Apr 01, 2023
MEDA 1570 - Medical Assisting Office Practicum
This course is designed to give the beginning medical assistant student a foundation in practice within a medical office. Students complete 180 hours of practicum in a medical office setting and experience the administrative concepts of customer service, medical reception, medical business practices, establishing medical records, scheduling appointments, practice finances, and office etiquette.
Instructional Method Clinical
Admission to the Medical Assistant Program
Minimum Student Competencies
Upon completion of MEDA 1570 Medical Assisting Office Practicum, the student will:
- implement correct use of medical terminology.
- develop an understanding of legal and ethical issues involved within medical practice settings.
- demonstrate professional characteristics for the medical assistant.
- demonstrate effective communication techniques.
- examine effective facilities management.
- demonstrate proficiency with medical office equipment and procedures.
- assemble the patient’s medical record.
- employ competency with electronic documentation systems.
- describe the impact on patient care when medical assistants understand the essentials of medical insurance.
- review the correct procedure for diagnostic coding.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)