating meaningful and engaging learning opportunities through innovative teaching and learning,
  • Attracting and supporting diverse and creative people and ideas,
  • Strengthening community and industry relationships by providing programs and services responsive to our constituents’ needs, and
  • Developing leaders to maintain and enhance the quality of economic, social, and cultural life in our communities.

Core Values

♦ Respect
♦ Integrity
♦ Excellence
♦ Learning

Wyoming Community Colleges

Wyoming’s seven community colleges provide affordable, quality services to all students. As comprehensive institutions, they provide not only two-year transfer degrees, but many customized certificates and industry-specific programs as well. Enrichment courses for the life-long learner, cultural activities and sports events are popular on our campuses.

The community colleges are supported by the Wyoming Community College Commission, a coordinating board of seven commissioners appointed by the Governor. The mission and purpose of the Commission is to provide coordination, advocacy, and accountability for the Community College System on behalf of the State of Wyoming.



Sheridan College

Founded in 1948, Sheridan College’s 124+ acre campus features modern, well-equipped facilities and attractive grounds. Over twenty campus buildings house academic, student services and residential operations.

Locale: Sheridan, Wyoming (pop. 15,800) is located along I-90 in the scenic northeastern corner of the state. The Big Horn Mountains rise to 13,165 feet above Sheridan’s 3,745 feet, and provide year-round recreation for outdoor enthusiasts. The fine arts are an integral part of community life in Sheridan. Artistic, musical and theatrical groups provide outlets for performers and artists and sponsor a variety of events.

Whitney Building: This multi-use facility includes classrooms for Fine Arts, Humanities, Business and Computers, Nursing, and Dental Hygiene. Several administrative offices are also located in this building, including the President, Vice-President of Administration, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dean of Students, Dean of Enrollment Services and the Business Office.  At the center of the Whitney Building is the intersection of the Griffith Student Services Center, Information Technology Services and Center for Technology-Enhanced Learning (CTEL).  The Griffith Student Services Center is a 9,000 foot facility that opened in fall 1993 to provide a centralized location for Admissions, Financial Aid, Advising and Testing, and Records and Registration.   Completed in 1999, CTEL is a state-of-the-art facility featuring a 260-capacity presentation hall with twin rear-screen projection units and connections for laptop computers in the seating area; a teaching theater; a flexible classroom and research and development area. All instruction facilities are designed for real-time electronic interaction between the students and the instructor.

Griffith Memorial Building: The GMB houses the Library, adult education and tutoring programs, informational technology labs, photo lab, language lab, classrooms, UW classrooms, and Special Collections. The Vice President for Enrollment Services, Sheridan College Foundation and Professional Development Center also maintain offices in this building.

Science Center: A greenhouse plus classrooms and laboratories for math, chemistry, physics, biology geology, paleontology, and anatomy and physiology are located in this facility.

Mohns Center:  An observation deck, telescope, Foucault pendulum and classroom are located in this unique facility.

Technical Center: The Career/Technical Center houses programs in Diesel Technology, Applied Electronics, Engineering Technology, Machine Tool Technology, Criminal Justice and Welding.

Agriculture Education Complex: Created to serve not only the educational needs of Sheridan College students, but also to provide a research facility and a training center for regional industry, the center provides classroom and laboratory facilities for Agriculture, Biotechnology, Meat and Food Science, Animal Science, and Natural Resources and Range Management. It also includes a greenhouse, land laboratory for plant research; and an outdoor arena. At the center of the building is a study center with computers.

Wyoming Culinary Institute:  Opening in 2009, this facilities houses the Hospitality Management and Culinary programs and includes a instructional kitchen and restaurant.

PE/Activities Center: Named for retired Sheridan College basketball coach Bruce Hoffman, “The Winningest Coach in Region IX,” the Bruce Hoffman Golden Dome contains a gymnasium with seating space for 2,700 people for athletic and special events, fitness center, running track, classroom, and athletic department offices.

Thorne-Rider Student Commons: This building houses the cafeteria, snack bar, game room, student lounge, bookstore, and offices for Housing and Student Life, Student Senate, Food Service and Campus Police.

Residence Halls: Students who prefer the convenience offered by on-campus housing will find modern residence facilities on the Sheridan campus. Completed in 1998, Founders Hall features electronic security control, in-room phone, computer and cable TV access, quiet study lounges, group kitchens, laundry room, an exercise room and a computer lab, and can house 92 students. The newly-remodeled South Residence Hall offers similar features and has a capacity of 82 students. Housing is also available in three additional, smaller units with combined capacity for 87 students. Rooms to accommodate handicapped students are available. Residence halls are primarily co-educational but single-gender accommodations are available as well.  Whitney Villas opened in fall 2009 and includes 88 beds with all the comforts of home.  Eighty percent of the room in the new Villas are single occupancy. 

Family Housing: A six-unit apartment building for married and single-parent students is located on campus. Furnished one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments are available. The design of two of the units provides access for handicapped individuals.

Sheridan College Main Street:  The Center for Vital Community and the Office of Workforce Services make their home at our downtown location.  This facility also houses a large classroom and conference room in addition to an art gallery.

Gillette College

NWCCD began offering classes in Campbell County in 1978. The classroom building at the center of the main campus was completed in 2003 and features distinctive architecture that is spacious and sunny.

Locale: Gillette College is located in Gillette, Wyoming (pop. 25,000) on the high plains between the Black Hills of South Dakota and the Big Horn Mountains of northeastern Wyoming. Vast coal and oil reserves have earned the area the nickname of “The Energy Capital of North America.”

Main Building: Gillette College opened this new facility in fall of 2003. It is a 66,000 square foot building designed to give students a state-of-the-art learning atmosphere. The Commons area is surrounded by the College bookstore,  espresso bar, library, and relaxation with a fireplace. Near the front entrance is the Admissions, Records, Business, Financial Aid and Academic Advising offices.  The east wing of the facility is home to many faculty offices and includes Biology, Chemistry, and Geology/Physics labs, all filled with the latest in technology. In addition, there is a 160 seat Teaching Theatre/Presentation Hall that will allow not only small forums, but also guest lecturers. The west wing includes four computer labs, including one wireless lab, and the University of Wyoming Outreach offices. Upstairs, students will find the Student Success Center, classrooms, administrative offices, and Information Technology Services.

Technical Education Center: This state-of-the-art technical center is home for the Industrial Electricity, Diesel Technology, and Welding Technology programs.  The Mining, Safety and Health Administration offices and classrooms are located near the front of the building.  The front doors open up to the Great Hall and a luncheon facility.



Northern Wyoming Community College District is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. NWCCD’s Nursing Program is approved by the Wyoming State Board of Nursing and accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Education in Nursing. The Dental Hygiene Program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. Certification is available in some technical programs through state and national program accreditation.

The College maintains institutional memberships in the American Association of Community Colleges, Council of North Central Two‐Year Colleges, the National Junior College Athletic Association and other professional organizations.

Community Connections


 Sheridan College Foundation

The Sheridan College Foundation is a non-profit organization that raises, manages and distributes funds to support and promote Sheridan College and its students. Charitable contributions of all sizes help provide student scholarships and assist with special purchases and projects that benefit students and the local community. The Sheridan College Foundation is housed in the Griffith Memorial Building on campus. For more information, contact: Sheridan College Foundation P.O. Box 6328 Sheridan, WY 82801 (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446 or (800) 913-9139(800) 913-9139, ext 4301.

Gillette College Foundation

The Gillette College Foundation is a non-profit organization set up to enhance the offerings and operations of the Gillette College. This is done by contributions to help support our young students prepare, through education, for life’s many challenges. We provide scholarships, equipment, technology and any other special requests as needed. The Foundation office is housed in the  east end of the Gillette College Main Building,  Gillette College, 300 West Sinclair, Gillette, WY 82718, (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254 or (888) 544-5538(888) 544-5538, ext. 1303.

Center for a Vital Community at Sheridan College

Created to serve as a resource for the Sheridan community, the Center for a Vital Community is housed at the Main Street location of Sheridan College. The center’s vision is that it will be recognized as the forum that joins all Sheridan County citizens together across lines of differing ideologies to identify and respond to our area’s civic issues in the spirit of openness and respect. The goals are to empower people to become actively involved in the work of the community; to support citizens in making informed and thoughtful decisions; to promote partnerships that build on community resources; and to share experience with other communities. For more information,  contact the Center for a Vital Community at Sheridan College P.O. Box 1500 Sheridan, WY 82801-1500 (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 4203.


Admission to the Colleges


Admission Criteria

NWCCD will admit students based on the following criteria:

  • Applicants who are at least 16 years old.
  • High school students who have their principal’s approval to enroll in selected college courses.
  • Applicants who, because of unusual circumstances, might be better served by the college.
  • International applicants who score at least 500 on TOEFL test.

Application for Admission

Applicants are encouraged to apply at least one month prior to their planned date of registration. Earlier application is recommended for those seeking financial-aid or on-campus housing. Applications for those services will not be considered until the individual has been accepted for admission. For advising and financial aid purposes, an official high school transcript with the graduation date included and official transcripts from each college previously attended should be sent by those institutions directly to the Admissions Office at Sheridan College or Gillette College depending on intended place of enrollment. GED recipients should submit an official copy of their GED certificate. All transcripts and material submitted become the property of the College and will not be returned. Dental Hygiene, Massage Therapy, Nursing, SC Diesel Technology, and SC Welding Technology Programs have separate requirements and deadlines. Check with those departments for information or refer to specific program descriptions for details. Applicants should contact the appropriate campus if notice of acceptance has not been received prior to registration day. Prompt notification is requested if an applicant decides not to attend.

Application Process

Admissions forms are available from high school counselors, from the College Admissions offices or online at www.sheridan.edu.

