NWCCD 2008-09 Catalog 
    Jun 13, 2024  
NWCCD 2008-09 Catalog [This is an Archived Catalog.]

NWCCD General Information

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.





“Creating student success through educational leadership.”

To achieve this, the College provides the following:

  • General education to furnish students with a common core of knowledge appropriate to an Associate degree holder;
  • Programs of study at the freshman and sophomore levels to prepare students to successfully transfer to the baccalaureate program of their choice;
  • Technical education and training to prepare students to enter or re-enter the job market, emphasizing employment opportunities in the College service area;
  • Continuing education to assist people in upgrading job skills for career advancement and in gaining personal enrichment;
  • Assistance to students in successfully meeting their educational goals through an appropriate variety of student support programs; and
  • Help in the economic, cultural and educational development of service area communities through its programs, the sharing of its human and physical resources and through cooperative efforts with appropriate individuals and organizations.

The College mission statement directs that our efforts, our resources and our planning and evaluation focus on ways of creating success for every student. Student success is a team effort.

While the faculty, staff and Board of Trustees are committed to taking the lead in creating student success, students also share in this responsibility. We welcome you to NWCCD and look forward to working with you to achieve your educational goals.


Our College strives to set the standard of excellence in higher education by:

  • Creating meaningful and engaging learning opportunities through innovative teaching and learning,
  • Attracting and supporting diverse and creative people and ideas,
  • Strengthening community and industry relationships by providing programs and services responsive to our constituents’ needs, and
  • Developing leaders to maintain and enhance the quality of economic, social, and cultural life in our communities.

Core Values

♦ Respect
♦ Integrity
♦ Excellence
♦ Learning

WCCC Mission

The purpose of the Wyoming Community College Commission is to serve the State of Wyoming by ensuring access to the best quality community college educational opportunities possible, within the resources available, and balancing the public’s interest in accountability with the institutions’ interest in advocacy.” (August, 1994) NWCCD Sheridan College/Northern Wyoming Community District encompasses all of Sheridan County, Wyoming; the District’s service area also covers nearby Johnson and Campbell counties. The Board of Trustees oversees the operations of Sheridan College in Sheridan, Wyoming and the Gillette College in Gillette, Wyoming. The District also offers outreach classes in Buffalo and Kaycee in Johnson County and in selected other communities in the three-county service area.


Sheridan College

Founded in 1948, Sheridan College has an average credit enrollment of 1,700 students, over half of whom are enrolled full-time. The 124+ acre campus features modern, well-equipped facilities and attractive grounds. Over twenty campus buildings house academic, student services and residential operations.

Locale: Sheridan, Wyoming (pop. 15,800) is located along I-90 in the scenic northeastern corner of the state. The Big Horn Mountains rise to 13,165 feet above Sheridan’s 3,745 feet, and provide year-round recreation for outdoor enthusiasts. The fine arts are an integral part of community life in Sheridan. Artistic, musical and theatrical groups provide outlets for performers and artists and sponsor a variety of events. Griffith Student Services Center: This 9,000 square foot facility was opened in the fall of 1993 to provide a centralized location for student services offices including Admissions, Financial Aid, Advising and Testing and Registration and Records.

Whitney Building: This multi-use facility which connects to the Student Services Center includes the Center for Technology-Enhanced Learning (CTEL) and classrooms for Fine Arts, Humanities, Business and Computers, Nursing, and Dental Hygiene. Several administrative and service offices are located in this building, including the President, Vice-President of Administration, Business Office, Student Services, and Information Technology.

Center for Technology-Enhanced Learning (CTEL): Completed in 1999, this state-of-the-art facility features a 260-capacity presentation hall with twin rear-screen projection units and connections for laptop computers in the seating area; a teaching theater; a flexible classroom and research and development area. All instruction facilities are designed for real-time electronic interaction between the students and the instructor.

Thorne-Rider Student Commons: This building houses the cafeteria, snack bar, game room, student lounge, bookstore, and offices for Housing and Student Life, Student Senate, Food Service and Campus Police.

