Mar 23, 2023
PEPR 1040 - Sports First Aid
This course provides students with a basic understanding of sports injuries. Sport First Aid teaches the skills necessary to recognize common sport injuries and administer the appropriate first aid treatments. The course is designed to meet the Wyoming State Coaches’ certification requirements for sport first aid. Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive a certification in Sport First Aid from the American Sport Education Program and CPR/First Aid from the American Heart Association.
Instructional Method Combined Lecture/Lab
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of PEPR 1040 Sport First Aid , the student will:
- Design an emergency action plan for appropriate response to emergency situations.
- Identify specific anatomical landmarks.
- Define sport injury terminology.
- Develop a sport first aid game plan.
- Describe first response injury evaluation.
- Demonstrate correct emergency response including CPR and AED.
- Describe the signs and symptoms of various sport injuries and common illnesses.
- Recognize the signs of sudden illnesses.
- Describe the appropriate treatment for various sports injuries and illnesses.
- Demonstrate the correct immobilization and transport techniques.
- Describe the components of a sport first aid kit.
- Describe the principles specific to attaining and maintaining a high level of health and fitness for the athlete.
- Administer various assessments including fitness, strength, and motor skills tests.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)