Sheridan College
Admissions Office
P.O. Box 1500
Sheridan, WY 82801
(307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 2002
Toll Free (800) 913-9139(800) 913-9139, ext 2002

Gillette College
Admissions Office
300 West Sinclair Street
Gillette, WY 82716 (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254, ext. 1450
Toll Free (888) 544-5538(888) 544-5538, ext 1450

Program Admission

Admission to NWCCD does not guarantee admission to any specific program of the College.

Catalog Placement

The catalog in use at the time a student initially enrolls and completes credit classes offered through NWCCD determines the degree or certificate requirements for graduation.  Students share in the responsibility of ensuring they are in the correct catalog.  Students accepted into special programs will be moved to the catalog in effect at the time of program admission.  Students may be moved to a current catalog if the student requests a change of program.  Students who have a two-semester break (fall and spring) may be moved to the catalog in place at the time of re-entry.  If courses originally required in a catalog no longer exist, the college reserves the right to substitute one course for another in any program or degree.  Refresher classes may be required for some skills courses.


Official high school or GED transcripts are not required for admission to NWCCD but may be required for specific programs. An official transcript may also be required for financial aid if it appears the student’s high school is not an eligible institution. Students are encouraged to submit official transcripts from all high schools, colleges, and universities attended in order to assist with academic advising.

 Students transferring to NWCCD must provide official transcripts for evaluation. Once a student has applied to either Sheridan College or Gillette College, the Associate Registrar evaluates the transcript and a written transfer equivalency report is provided to the student. Acceptability of transferred credits is determined by NWCCD, as the receiving institution.

Unofficial transcripts may be used for advising and registration purposes but an official transcript must be received no later than two weeks prior to the start of term. Students may be dropped from registered classes if an official transcript is not received to validate prerequisite coursework.


Sheridan College requires students housed in residence halls to submit proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella. Copies of the student’s vaccination record should be sent directly to the housing office. It is also recommended that all residence hall students receive the Meningococcal vaccination before arriving on campus. Additional information regarding the vaccination requirements is available from the Director of Housing and Student life.


Transfer Policies


Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is accepted from regionally accredited institutions in the United States.  The American Council on Education Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education publication is used to identify appropriate accreditation.  International credit is recommended to use the World Educational Services for accreditation verification.  Please note, the policy regarding acceptable accreditation guidelines so if you intend to pursue a degree higher than an associate’s level, please contact your transfer institution regarding their policies. 

Students transferring to Northern Wyoming Community College District (NWCCD), Sheridan College or Gillette College must provide official transcripts for evaluation.  Coursework is then evaluated by the Record’s Office once a student has applied to either Sheridan College or Gillette College.  A transfer course equivalency report and  letter is then provided with respect to how courses transfer to meet requirements at Sheridan College and Gillette College. 

Unofficial transcripts may used for registration purposes only.  Official transcript must be received two weeks prior to the start of term.  If not, students may be dropped in prerequisite coursework if the official transcript is not received.  Transfer credit is not awarded until the official transcript is received.


Acceptance of transferred credits is determined by the accepting institution.


GPA does not transfer or add into the NWCCD cumulative. 

Transfer Equivalencies

There are three basic equivalencies for transfer coursework to NWCCD:

  • Specific Course Equivalency- Many courses transfer to NWCCD that meet a specific NWCCD course. 
  • General Transfer Credit- If a course is not identical to a course offered at NWCCD, but is a college level course; the course is a general transfer credit.  What does this mean? It doesn’t exactly mean it meets a course offered at NWCCD.  You will receive credit for the course completed but it may not fulfill a NWCCD requirement.  We recommend you discuss these general transfer credit courses with your advisor.  He/she may recommend petitioning the course to meet a specific NWCCD requirement.  Please note, a syllabus may be required from the coursework you completed.
  • Not Accepted—In rare instances courses are considered not to be acceptable.  Reasons for this are detailed under the Transfer Exceptions.  This means you will not receive any college credit for this coursework and it is not listed on your transfer equivalency report.
    • Repeat Courses—Course work transferred to NWCCD is evaluated against the NWCCD rules for repeating courses, not the transfer institution.  If a course is completed more than one time, only the last occurrence stands.  The others will be repeated out and no course credit will be received for earlier attempts.
    • Excess Credit
    • Not Accepted—
      • Remedial Course work–Credit is not accepted for remedial course work or not offered at NWCCD (ex. Cosmetology).  Coursework considered remedial level, such as basic writing or intermediate algebra, will not transfer to NWCCD but will appear on the transfer evaluation and also meet prerequisites if necessary.
      • Upper Division–Coursework completed at an upper division level (Junior/Senior) may not transfer into NWCCD.
      • Letter Grade—Coursework completed a pass/fail, D or F does not transfer.  Coursework must be completed with a letter grade of C or better.

Military Service Courses

Students who have served in the Armed Forces may be allowed transfer credit for courses taken in some military schools.  Students who desire to apply for credit on the basis of their military schooling should submit a copy of their DD 214 form or AARTS/SMART transcript (or its equivalent) to NWCCD.  An evaluation will be completed by the Records Office.    An evaluation for the granting of credit for military-based training is based on recommendations in the American Council of Education (ACE) guidelines.  Please be advised, you may need to contact the department for further evaluation of credits based upon experiences.


Transcripts from other institutions

Once a student submits an official transcript to NWCCD, it becomes the property of the College and will not be released to a third party.  If the student wants a copy of his/her record from another institution, he/she must request it directly from the institution attended.  This protects the student’s rights as well as the credibility and integrity of the other institution and its transcripts.


Block Transfers

The Northern Wyoming Community College District has established block transfer agreements with the University of Wyoming. A Block Transfer Agreement is a contract between the colleges and the student to assure smooth transfer of credits between NWCCD and the student’s choice of college at the University. Students who wish to participate in these programs need to request information from their advisors or from the University of Wyoming campus Outreach Office. Current UW block transfer agreements are available for: General Studies/Undeclared College of Arts and Sciences College of Business College of Agriculture College of Education / Elementary Education /College of Engineering.


Articulation Agreements

NWCCD has articulation agreements with the following institutions:
Ashford University

Black Hills State University
Capella University
Chadron State University
Franklin University
Kaplan University
Regis University
SUNY Canton
University of Mary
University of Wyoming
Upper Iowa University
Western Governors University
North Dakota University System



Academic advising is a decision-making process involving a partnership between the advisor and the student. Its purpose is to promote informed and independent choices by the student. While students are ultimately responsible for the choices they make in their program of study and course selection, the advisor is an important link to other resources in the college community. Students will receive assistance with their educational learning plan from an academic and/or faculty advisor. Academic advisors will assist in various interest and personality inventories to aid students in selecting a career path that will be both interesting and rewarding. The final decision is, of course, the student’s. Academic advisors also assist students in setting up class schedules and in the registration process.

At Sheridan College, students are assigned Faculty Advisors based on their program of study. General Studies and/or undeclared students work with an academic advisor. At Gillette College, most students work with an academic advisor. Students are expected to take the initiative in developing the advisor-advisee relationship and to have an ever-increasing role in developing their own academic, career, and personal goals. Students planning to transfer to four-year institutions should obtain a catalog from the transfer institution or access it online and work with their advisor to tailor a series of courses based on the requirements of the transfer institution.

Once admitted to the college, an appointment should be scheduled with the College’s testing services to complete math and English placement exams.  Recent ACT scores may also be used for placement; if you achieve a 23 or above on your ACT in the areas of writing and math, you do not need to take the placement exams. A separate appointment should be scheduled for advising and the results from placement exams or ACT scores will be used for advising purposes during this meeting. 

Entrance Exams

College entrance examinations such as the ACT or SAT are not required for admission but are helpful in the advising and placement process. When taking such exams, students are asked to include Sheridan College or Gillette College as an institution that should receive their scores. Some programs offered through NWCCD may require additional testing for entrance.

Placement Tests

All full-time students and all students taking a math and/or English class are required to take COMPASS placement exams. Results are used by advisors to place students in the appropriate classes. Advisors will not approve enrollment in any course at a higher level than that indicated by the placement test results. The cost of each test is $5 and must be paid in advance. Costs and placement levels may be subject to change. Students must show a photo ID and proof of payment prior to taking a placement test. Current ACT scores may also be used for placement into Math and English courses. Please contact an academic advisor for current placement levels. To schedule an appointment contact the Testing Center in Sheridan at (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 2000 or in Gillette at (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254, ext. 1455.


Orientation is required for all new students enrolled in a degree-seeking program or enrolled for six (6) or more credit hours. Failure to complete orientation will delay registration in the subsequent semester. For more information, contact the Enrollment Services Office at Sheridan College or the Advising Office at Gillette College.





Schedules of classes offered each semester are available prior to registration periods to allow students to consult with advisors and plan their schedules. Current course schedules are also available on the College website: www.sheridan.edu. Registration begins several weeks in advance of each semester.

Credit-Types Available

NWCCD offers credit toward graduation through instructed classes including concurrent enrollment, independent study and credit by examination. We also offer a number of non-credit courses as well as access to higher degrees through our partnerships with other institutions and distance learning.

Instructed Classes

In addition to conventional classroom instruction, “instructed classes” can encompass a variety of delivery methods and course configuration, including:

Online classes: These courses are taught completely online with no “on campus” activities required. Online classes may require students to maintain a set pace through course activities, including web-based quizzes and testing. Classes may also require participation in online learning communities, including timely readings and postings to discussion lists.

Hybrid classes: These classes are a combination of traditional class meetings and Internet participation.

Video Conferencing classes: Classes that are taught “on campus” through an interactive video system. These classes allow students to take a class that is taught by an instructor on either the Gillette or Sheridan campus while simultaneously connecting with students on the opposite campus.

Special Studies: Special studies or “topics” classes are temporary courses normally offered for one or two semesters. Subsequently, they may be given permanent status through the regular course approval process.