Residence Halls: Students who prefer the convenience offered by on-campus housing will find state-of-the-art residence facilities on the Sheridan campus. Completed in 1998, Founders Hall features electronic security control, in-room phone, computer and cable TV access, quiet study lounges, group kitchens, laundry room, an exercise room and a computer lab, and can house 92 students. The newly-remodeled South Residence Hall offers similar features and has a capacity of 82 students. Housing is also available in three additional, smaller units with combined capacity for 87 students. Rooms to accommodate handicapped students are available. Residence halls are primarily co-educational but single-gender accommodations are available as well.  Brand new this fall is our Whitney Villas which includes 88 beds with all the comforts of home.  Eighty percent of the room in the new Villas are single occupancy. 

Family Housing: A six-unit apartment building for married and single-parent students is located on campus. Furnished one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments are available. The design of two of the units has been modified to provide access for handicapped individuals.

Technical Center: The Career/Technical Center houses programs in Diesel Technology, Applied Electronics, Engineering Technology, Machine Tool Technology, Criminal Justice and Welding.

Mohns Center:  An observation deck, telescope, Foucault pendulum and classroom are located in this unique facility.

Griffith Memorial Building: The GMB houses the Library, adult education and tutoring programs, informational technology labs, photo lab, language lab, classrooms, UW classrooms, and Special Collections. The Vice President for Enrollment Services, Sheridan College Foundation and Professional Development Center also maintain offices in this building.

Science Center: A greenhouse plus classrooms and laboratories for math, chemistry, physics, biology geology, paleontology, and anatomy and physiology are located in this facility.

PE/Activities Center: Named for retired Sheridan College basketball coach Bruce Hoffman, “The Winningest Coach in Region IX,” the Bruce Hoffman Golden Dome contains a gymnasium with seating space for 2,700 people for athletic and special events, fitness center, running track, classroom, and athletic department offices.

Agriculture Education Complex. Created to serve not only the educational needs of Sheridan College students, but also to provide a research facility and a training center for regional industry, the center provides classroom and laboratory facilities for Aquaculture, Agriculture, Biotechnology, Meat and Food Science, Animal Science, Range Management, Hospitality Management, and Culinary. It also includes a greenhouse, land laboratory for plant research; and an outdoor arena. At the center of the building is a study center with computers.

Sheridan College Main Street:  The Center for Vital Community and the Office of Workforce Services make their home at our downtown location.  This facility also houses a large classroom and conference room in addition to an art gallery.

Gillette College

NWCCD began offering classes in Campbell County in 1969. The classroom building at the center of the main campus was completed in 2003 and features distinctive architecture that is spacious and sunny.

Locale: Gillette College is located in Gillette, Wyoming (pop. 25,000) on the high plains between the Black Hills of South Dakota and the Big Horn Mountains of northeastern Wyoming. Vast coal and oil reserves have earned the area the nickname of “The Energy Capital of North America.”

A Main Building: Gillette College is housed in a new facility opened in the fall of 2003. It is a 66,000 square foot building designed to give students a state-of-the-art learning atmosphere. Students can grab an espresso from the bookshop, study in the library, and even sit in front of the fireplace and relax, in the center area of the building known as the Commons. Included in the Commons area is the conveniently located Student Services Offices including Financial Aid, Records, Admissions, and Academic Advising. The east wing of the facility is home to many faculty offices, and includes three science labs, Biology, Chemistry, and Geology/Physics, all filled with the latest in technology. In addition, there is a 160 seat Teaching Theatre/Presentation Hall that will allow not only small forums, but also guest lecturers. The west wing includes four computer labs, including one wireless lab. The Mining, Safety, and Health Administration offices are located at the end of this wing, as well as the University of Wyoming Outreach offices. Upstairs, students will find the administrative offices, as well as the information technology offices.

Diesel Technology Building: This building, located at 509 S. 2nd Street, houses the Diesel Technology Program. This building was originally owned by the Department of Transportation, so its 12,000 square feet are well designed for mechanical work.

