HLTK 1760 - Relaxation Techniques
This course covers three types of relaxation methods (breathing, visualization and movement) and how they can be integrated. It includes practicing these stress-management techniques as well as learning to instruct others in them.
Instructional Method Lecture/Lab
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of (HLTK 1760 Relaxation Techniques) , the student will:
- Describe, practice and teach the relaxation response.
- Relax clients during MT.
- Explain the anatomy and mechanics of breath.
- Describe, practice and teach three breathing techniques for relaxation.
- Describe, practice and guide others through scripted relaxing visualizations and through methods of creating individualized visualizations.
- Guide MT clients through the use of visualization techniques to describe body symptoms, therapy modalities and effects.
- Describe, practice and teach movement as a relaxation method, including range of motion exercises for injuries, several styles of stretching (Tai Chi and yoga) as well as traditional exercise programs.
- Identify the indications and contraindications for different breathing, visualization and movement relaxation.
- Present clients with an integrated approach to stress-management.
PO# 1 Identify contradictions
PO# 2 Integrate protocols of a given modality as needed during treatment
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)