Cooperative Education and Internships: This refers to learning situations in which students spend time in a work-place environment, and the work supervisor and the course instructor cooperate in assuring that the student achieves the designated learning objectives through workplace experiences. The experience may be paid or unpaid and may involve various combinations of class time, written assignments, assessments, and work time, depending on the design of the experience.

Flexible Learning: This open-entry/open-exit arrangement is designed to accommodate students with widely varying backgrounds or learning rates. These classes allow a student to work at his or her own pace within a specified time frame. The student’s progress is determined by the achievement of measurable objectives in these “competency-based” classes.

Student Directed Learning: These classes are scheduled within the traditional semester calendar but allow students to work at a faster pace to complete coursework early.

Concurrent Enrollment

NWCCD and participating high schools allow students to simultaneously earn high school and college credit for coursework. Classes offered are articulated by both institutions, are taught at the high school; and transcripted by the College and the high school. No expense for tuition or fees is incurred by the students. 

Dual Enrollment

High school students may enroll in College classes on campus or through distance education to earn high school and college credit.  Approval must be given by the high school principal or counselor and a parent or guardian before enrollment.  Students must complete a waiver with the Financial Aid Office and will incur no expense for tuition or fees.

Independent Study

This is an option for students to complete college coursework outside the usual classroom environment and under the supervision of a qualified instructor. Independent Studies are developed in coordination with an instructor who supervises the project or course work and are reviewed by the appropriate Dean.

Distance Learning

The College offers several distance-learning options: Online classes, Online Hybrids (some on-campus attendance is required), and Video Conferencing classes. Online classes allow students to log-in on his or her schedule while video classes are conducted in real time between our Sheridan and Gillette Colleges.

Online Learning

Online courses are open to all self-motivated and self-disciplined students who are ready for college-level work and who are comfortable studying independently. Distance Learning provides the flexibility that mature students need to juggle their many responsibilities while advancing their career and personal goals in a more convenient manner. Before enrolling in an online course, students should evaluate their work and learning styles in order to see if they have the appropriate strengths to be successful as an independent learner. Students who are aware of the additional work and discipline required to excel in an online class are much more likely to succeed in an online environment. Some students mistakenly sign up for online courses believing that these courses will be easier or the workload lighter because they do not have regular face-to-face meetings. However, online courses often require more work and self-discipline than their face-to-face counterparts. If students have questions regarding what is necessary to be successful in an online course, they are encouraged to contact an advisor.

Technology Requirements

Online students should have regular access to a computer with CD-ROM and Internet connection. Confidence using a word processing program, web browser, and email is also recommended. Computers are available in the libraries on both the Sheridan and Gillette campuses.

Earning Advanced Degrees

Today’s technology makes it possible to obtain 4-year and graduate- level degrees from schools across the nation without leaving your hometown. Our focus is to bring you programs that offer the best possible avenues for completing your education while enrolled at Sheridan College or Gillette College, offering you substantial savings in time and money. Through the Office of Higher Education Services, we offer contact information and referrals for a variety of programs to complete bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees through online, compressed video, correspondence, and on-site classes. Students pursuing their advanced degrees from a ‘partnering university’ also may use the student services available on campus. Currently we have community college alliance partnerships with the following universities:

  • Capella University

  • Chadron State College

  • Franklin University

  • Regis University

  • North Dakota System

  • University of Mary

  • University of Wyoming

  • Upper Iowa University

For more information, contact the Director of Higher Education Services at (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254, ext. 1411.

Workforce Training

Workforce Development & Personal Enrichment

An important objective of the Northern Wyoming Community College District is to provide continuing education opportunities for the citizens of Sheridan, Johnson and Campbell counties. The College offers a variety of courses on a continual basis to meet the training needs of employers. Sheridan College and Gillette College offer training to provide people with skills to remain or advance in the work force, to meet the needs of individuals or groups for continued professional education, and to help new and existing businesses in the service area. These courses are for upgrading job skills, developing new skills, or personal interest.

Seminars, courses and training can be customized to meet specific client requirements or employers may access the open enrollment classes available on an ongoing basis. Customized training is flexible regarding scheduling and location and fees are established on a course-by-course basis, based on such factors as the amount of instruction needed, the number of employees involved and the materials involved. The focus is on providing excellent, cost-effective training that meets industry standards. For more information, contact the I-TEC Office at (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 4501.

Non-credit courses for personal growth and enrichment of life are offered under the heading of Community Service. Topics for these classes are determined by requests from people in the community. These classes are self-supporting and fees are set according to cost for presenting the class.

For more information, call (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 4501.

Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Training Center

The Wyoming MSHA State Grant Program has been training miners and mine contractors in Wyoming for over 30 years.  Gillette College was awarded the Wyoming State Mine, Health and Safety Training Grant for Wyoming miners and mine contractors in fall 1987 by the State Mine Inspector. The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) established the State’s Grant program to ensure that miners receive safety training.

The Wyoming MSHA State Grant Program employs a full-time Grant Manager/Trainer, two Coordinator/Trainers, one full time Trainer and several part-time instructors in order to provide Surface and Underground New Miner and Annual Refresher Training, First Aid, CPR, various certification courses and seminar topics as well as WY Mine Foreman Exam Review. Classes are scheduled on campus or can be conducted at the job site. Specialty training can also be designed to meet specific customer needs. For questions, please contact the Gillette College MSHA Safety Training Center at (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254, ext. 1680


Learning Assistance



The Northern Wyoming Community College District’s libraries at Sheridan College and Gillette College offer collections of online books, music, art, periodicals and streaming video as well as traditional format books, journals and audiovisual titles.

The NWCCD libraries are members of the WYLD Network, which provides an online catalog and a shared circulation system for the Wyoming colleges and public libraries. Access to online full-text materials in more than 60 databases provided through direct purchase by the libraries and via the Wyoming State Library.

The NWCCD libraries in Sheridan and Gillette provide access to academic resources and recreational reading for students, faculty, staff, and community members with an expanded schedule during the Fall and Spring Semesters; the summer schedule has reduced hours. Full details about the schedule are available on the library website. Each library offers space for quiet study, for leisure reading and for small group study or meetings.

Online content is available to students and employees via their Internet connection; those connecting from off campus can log one through the College’s online student portal. Students can visit the library’s website at www.sheridan.edu/library for more information.

Sheridan College Library

Located on the main level of the Griffith Memorial Building, the Griffith Memorial Library is a selective depository for federal government publications and maps, and focuses that collection on locally important agricultural, geologic and demographic information. Archival and historical materials related to area history and Sheridan College is housed in the Gordon Ward Special Collections Room and are available by appointment.

The library has multimedia equipment to provide students listening and viewing stations on computers or at AV stations for CDs, VHS or DVD videos, and microforms. Technology available to students includes computer stations for research and academic projects plus an ADA station for those who need adaptive technology support. There are also a limited number of laptop computers for off-campus circulation.

Gillette College Library

The Elizabeth Kerns Daly Memorial Library is located on the main level of Gillette College across from the bookstore. The 14-station open computer lab and two study rooms with computers are available to students and the public. The Library collection is designed to meet the academic needs of programs offered at the college. Laptop computers are available for students to checkout and use on and off campus. The library has a variety of audio-visual equipment, a photocopier, paper curret, staplers and pencil sharpeners. Stop in for more information, a tour, or just to say hello to the library staff.

Counseling Services

NWCCD has a Licensed Professional Counselor on staff to assist students in a variety of areas including stress management, adjustment to college, relationship and anxiety issues, and other areas in which students are experiencing difficulties managing their personal and academic lives.

Our counselor practices from a cognitive behavioral model in a BRIEF counseling format. Students who require more intensive long-term counseling and/or psychotherapy will be referred to appropriate therapists. For more information, please call (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 2008.

Career Center

The Career Center provides services to students who are interested in exploring various academic majors and career options. Services include interest and inventories; advising and career consultation; connections to professionals working in numerous fields; and resume, interviewing, and placement assistance. Please contact the Career Center Offices in Sheridan at (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 2001, or at Gillette College at (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254, ext. 1411.

Special Instructional Programs

Sheridan College and Gillette College offer programs for the improvement of basic skills as well as assistance in specific college academic topics. Since many of these programs are dependent upon grant funding, which may change annually, students should check with the advisors at the College to see what assistance is currently available.

Adult Basic Education (ABE/GED/E.S.O.L.)

Adult Basic Education services are offered for those adults who need additional work in basic skills such as reading, writing, spelling, and math. Please call Sheridan College (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 2700 or Gillette College (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254, ext. 1456 for more information.

Literacy & English for Speakers of Other Languages

Gillette College offers classes for ESOL students. One-on-one and small group tutoring along with citizenship preparation is also available. Sheridan College offers small group ESOL instruction at flexible times and locations. Sheridan area students should call (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 2700. In Gillette, please call (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254, ext. 1459.

GED (General Educational Development)

Students wishing to prepare for the GED certificate must take an assessment that will indicate subject area strengths and weaknesses. Instruction to help students prepare for the GED test is offered on an individual, small group, or class basis. Time needed for completion of GED instruction varies with individual’s entry level. Those passing the GED test during the academic year are eligible to participate in the annual spring graduation ceremonies. For more information concerning GED instruction call Sheridan College at (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 2703 or Gillette College at (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254 ext. 1452.

GED Testing

Sheridan College offers GED testing each month by referral of the GED instructional staff. An assessment must be completed prior to taking the GED test. Call (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 2004 for more information about the GED test. Gillette College offers GED testing twice each month. A practice GED and 60 hours of instruction must be completed prior to taking the GED test. Call (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254, ext. 1452 to schedule a practice or GED test.

Refresher/College Preparatory Courses

Sheridan College offers a series of courses designed for students to refresh their skills in various areas. Courses are computer based, or text book based. These courses may be taken for credit; however, only courses numbered 1000 level or above can be used to meet degree requirements. Please contact an advisor for more information.


Sheridan College

Free one-to-one and group tutoring, study group sessions with peer and instructor tutors, as well as a drop-in Writing and Communications Center are available for Sheridan College students. These programs are funded by a variety of sources including Carl Perkins Vocational Education grants. For more information, contact the Tutor Program Coordinator in the Griffith Memorial Building, (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 2701.

Gillette College

The Student Development Center in main building of Gillette College coordinates one-to-one tutoring and study group sessions. These programs are funded by a variety of sources including Carl Perkins Vocational Education grants. Computers and software are also available for homework assistance. For more information, call (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254, ext. 1456.


Smarthinking is an online tutoring service that connects students to professional tutors and independent study resources 24/7. It is available to all NWCCD students. SMARTHINKING provides online tutoring in Mathematics (Basic Skills - Calculus II), Writing, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology, Accounting, Economics, Introductory Finance, Spanish and Statistics. Online Math tutors are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week during the school year.

Transitional Services Programs

The Sheridan College Transitional Services Programs assist income-eligible career and technical education students obtain skills to make them job-ready. Current programs include 1) TSP for single parents, displaced homemakers and single pregnant women; 2) Jump Start for students in non-traditional majors, 3) ETSS for custodial or non-custodial parents of minor children and are completing an approved certificate or degree in Health Sciecne, Technology, or Culinary Arts. Other programs may be available as well. A wide variety of support services are offered which may include referrals, advocacy, support groups, brown bag seminars, newsletters, and workshops. Financial assistance may also be available for tuition, books, uniforms and/or certification costs. Funding and services for these grant programs may vary from year-to-year. For information or to apply, call (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 4350.

Assistance for Students with Disabilities

(Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973) The Student Success Center makes arrangements for support services for students with documented disabilities. Students requesting accommodations for disabilities through ADA must register each semester with the Student Success Cent in Sheridan or Gillette. Section 504 defines a person with a handicap as anyone who:

  1. Has a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities;

  2. Has a documented record of impairment;

  3. Is diagnosed as having impairment. Accommodations may consist of, but not be limited to:

    • extended testing time

    • books on tape

    • distraction-free testing environment

    • note taker in class (students must assist in finding someone who is willing to take notes)

    • recording of lectures

    • specialized hardware and software for computer labs

    • test reader

    • access to e-textbooks

    Accommodations must be requested within a reasonable period of time before the semester begins.


Tuition and Fees


Tuition/Fee Schedule

Tuition is established by the Wyoming Community College Commission. Any person not meeting the criteria established for Wyoming residency is classified as an out-of-state student. Residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, and Washington qualify for reduced rates under WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange). Fees and fee distribution schedules are set by the College for each county in the College’s service area. Tuition and fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change; check current Course Schedules for current rates.

Students registered for 12 or more credits are classified as “full-time” and students registered for fewer than 12 credits are classified as “part-time.” All “full-time” students are required to participate in the group accident insurance program. Student fees are calculated on a per credit hour basis dependent upon the location of the course. The per credit student fee is $10 in Sheridan County and Campbell County, and $2 in Johnson County; this fee is subject to change with the appropriate approval. Additional fees may be assessed for particular programs or courses. An overload fee is assessed for each credit hour in excess of 18 credits. The fee is equal to the credit hour tuition charge in accordance with the student’s classification as in-state, WUE, or out-of-state. Concurrent and Dual Enrollment students are not charged student fees or insurance.

An institutional fee of $13 per credit hour is assessed in addition to student fees as per Series 5041.1 paragraphs I and II in the College’s Policies and Procedures Handbook. The fee is used to aid in the general operations of the college.

Semester Tuition Schedule, 2012-2013

(Rates are subject to change annually)





















































Fees: $23-Sheridan County, $13-Johnson County, $23-Campbell County (per credit hour) Insurance: $23 for credit hour loads of 12 or more

Credit Hour Load

A credit hour denotes a unit of academic work. Normally, one credit hour is earned in a course that meets one hour per week for a semester of 15-16 weeks. Each credit hour requires an average of three hours of student effort per week. Lecture classes generally meet for one hour each week for each hour of credit; lab classes meet for two to three hours per credit; some courses blend the lecture/lab format. Although a full-time credit hour load is considered 12 credit hours, students typically register for 16 credit hours. However, advisors and/or different programs of study may recommend heavier or lighter loads.

Residency Classification

After 12 months of continuous residency, an individual may appeal his or her residency classification. Appeal for change in residency classification must be submitted within 10 calendar days of the beginning of a term to the Admissions Office at Sheridan College or the Dean of Enrollment Services at Gillette College.

Wyoming’s seven community colleges have agreed upon the following regulations governing the classification of students as residents or non-residents for the purpose of fee assessment:

  • A student previously classified as a non-resident may be re-classified at any time prior to the end of the published refund period of any term in which he/she qualifies.

  • A student who is classified as a resident by one college will be considered a resident at all colleges.

  • Classification Procedures:

    1. Residence classification shall be initiated for each student at the time the application for admission is accepted and whenever a student has not been in attendance for more than one semester.

    2. Only individuals or their legal dependents who are U.S. citizens or are in an immigrant status may qualify for residency.

    3. Community college districts may require applicants to supply information to document residency status.

  • Residency Guidelines:
    Any of the following may be used by a student and would result in an individual being classified or re-classified as a Wyoming resident for tuition purposes:

    1. A graduate of a Wyoming high school or recipient of a GED in Wyoming who enrolls in a community college within twelve (12) months of completion;

    2. An individual who can provide written verification that he/she has lived in Wyoming continuously for one year prior to enrolling;

    3. A legal dependent under the age of 24 or a spouse of a resident of the State of Wyoming who qualifies as a resident based on this policy.

    4. A legal dependent under the age of 24 of a Wyoming Community College graduate.

    5. A student who marries a Wyoming resident shall be granted resident classification at the beginning of the next term following the marriage;

    6. An individual on active duty in Wyoming with the United States Armed Forces, Wyoming National Guard or Reserves and his/her legal dependents;

    7. Members of the U.S. Armed forces who move to Wyoming within twelve (12) months from the date of honorable discharge from the service.

    8. An individual who can provide written verification from an employer that he/she will be employed in Wyoming for an anticipated period of not less than seven (7) months, and such employment is the principal means of support;

    9. Persons temporarily absent from the state due to military service, attendance at educational institutions, or other types of documented temporary absences will not have their resident status voided by such absence.

  • Exceptions:
    In accordance with W.S. 21-17-105, an individual who does not reside in Wyoming may be considered a resident for tuition purposes if he/she meets all of the following criteria:

    1. Employed in Wyoming for at least seven (7) months, and such employment is the applicant’s principal means of support;

    2. Pays Wyoming taxes as required by law;

    3. Resides in a state with a similar law; and

    4. Is willing to submit an affidavit to the above.

Appeals and exceptions to the above policy will be considered by each individual institution.  Appeal for change in residency classification must be submitted within 10 calendar days of the beginning of a term to the Financial Aid Office at either campus, for review by the Student Appeals Committee.

Refund Policy

Federal regulations require that each institution publish its refund policy and make the information available to students upon request. A portion of tuition and fees will be refunded to a student who officially withdraws within the first 18.75 percent of the class as follows:

Within 6.25% of the class


Within 12.50% of the class


Within 18.75% of the class



Length of class refers to the total number of calendar days between the first and last days of classes as published in the class schedule. Insurance fees are not refundable after the sixth calendar day of the semester.

Program fees are refundable on the same basis as tuition.

Students who feel that their circumstances warrant exception from the published refund policy may appeal. Appeals are initiated through the Student Appeals Committee.


Financial Aid / Scholarships / Loans


Financial Aid

The District provides a wide variety of financial aid to deserving students enrolled in credit courses for fall and spring semester. Financial aid for summer is limited. Financial aid is available to both full-time and part-time students. Scholarships, loans, grants, and employment opportunities are awarded based on eligibility but without regard to race, gender, creed, color or disabilities. The District operates in accordance with Title IV of the Higher Education Amendments of 1965 as cited in the Education Amendments of 1976 and 1986. Please check with the Financial Aid Office in Sheridan at extension 2100 or in Gillette at extension 1420 for more information. Information on the following programs can be found in the appendix at the end of the catalog.

Financial Aid Application


Students must be accepted for admission before they can be awarded financial aid. Students must apply each year for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students should visit http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ to complete the online application. Students may also be required to complete other forms to successfully apply for financial aid. All of the forms are available from the financial aid office. Students who wish to be considered for scholarships should apply each year online via the scholarship link located on the College’s web site : http://www.sheridan.edu/site/sc/financial-aid/scholarship-grant-information/scholarships/scholarship-form/. (Please note that this is a temporary form. A new scholarship program, AcademicWorks, will be available about January 1, 2014 for the 2014-2015 scholarship application process. Please check back for more detail as January 1 approaches).The preference deadline for submission of the scholarship applications is April 1. Late applications will be considered on a funds-available basis. Students are also encouraged to apply for scholarships from organizations that are not affiliated with the college. Students with scholarships not administered through the College should contact the donor to arrange for payment before registration.

Federal Aid Programs

To establish and maintain eligibility for the federal Title IV programs the student must, at minimum, do the following:

1.     File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the applicable year; and

2.     Submit  all required documents as specified by the financial aid office and by applicable deadlines; and

3.     Not owe a refund on any federal grant under Title IV of the Higher Education Act; and

4.     Not have defaulted on any educational loan insured or guaranteed under Title IV; and

5.     Have completed high school at an approved institution or have completed a GED or equivalent; and

6.     Enroll in an approved certificate or degree program; and

7.     Attend scheduled classes; and

8.     maintain satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the standards and practices of NWCCD


Return of Title IV Funds

All students receiving federal Title IV financial assistance will be subject to a calculation that determines “earned” and “unearned” Title IV funds.

  • Calculation of Title IV assistance “earned”
    During the first 60% of a semester the percentage of assistance earned is equal to the percentage of the payment period or period of enrollment for which it was awarded as of the day the student withdrew. If the student withdrawal occurs after 60% of the semester has passes the percentage is 100%. That earned percentage is applied to the total amount of Title IV grant and loan assistance that was or could have been disbursed to the student for the payment period for which it was awarded as of the day the student withdrew.

  • Calculation of Title IV assistance “unearned”
    The amount of Title IV grant and loan assistance not earned by the student is calculated by determining the complement of the percentage of assistance the student earned and applying it to the total amount of the grant and loan assistance that was and that could have been disbursed to the student for the payment or period of enrollment as of the day the student withdrew. The amount that the school must return to the federal aid program is the lesser of the unearned amount of Title IV assistance or the institutional changes incurred multiplied by the unearned percentage.

High School Tuition Grants

In-state tuition and fee grants are available for high school junior and seniors enrolling in College classes under the Dual Enrollment program.   Campbell County students are covered by the Camel Advantage Program, managed through a BOCHES fund while Sheridan and Johnson County students should work through the Sheridan College Financial Aid Office. Forms must be signed and approved prior to registration.  Credit hour limits may apply.

In-state tuition and fee grants are also available to HS Seniors enrolling in College classes but not planning to transfer the credit back to the high school.  Forms must be approved by the Financial Aid Office prior to registration. 

Credit hour limits apply in programs managed by the College.  Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Golden Age Grants

The District offers Wyoming residents sixty years of age or older tuition grants for courses offered by the District and reduced admission to special events as announced by the District. Tuition grants will be distributed on the following basis:

  • Grants to cover one-half the cost of tuition for credit courses.
    Tuition grants will be distributed on the following basis:

  • Golden Age Grants will not be awarded for summer offerings.

  • Funding is for credit courses only.

  • Golden Age Grants are awarded on a first-come first-served basis.

Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP)


LEAP funds are exclusively awarded to students who are residents of Wyoming. Recipients are selected from among those who demonstrate exceptional financial need and can be enrolled as either full-time or part-time students. Applicants must have filed the FAFSA and completed all other financial aid requirements for the applicable year. No additional application is required. LEAP funds are awarded by the financial aid office.


Student Employment


Student employment is available to students through two programs. Students who have filed the FAFSA and who demonstrate financial need may qualify for employment under the Federal Work Study program. A separate student employment program is offered through the College. Participation in the College program does not require completion of the FAFSA. Funds in both programs are limited. Students should contact the human resources or financial aid offices for more information.

Wyoming Investment Nursing Program (WYIN)

Under the WYIN program, Wyo. Stat *9-2-123, the Wyoming Community College Commission provides financial assistance to prospective nurses and nurses seeking advanced education. In return for these loans the nurses agree to engage in the practice of their professions within the State of Wyoming for a period of years or repay the loan in cash, plus interest and any applicable fees according to the schedule determined by the Commission.

Hathaway Scholarship

The Hathaway Scholarship is available for graduating high school seniors and G.E.D. recipients.  For current information regarding this opportunity, please contact the Financial Aid Office in Sheridan or Gillette.

Federal Pell Grants

Pell grants are awarded to students with financial need. Qualifications for these grants are based on guidelines developed by the U.S. Department of Education for the Title IV Federal Aid Programs. No additional application beyond the FAFSA is required for Pell grant consideration.

Pell grants are awarded based on documented need and the student’s ability to meet other program eligibility criteria. Pell Grants are available to students who:

·         Have established eligibility as specified under “Federal Aid Programs, above; and

·         Have not earned their first bachelor’s degree (or the equivalent).


Purchasing Books with Financial Aid Funds:

As a service to eligible financial aid recipients, NWCCD offers students the opportunity to purchase books and supplies using financial aid funds (that exceed tuition, fees and other account charges) as a book allowance. In order to access the book allowance, a student is issued an account in the bookstore. The book allowance is an early refund of financial aid funds (e.g. the Pell grant or a Stafford loan). The book allowance is deducted from the student’s grants and loans; it is not a separate or additional type of financial aid.


The financial aid office will issue the book allowance to those students who file their FAFSA in accordance with published deadlines and who are awarded prior to the start of the semester. Students may use eligible financial aid funds to pur­chase books and supplies at either NWCCD campus bookstore.


Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG)


SEOG funds are awarded to students with financial need. Qualifications for these grants are based on guidelines developed by the U.S. Department of Education for the Title IV Federal Aid Programs. Students who qualify for Pell Grants will automatically be considered for SEOG, if they meet all other program requirements. No additional application beyond the FAFSA is required. SEOG grants are awarded to the earliest applicants each semester who demonstrate the greatest unmet need after all other financial aid has been awarded.

SEOG is awarded based on documented need and the student’s ability to meet other program eligibility criteria. SEOG is available to students who:

·         Have established eligibility as specified under “Federal Aid Programs, above; and

·         Have not earned their first bachelor’s degree (or the equivalent).

Federal Work-Study (CWS)


All students who have submitted the FAFSA and meet program eligibility guidelines are considered for FWS. The FWS program is available to students who are enrolled and in good standing at NWCCD. Part-time students, as well as full-time students, may apply to the financial aid office. Students who are offered FWS will be required to complete an application for employment after they arrive on campus. Students will interview for jobs with the work-study supervisor in the department in which they want to work.

The human resources office will assist all eligible students who qualify for FWS in completing paperwork and finding jobs. Students who do not qualify for FWS may seek employment under the College’s student employment program.  The FWS award is not a guarantee of employment it is an estimate of the amount a student may earn during the specified academic year.

Scholarships & Loans


The College offers a wide variety of scholarships to both new and returning students. Scholarships may be merit (high school or NWCD GPA) and/or need (requires the FAFSA for consideration) based. The college also offers a number of private loan (non-federal) programs to assist students in achieving their academic goals. For a full listing of available scholarships, private loan programs and application instructions, see the Scholarships section of the catalog.

Students who wish to be considered for scholarships should apply each year online via the scholarship link located on the College’s web site. The preference deadline for submission of the scholarship applications is March 1. Late applications will be considered on a funds-available basis. Students are also encouraged to apply for scholarships from organizations that are not affiliated with the college. Students with scholarships not administered through the College should contact the donor to arrange for payment before registration.

Federal Family Education Loan Program


The College participates in the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) for undergraduate students. FFELP offers both students and their parents the opportunity to borrow necessary funds to assist in financing the student’s education at the College. The federal student and parent loan programs require the submission of the FAFSA as a first step in the application process. Borrowers are also required to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and may be requested to submit other documents or information. The student loan program does not require that the borrower’s credit be checked, while the parent loan program does carry this requirement. Since this source of funding is a loan it, unlike other federal forms of financial aid, does require repayment.

All first time borrowers at NWCCD must complete loan entrance counseling as part of the application process. First- time, first-year borrowers are also required to wait 30 days from the time classes begin in order to receive their loan disbursements. For additional information about loan amounts, application procedures, repayment terms and other policies please contact the financial aid office.

Standards of Academic Progress

The financial aid office reviews the academic records of all financial aid recipients to determine whether or not they are maintaining satisfactory academic progress (SAP) as defined by College policy. Students are responsible for reviewing and understanding the SAP policy. Students who receive financial aid and withdraw from some or all of their classes are encouraged to visit with the financial aid office to determine if they must repay any financial aid received and/or if they will lose their eligibility for financial aid for future semesters as a result of failing to maintain SAP.

In summary, the SAP policy measures the federal requirements for the qualitative and quantitative standards of academic progress as listed below. Student must complete their coursework with the following outcomes:

·         Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0; and

·         Complete a minimum of 67 percent of the cumulative courses attempted; and  

·         Complete the certificate or associates degree within 150% of the credits normally required to obtain the credential.


Federal Title IV aid recipients may only use financial aid to pay for a course in which they previously received a grade of A, B, C, D or S one additional time. There is currently no limit to the number of times that federal Title IV aid recipients may use financial aid to pay for a course in which they previously received only grades of F (so long as the student is meeting all other SAP requirements).


Non-credit or audited courses cannot be taken into account when determining a student’s enrollment status for federal aid, nor will these courses be used in computing satisfactory progress. For additional information about how your academic standing impacts your financial aid eligibility please see the financial aid web pages or contact the office.

Veterans Administration Programs


The veterans’ services office coordinates services for students who are veterans. The College has implemented policies to comply with VA requirements which apply to all students receiving assistance under Chapter 30, G.I. Bill, Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation; Chapter 32, Veterans Administration Contributory Benefits; Chapter 33, Post 9/11; Chapter 34, Veterans Educational Assistance; Chapter 35, Veterans Dependents Educational Assistance and Chapter 1606, National Guard.

Veterans’ Programs Attendance Policy


All students receiving veterans’ educational assistance who fail to attend their classes as required are subject to having their benefits terminated. Attendance procedures implemented by the College to monitor the veteran’s attendance are mandated by the VA.  Failure to comply may result in discontinuance of benefits and may require that the veteran repay funds previously received.



All students receiving VA benefits are required to report their withdrawal from the College, the dropping or addition of any courses, and any unscheduled interruptions of course work immediately to the veteran services office. Veterans are also required to confirm their enrollment status directly with the VA. Students withdrawing from courses after registration may be required to pay back all funds received for the courses dropped.

Unacceptable Programs

The V.A. prohibits payment of educational assistance or subsistence allowance for any program or course for which the assigned grade or credits are not applicable towards graduation requirements including withdrawals (except in the case of mitigating circumstances), auditing a course, “incomplete” grade.


Each semester the College will report to the Veterans Administration:

  1. Any veteran student who withdraws from classes.

  2. All excessive absences and the last date of attendance.

  3. Any veteran student who fails to maintain satisfactory progress in accordance with standards defined below.

Academic Progress and Sanctions

The grade point averages of all veterans will be computed on a four-point (A, B, C, D, F) scale. Any student failing to meet the grade point average standards outlined in the Standard of Progress section of this catalog will be placed on probation. Veteran students who have been on probation for one semester and who have failed to meet the minimum standard of progress during that probationary semester may have their benefits terminated for at least one semester. Veterans who have had their benefits terminated may be required to receive counseling through the Veterans Center in Cheyenne before their assistance can be reinstated.

Mitigating Circumstances

Mitigating circumstances will be documented for veterans withdrawing or making unsatisfactory academic progress. Some examples of mitigating circumstances are:

  • Serious illness of the veteran beneficiary.

  • Serious illnesses or death in the beneficiary’s immediate family.

  • Financial or immediate family obligations which require a change in the terms, hours or place of the beneficiary’s employment which precludes continued pursuit of course.

  • Discontinuance of a course by the College.

  • Active duty military service including active duty for training.

If a veteran student receives a failing grade or withdraws from a course due to unsatisfactory work, the following may be allowed for consideration of mitigating circumstances:

  • The veteran student demonstrated good faith pursuit of the course to the time of withdrawal or completion.

  • The student is able to submit evidence that he/she applied for tutorial aid and consulted with a school Academic counselor and/ or advisor in an attempt to remedy the unsatisfactory work before withdrawal from or completion of the course.

Wyoming Vietnam Veterans Free Tuition Program

Wyoming Statutes provide for free tuition and fees for Vietnam Veterans, surviving spouse of Vietnam veterans or legal dependents under age 21 who attend the University of Wyoming or any Wyoming Community College. A Vietnam Veteran is defined as any person who:

Peace Officers, Firefighters, Emergency Medical Technicians

Wyoming statue provides free tuition and fees for education for survivors of deceased peace officers and dependents of totally disabled peace officers, firefighters, and emergency medical technicians. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Overseas Combat Veterans

Wyoming statue provides free tuition and fees for qualifying overseas combat veterans, surviving spouse and legal dependents under the age of 21. The veteran must have been a Wyoming resident one year prior to entering military service. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for details.

  • Was in active service with the military forces of the United States and received a Vietnam service medal between August 5, 1964 and to May 7, 1975;

  • Received a discharge from the military forces of the United States other than dishonorable; and

  • Has been a Wyoming resident for not less than one (1) year.


Living On Campus


Residence Halls

Sheridan College

The Sheridan campus provides a variety of housing options to accommodate all ages of students.

Founders & South Halls can house between 82-92 students and features electronic security control, in-room phone, computer and cable TV access, quiet study lounges, group kitchens, laundry room, and a computer lab.

Crook, Kearny, and Connor Halls offer smaller residential communities with a combined capacity of 87 students.  These halls do not have cable TV access in the individual rooms or access to kitchens.

The Whitney Villas / Lofts are “cottage-style” housing units able to accommodate six to ten students each and are available to students who meet certain criteria.

Rooms to accomodate handicapped students are available.  Residence halls are primarily co-educational but single-gender accommodations are available as well.

Students lving in residence halls are required to participate in the food service program and may choose cafeteria-style dining, select from an a la carte menu in the Mountain View Café, or use a combination of the two.

Students with children may apply for housing in a six-unit apartment building.  Meal plans are not required for tenants in the family house unit.

Students with spouses may apply to live in the effeciency apartments.  There are 16 units available and includes cable TV, local telephone service, wireless internet, and a full kitchen.  There are laundry facilities within each building.

All housing facilities are smoke-free.  Further information can be obtained by calling (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446 or (800) 913-9139(800) 913-9139, ext. 2300.

Gillette College

Gillette College offers suite-style living and is designed to accommodate 3 to 7 suite mates ina combination of single and double occupancy bedrooms.  Suites are arranged in four state-of-the-art buildings organized around a beautifully landscaped courtyard.

All housing facilities are smoke-free.  Further information can be obtained by calling (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254 or (888) 544-5538(888) 544-5538, ext. 2350.

 Residence Hall Application Process

Students should apply for housing as early as possible.  Reservations for rooms in the residence halls are made on a first-come, first-served basis to applicants who are accepted for admission to NWCCD.  Residence hall applications must be accompanied by a deposit which will both confirm the reservation and serve as a damage deposit.  The deposit is refundable if the room is vacated in good condition and the terms of the housing contract are fulfilled.  Single rooms are assigned on a space-available basis and priority is given to return students.

Unless alternate arrangements are made in advance, reservations for residence halls will be honored only until noon the first day of classes.  Rooms may be occupied prior to the first day of classes for each semester at the discretion of the Director and must be vaccated by the closing date specified in the college calander.

Room and Meal Plan Rates

Please check with the Office of Residential Education and Housing on your preferred campus for current rates.

Room and Meal Plan Refunds

Students who officially withdraw from all classes, which in effect cancels the housing contract, may receive a refund that has been prorated for their room and meal plan changes.  A 15% penalty will be deducted from the unused portion of the contract.  No refund is paid to students who withdraw after October 1 for the Fall semester and February 15 for the Spring semester.  In all cases, the deposit will be forfeited.  Students who begin occupancy are bound to the housing contract, and may be released only under certain conditions through an appeal process.

Student Life


 Student Activities

NWCCD is committed to providing the entire college experience.  The activity offerings at Sheridan and Gillette Colleges are designed to enhance a student’s academic coursework.  With community development at its core, the activities programs provide a wide range of services, programs, and organizations which are available to the entire student body.  Through the efforts of both the student and professional activities staff, students learn and practice lifelong leadership skills.  Participation in programs and activities helps build a sense of belonging which enhances the overall college experience and ultimately results in a greater committement to their educational goals.

Student Government

The Student Senate in Sheridan and the Student Government Association (SGA) in Gillette provide a direct link between students and administration.  Executive offices include president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer who are elected in the spring of the previous year.  Representatives serve on campus committees and the group makes recommendations for allocation of student fees.  All students are encouraged to join student government or attend meetings and provide input.  Both groups plan and organize activities available to students.  Experience in leadership and making new friends are two reasons many students become involved in student government.  Weekly meetings are open to all interested students.

Co-Curricular Program for Leadership & Involvement

The Co-Curricular Program is a comprehensive approach to recognizing the educational benefit of learning outside the classroom.  Students use the Co-Curricular transcript to document on and off campus involvement in leadership development activities.  It is an official record of leadership experiences outside the classroom that enhance effective communication, delegation, multiculturalism, ethical descision-making, community relations, leadership theory, and leadership style.  Like the academic transcript, the Co-Curricular transcript is a permanent document for prospective universities and employers.  It records the students’ unique collegiate leadership experiences and is a useful tool in resumé building.

Students are encouraged to begin developing entries their first college semester.  Club sponsors, advisors, work supervisors, and volunteer coordinators can help specify leadership skills gained through involvement in the activities they sponsor.  Students take the lead in maintaining a record of their activities and involvement.  Registration and verification forms are available through the Director of Intramurals & Activities.

Examples of leadership activities eligible for recognition on the co-curricular transcript are volunteer work, campus club executive board member, involvement in off campus community organizations, athletic team membership, intramural team membership, or church involvement.  For more information, contact a member of the Division of Student Affairs.


Sheridan College

  • Ag Club (PAC)

  • Chi Omega Pi Fraternity

  • Choir

  • Computer Club

  • Dental Auxiliary

  • Gay, Straight Alliance (GSA)

  • Hospitality Club

  • Massage Therapy Club

  • Multicultural Diversity Club

  • Non-Traditional Student Organization (NTSO)

  • Nursing Club

  • Pep Band

  • Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society

  • Residence Hall Government

  • Rodeo Club

  • Video Club

  • Welding Club

Gillette College

  • Diesel Club (VICA)

  • Education Club

  • Journalism Club

  • Nursing Club

  • Phi Theta Kappa Honor Soceity

  • Phi Beta Lambda

  • Science Club

  • Welding Club (NEWA)

  • International Club

Intramural Sports

Sheridan College

  • Basketball

  • Soccer

  • Bowling

  • Softball

  • Floor Hockey

  • Tennis

  • Golf

  • Volleyball

  • Indoor Games

Gillette College

Intramural sports vary from semester to semester.  Check with Student Activities Coordinator, (307) 686-0254(307) 686-0254, ext. 2352.

Varsity Sports

  •  Basketball - Mens / Womens, sanctioned by the National Junior College Athletic Association

  • Cross Country & Indoor Track - Mens / Womens, sanctioned by the National Junior College Athletic Association

  • Rodeo - Mens / Womens, competes under the auspices of the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association

  • Volleyball - Womens, sanctioned by the National Junior College Athletic Association

  • Soccer - Mens / Womens, sanctioned by the National Junior College Athletic Association

Academic Information


Academic Divisions

Three academic divisions are established for administration of academic programs at Sheridan College and Gillette College.

Arts & Science
Mercedes Aguirre Batty, Dean
(307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, Ext. 3002
Whitney Building

Health Sciences
Trudy Munsick, Dean
(307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, Ext. 2834
Whitney Building

Agriculture & Technical Careers
Ami Erickson, Dean
(307) 6746446, Ext. 3104
Agricultural Center

Credit By Examination

Students completing CEEB Advanced Placement Examinations may be awarded college credit. Students should check with the Testing Center for minimum scores and awarded credits. Credit will be awarded for successful performance on College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. CLEP information is available through the Testing Center. Requests for institutional challenge exams should be initiated with the academic division and are subject to restrictions. A challenge examination may not be attempted more than once and students who wish credit by exam for a class in which they are currently enrolled must take the exam within the first month of the course. Challenge examinations that are passed with a 70% or greater score will receive a Satisfactory (S) grade for the course. This grade will not affect the student’s grade point average. Note: Some colleges do not accept credits from CLEP or institutional challenge exams.

Transfer of Credits from Approved Institutions

Credit earned at other approved institutions will transfer to NWCCD upon evaluation and approval by the Records Office. Credits will only transfer with those approved courses in which a final grade of “C” or higher is attained. The Records Office is responsible for the evaluation and acceptance of all transfer credit. Students may be required to provide course descriptions and course syllabi before acceptance of the transfer course/credit. No restriction is placed on the age of credits to be transferred with the exception of some nursing courses and science courses to be applied to Dental Hygiene or Nursing degree requirements.

Block Transfer

The Northern Wyoming Community College District has established block transfer agreements with the University of Wyoming. A Block Transfer Agreement is a contract between the colleges and the student to assure smooth transfer of credits between NWCCD and the student’s choice of college at the University. Students who wish to participate in these programs need to request information from their advisors or from the University of Wyoming campus Outreach Office. Current UW block transfer agreements are available for: General Studies/Undeclared College of Arts and Sciences College of Business College of Agriculture College of Education / Elementary Education /College of Engineering.

Correspondence Courses

Correspondence course credits will be accepted only from accredited institutions.

Grading System

The quality of students’ coursework is recorded on their transcripts according to the following system:










Very Good
No Credit (non-graded)
Transfer credit from approved transfer institution

* A grade equivalent to or better than a C, providing credit toward graduation. This entry is restricted to grades for credit by exam & specific courses approved for S/U grading.


Audit (AU): Auditing, the privilege of non-credit enrollment in a credit class. An audit must be declared within the first 21 days of the semester. Requirements for an audit are at the discretion of the instructor. Auditing entails full rights and responsibilities for the course, although auditors are not generally required to take examinations, and no credit or grade is awarded. Audits are subject to the same fee schedule as regular enrollments. Note: Veterans cannot receive benefits to cover expenses for auditing a course.

Incomplete (I): An incomplete may be assigned when a student who is otherwise passing cannot complete a course due to extenuating circumstances. The student must obtain approval from the instructor. If the instructor approves the student’s request, the instructor will outline the steps necessary for the student to complete the course and the date the work must be completed. The maximum allowable time is one year. This form must be on file in the Records Office before or on the date final grades are due during the semester the incomplete is assigned. At the completion of all make-up requirements, the instructor must submit a grade change form to the Records Office. Incomplete grades must be changed to a letter grade (A, B, C, D, F) or S/U grade (if course has been approved with an S/U grading system). An incomplete grade that has not been changed after one year has elapsed will automatically revert to an “F” grade.

Withdrawal (W): The “W” designation is used to show that the student officially withdrew from the course on or before the designated last day to drop, as determined by the Registrar.  Courses dropped during the first 6.25 percent of the class days do not appear on a student’s record. It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from college or from individual classes. Students must pick up a drop form or withdrawal form from the Records Office, obtain all required signatures and return the completed form to the Records Office for processing, or may drop classes using WebAdvisor. Students failing to withdraw from class may receive “F” grades on their permanent record, which will be used when calculating grade point averages.

Repeating Courses


Students may repeat courses to better a previous grade on the recommendation of the advisor. In such cases, both credit entries and both grades appear on the student’s record. However, the credit from any given course, or equivalent course on another campus, is applicable to degree requirements only once. Title IV aid recipients may only count a course once which they are repeating toward enrollment standing for financial aid eligibility if they previously received a letter grade of “D” or higher. The credits and the grade earned in the last attempt are used in calculating grade point average (GPA).

Grade Points

Grade points for each course are found by multiplying the number of credits assigned to the course by the point value (grade points on the grading table below) of the grade received. For example, a student earning an “A” (point value of 4) in a three-credit course would earn 12 grade points for the course.

Grading Table









Grade Point Average

The formula used to calculate grade point averages (GPA) is: GPA = Total grade points earned divided by the total credits attempted.

The grade points for each course are found by multiplying the number of credits earned for the course by the value of the grade received. In this example, a student enrolled in 16 credit hours taking three, three-credit courses and receiving an “A” and two “B”s, one four-credit course for which a “B” was earned, and withdrawing from a three-credit course. The GPA calculation for that semester would look like this:







Grade Points


Total Points









= 12









= 9









= 9









= 12









= 0










Total Points













= 3.23

If the student had not officially withdrawn from the three-credit course
but quit attending and failed the course, the original 16 credits would be used in the calculation as follows:

Total Points













= 2.63

The GPA may be calculated for a semester (as shown above) or
cumulatively (for an entire college career) for different purposes.

Term GPA

The term grade point average (GPA) is the sum of all grade points earned in a semester divided by all credit hours attempted for a letter grade. Credit hours for which marks of S, U, I, AU, TR or W are assigned are excluded from GPA calculations.

Cumulative GPA


Cumulative GPA is used for determining activity eligibility, graduation qualification, probation and dismissal, and for comparisons or measurement of academic standing. The cumulative GPA is also used to evaluate continued eligibility for financial aid and scholarships. The cumulative grade point average includes the total grade points earned divided by total credit hours attempted. As with the semester GPA, credit hours to which marks of S, U, I, AU, TR or W are assigned are excluded from calculations. Courses transferred from other colleges are also excluded. In the case of repeated courses, the grade and credit earned in the last attempt are used to calculate the cumulative grade point average. Transfer grades are not included in the NWCCD grade point average.

Mid-Term Grades

Each semester, mid-term grades for full-time and part-time students are available through WebAdvisor. These grades are not entered on a student’s permanent record and are available to students for informational purposes. For information on mid-term grades, students should contact the Records Office at either campus.

Grading Errors

Occasionally an error is made in calculating or recording a course grade. An instructor can issue a “Change of Grade” if such an error is discovered, either by the instructor or by the student who brings this to the attention of the instructor.

Academic Standing

Students are classified as “in good standing,” “on probation,” or “suspended.” Students failing to meet the institution’s standards of progress will be placed on academic probation or supervision.


  • Academic records are reviewed at the end of each semester. Students who have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours and whose cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is below a 2.0 will be placed on academic probation. A completed course is one in which a grade has been received.

  • A student will be removed from academic probation when his/her cumulative grade point average (CGPA) meets or exceeds a 2.0 CGPA.

  • A student will continue on academic probation if he/she earns a semester GPA of 2.00 or better but fails to reach the Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.0.

  • Students enrolled in a program with specific program standards may be subject to additional program probation and/or suspension, if their grades fall below the level required by program standards.


  • Students on academic probation who fail to show academic progress by earning a semester grade point average of 2.0 or higher will be academically suspended and will not be allowed to register for undergraduate credit courses during the period of suspension.

  • No student will be suspended for academic reasons before he/she has completed at least 24 credit hours at the District. A completed course is one in which a grade has been received. No student will be suspended for academic reasons without first having been placed on academic probation the previous semester of enrollment.

  • Students will be suspended for one regular academic semester (Fall or Spring) and may re-enroll with a status of academic probation.

  • The student may appeal to the Student Appeals Committee to re-enroll the semester immediately following their suspension. Appeal of suspension decisions made by the Student Appeals Committee should be directed to the Dean of Students.

Restriction of Activities for Students on Probation

  • No student on probation is eligible to hold any student office or to represent the District or the student body to the public.

  • Students in their first semester participating in college-sanctioned varsity sports must earn at least a 1.75 cumulative grade point average in at least twelve (12) credit hours to retain eligibility for athletic participation for the second semester. Subsequent cumulative grade point averages must be 2.0 or higher to retain eligibility. In addition, participation in intercollegiate athletics is governed by additional rules of national organizations.

  • An academic probation success plan will be required for each student placed on academic probation. Students on academic probation will meet with an advisor for approval before registering for classes.

Honor Roll / Graduation Honors

Students with exceptional scholastic achievements are honored by being placed on the President’s or Vice President’s list and/or receiving graduation honors.

President’s List

For full-time students to earn a place on the President’s list, they must maintain full-time enrollment by completing 12 or more college-level credit hours with letter grades of A or S and a semester GPA of 4.0.  Credits counted in S graded classes may not exceed one credit.

Vice President’s List

For full-time students to earn a place on the Vice President’s list, they must maintain full-time enrollment by completing 12 credit hours or more with letter grades of A, B, C, or S and a semester GPA of 3.5 or higher.  Credits counted in S graded classes may not exceed one credit.

Part-Time Honor Roll

For part-time students to earn a place on the Part-time Honor Roll, they must have completed 12 or more cumulative credits from previous semesters with letter grades of A, B, C, D, F, S or U with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.  Students must also maintain at least 6 credit hours with letter grades of A, B, C, or S in the current semester.  Credits counted in S graded classes may not exceed one credit.  Note:  Students dropping from full-time to part-time status do not qualify.

Graduation Honors

To qualify for graduation honors, Associate Degree recipients must complete a minimum of 32 hours, and Certificate recipients must complete a minimum of one-half their required courses at Sheridan College. Credits awarded for advanced placement, CLEP, USAFI, and other non-traditional forms of advanced placement do not apply to requirements for graduation honors.

Two types of graduation honors are given: graduating with high honors requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.75. Graduating with honors requires a cumulative minimum GPA of 3.50.


Applications for Graduation are required and must be completed and submitted to the Records Office in order to begin the graduation process. Students will not graduate if a Graduation Application has not been submitted. Applications for students wishing to graduate at the end of the Fall semester are due prior to the end of the semester. Applications for students wishing to graduate at the end of Spring or Summer semesters are due February 15. Applications will be accepted after that date but we cannot guarantee that the student’s name will be printed in the graduation program or that a gown will be available. As part of the graduation application process, students are asked to complete a post reading exam as part of the College’s assessment program.


A transcript serves as a student’s official educational record, detailing courses completed and grades received. Transcripts will not be released if the student has not fulfilled all obligations, educational and financial, to the College. Official Transcripts can only be released at the request of the student or through other provisions as a stated by the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). Transcripts should be requested from the Records Office. Students must provide a written request with signature for the release of a transcript, or through the secured WebAdvisor account that requires a unique personal identification number (PIN). Requests can be completed in the Records Office or sent via fax to Sheridan College at (307) 674-7205(307) 674-7205 or the Gillette College at (307) 687-7141(307) 687-7141. Students needing copies of transcripts from other institutions attended should contact those institutions directly.


Classification is based on the number of credit hours earned as reflected on the student’s transcripts. A freshman is any enrolled student who has completed fewer than 30 credit hours. A sophomore is any enrolled student who has completed 30 or more hours of course work.

University of Wyoming Outreach School

The University of Wyoming offers three certificate programs, six off-campus Bachelor’s degrees and ten Master’s degrees in Northeast Wyoming in cooperation with the Northern Wyoming Community College District.

Certificate Programs:

  • Early Childhood Program Director

  • Land Surveying

Bachelors Degrees:

  • Business Administration

  • Criminal Justice

  • Professional Child Development

  • Psychology

  • RN/BSN Nursing

  • Social Science

Masters Degrees:

  • Business Administration

  • Kinesiology & Health Nurse Educator

  • Public Administration

  • Social Work

  • Speech-Language Pathology


  • Adult & Post-Secondary Education

  • Instructional Technology

  • Special Education

  • Teaching & Learning

UW maintains regional outreach offices at both Sheridan College and Gillette College.

Advising for all facets of the off-campus programs is available from:

Dawn Kiesel
Academic Coordinator
Whitney Building, Rm. 121C
Sheridan College, P.O. Box 1500
Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
Phone (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 4550 or 4551. Fax (307) 672-5798

Becky Johnston
Administrative Assistant
Whitney Building, Rm. 121A
Sheridan College, P.O. Box 1500
Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
Phone (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446, ext. 4550 or 4551. Fax (307) 672-5798

Lori Jahnke
Administrative Assistant
ljahnke@sheridan.edu Gillette College, 300 W. Sinclair St.
Gillette, Wyoming 82718
Phone (307) 686-0044(307) 686-0044. Fax (307) 686-3844

Transfer Programs

Many programs and courses of study in this catalog have been planned for transfer to the University of Wyoming. Students who plan to attend another college or university may have requirements waived or substituted. Students should present evidence of alternate requirements to their advisors who will assist them in completing the procedures for substitution or waivers. Students should annually review the current catalog or bulletin from the college or university to which they plan to transfer in order to stay abreast of changes.




Equal Opportunity

Northern Wyoming Community College District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political affiliation or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its educational programs or activities. Inquiries concerning Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act may be referred to NWCCD’s Human Rights Officers: Kevin Price, Director of Human Resources, 307-674-6446307-674-6446 or Mark Englert, Vice President for Gillette College, 307- 686-0254307- 686-0254. Inquiries also may be made to the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 1244 Speer Boulevard, Suite 310, Denver, CO 80204, (303) 884-3417(303) 884-3417or Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 303 East 17th Avenue, Suite 510, Denver, CO 80203.

Sexual Harassment

Northern Wyoming Community College District will not tolerate sexual harassment or harassment on the basis of any other protected classification. Sexual harassment constitutes discrimination and is illegal under federal, state and local laws. NWCCD is committed to an educational and work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Individuals engaging in such conduct will be subject to disciplinary action.

Drug-Free Campus

Recognizing that the improper use of narcotics and other controlled substances has been a significant problem to society in general and that their sale, use and abuse can threaten the safety, morale and public image of individuals and the District, a policy regarding illegal drugs has been established as follows: “No person will be admitted or hired who is known to be a user, promoter or seller of any controlled substance, as that term is defined in state and federal statutes. Use or possession of illegal drugs (controlled substances) on College premises or during working hours, including break or meal periods, or working under the influence of illegal drugs, is strictly prohibited. Any employee or student violating this policy may be referred to drug counseling programs, drug rehabilitation programs or employee assistance programs or may be disciplined, up to and including dismissal for the first offense. Any employee or student who is found to be a seller or involved in the sale, solicitation or dealing in illegal drugs will be discharged from employment and/or classes of the College.”

Smoking Policy

Smoking is prohibited in all buildings. Smoking is allowed outdoors, except where expressly prohibited by sign or where entrances and walkways are impeded. Faculty conducting classes or activities outdoors may prohibit smoking to the immediate area during the class/activity period.

Student Rights/ Responsibilities

It is the responsibility of each student to acquire, read and understand college policies and procedures governing both academic topics and student life including rules of conduct. This information is published in the College Catalog and Student Handbook and made available to students.

Student Right-to-Know

Student Right-to-Know informationis available on the College website at http://www.sheridan.edu/srtk or by request through the Office of Institutional Research, (307) 674-6446(307) 674-6446.  This website includes valuable information about campus security policy and campus crime; drug & alcohol abuse prevention; graduation and transfer rates; graduate placement; student cohort retention; student privacy; student complaint process; equity in athletics; financial assistance services; student handbook; College policies pertaining to students; tuition, fee and book costs; and student characteristics.  Students are encouraged to contact the Dean of Students or Dean of Enrollment Services questions about the information provided or additional needs.

Student Conduct

Students are expected to conform to rules of conduct adopted by the college. Rules of conduct are in effect at all times on campus, whenever a student is representing Sheridan College or Gillette College, and whenever a student is being transported in a college owned or sponsored vehicle. Specific rules of conduct and disciplinary procedures are outlined in the Policy and Procedures Handbook and the Student Handbook.

Student Complaints/Appeals/Grievances

Students are encouraged to contact their instructor, the Dean of Students or other College Administrator when an issue of concern arises.  Most times, problems can be resolved at the initial level.  If a problem continues, students should schedule time with the Dean of Students to further address the concern.

A Student Appeals process, as outlined Series 2005.1 of the College’s Policy and Procedure Handbook, is available to all students for appeals related to financial aid, operations of the college, residency, academic standing, academic concerns, or student life.  Committee membership includes representation from administrative staff, classified staff, faculty and students.  The Committee will develop a response to appeals following College policy, procedures, and practices.

A formal grievance process is also available to students.  Students should meet with the Dean of Students in an effort to resolve the issue informally.  If those efforts fail, the student may prepare a formal grievance and the grievance enters a formal hearing phase.  A committee is formed to review the complaint.  If it is found to have merit, a formal hearing is held and the committee submits written findings and a recommendation to the Dean of Students or designee; the Dean or designee makes the final decision. 

Academic Honesty

Students at Sheridan College and Gillette College are expected to maintain the highest standards of academic honesty and integrity. Academic honesty means performing all academic work without lying, cheating, deceit, plagiarism, misrepresentation, or unfairly gaining advantage over other students. Violations of academic honesty are in violation of Northern Wyoming Community College District standards for student conduct and shall result in disciplinary action pursuant to college policies and procedures (Policy 6005). It is the responsibility of both the student and the person in charge of an academic task to make reasonable efforts to learn of, or make known the expectations and standards of conduct required in the performance of an academic task. Failure on the part of the student to observe and maintain required standards of academic honesty may result in corrective action by the Northern Wyoming Community College District.


Attendance policies are determined by individual instructors in coordination with Division Chairs and Deans at Sheridan College or the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs at Gillette College. Students may be permitted to make up work at the discretion of the instructor. In the event of an extended absence four or more days, students should contact their faculty advisor or the advising office prior to the absence. Authorized absence slips will be issued for personal reasons, such as a death in the family, an accident or extended illness. While advance notice may not be possible in some instances, notification should be made as early in the period of absence as possible. Absences incurred in order to represent the institution in athletics or other activities, for field trips or for other official capacities will be reported in advance by the faculty member in charge of the activity or the Athletic Department in Sheridan or by the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs in Gillette. In these instances, coursework should be completed prior to the absence. Regardless of reason for absence from class, students will be responsible for all course assignments and requirements.

College Closures

Severe weather conditions occasionally require the closure of all or part of the District. This decision is made by the President or designee and is based on road and travel information from the Wyoming Highway Department and the status of campus roads and parking lots as reported by maintenance personnel. A decision to close any part of the District will be made prior to 6:30 a.m. and will be announced on local radio stations. If no announcement is made, students should assume that classes will be held.

Disciplinary Action - Alcohol/Drugs

Pursuant to changes made in 1997 to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, the district may contact parents or legal guardians of students under the age of 21 who are involved in disciplinary actions related to the use or abuse of alcohol or drugs. This notification may take place when it is deemed prudent by the district in order to protect the health and well-being of the student. Procedures for informing parents or legal guardians are as follows:

  • Parents or legal guardians may be notified after the second offense.

  • Notification may take place after the first offense if the situation is considered violent and/or threatening to the health or well-being of the student or of a victim, or are multiple violations of the code of conduct are committed.

  • Information releases will include the name of the student, the violation committed, and any sanctions imposed. The information will be released only at the conclusion of the disciplinary process.

  • Notification will be coordinated by the Chief Student Services Officer.

Family Educational Rights& Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA gives students certain rights with respect to their educational records. These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request is submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

  • The right to request the amendment of a student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate. Students may ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. They should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records except to the extent that FERPA authorizes without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the College discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

  • Students’ records are open to other school officials, including teachers within the educational institution or local education agency who have been determined to have legitimate educational interest, and those others specified in the act. 

  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20202-4605

Directory Information

Directory information may be released to anyone upon request, unless official notice is received from the student to withhold that information. Written notice to withhold dissemination must be submitted to the Registrar. Information that may be released includes the following:

  • Name and Address

  • Telephone Listing

  • E-mail address

  • Date and Place of Birth

  • Major Fields of Current Study

  • Campus

  • Previous Schools Attended

  • Participation in Officially Recognized Activities/Sports

  • Weight and Height of Members of Athletic Teams

  • Dates of Attendance

  • Degrees and Awards

Information on procedures pertaining to privacy rights is made available to students at registration.

Emergency Messages

Emergency messages are handled by the Admissions & Advising Office at Sheridan College and the Records Office at Gillette College. Messages should be limited to actual emergencies.