The Welding Technology Center: The Welding program is located at 3306 N. Highway 14-16. The building has recently been re-done and its 9,000 square feet contain modern equipment.

Instructional Technology & Education Center (I-TEC):  Located at 1001 South Dough Highway, this facility is home to the Industrial Electric Program and Workforce Training. This addition to Gillette College provides over 2,000 square feet of instructional space. These buildings house skills-based integrated learning systems provided by Amatrol. The Amatrol system is customized to provide skills training designed to meet the demands of local industry.  Complementing this facility is a mobile lab that provides the same type of training at job sites around the state.


Sheridan College and the Gillette College are fully accredited by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Nursing, Dental Hygiene, and Massage Therapy programs carry additional professional accreditations.

Certification is available in some technical programs through state and national program accreditation, or through specific industry certification.

Community Connections


 Sheridan College Foundation

The Sheridan College Foundation is a non-profit organization that raises, manages and distributes funds to support and promote Sheridan College and its students. Charitable contributions of all sizes help provide student scholarships and assist with special purchases and projects that benefit students and the local community. The Sheridan College Foundation is housed in the Griffith Memorial Building on campus. For more information, contact: Linda Lawrence, Director of Development: Sheridan College Foundation P.O. Box 6328 Sheridan, WY 82801 (307) 674-6446, ext. 4302 (800) 913-9139, ext. 4302. Email: lawrence@sheridan.edu.

Campbell County Higher Education Foundation

The Campbell County Higher Education Foundation is a non-profit organization set up to enhance the offerings and operations of the Gillette College. This is done by contributions to help support our young students prepare, through education, for life’s many challenges. We provide scholarships, equipment, technology and any other special requests as needed. The Foundation office is housed in the upstairs offices of the Gillette College Main Building. Vida Wilkinson, Director Campbell County Higher Education Foundation: Gillette College, 300 West Sinclair, Gillette, WY 82718, 307)686-0254, ext. 1303. Email: vwilkinson@sheridan.edu.

Center for a Vital Community at Sheridan College

Created to serve as a resource for the Sheridan community, the Center for a Vital Community is housed at the Main Street location of Sheridan College. The center’s vision is that it will be recognized as the forum that joins all Sheridan County citizens together across lines of differing ideologies to identify and respond to our area’s civic issues in the spirit of openness and respect. The goals are to empower people to become actively involved in the work of the community; to support citizens in making informed and thoughtful decisions; to promote partnerships that build on community resources; and to share experience with other communities. For more information, contact: Jenny Craft, Director Center for a Vital Community: Sheridan College P.O. Box 1500 Sheridan, WY 82801-1500 (307) 674-6446, ext. 4203. Email: jcraft@sheridan.edu.

Student Information



Admission Criteria

NWCCD will admit students based on the following criteria:

  • Applicants who are at least 16 years old.
  • High school students who have their principal’s approval to enroll in selected college courses.
  • Applicants who, because of unusual circumstances, might be better served by the college.
  • International applicants who score at least 500 on TOEFL test.

Application for Admission

Applicants are encouraged to apply at least one month prior to their planned date of registration. Earlier application is recommended for those seeking financial-aid or on-campus housing (Sheridan only). Applications for those services will not be considered until the individual has been accepted for admission. For advising and financial aid purposes, an official high school transcript with the graduation date included and official transcripts from each college previously attended should be sent by those institutions directly to the Enrollment Services office at Sheridan College or the Admissions office at Gillette College depending on intended place of enrollment. GED recipients should submit an official copy of their GED certificate. All trnscripts and material submitted become the property of Sheridan College and cannot be returned. Dental Hygiene, Massage Therapy and Nursing Programs have separate requirements and deadlines. Check with those departments for information or refer to specific program descriptions for details. Applicants should contact the appropriate campus if notice of acceptance has not been received prior to registration day. Prompt notification is requested if an applicant decides not to attend.

Application Process

Admissions forms are available from high school counselors, from the College Admissions offices or online at www.sheridan.edu.

Sheridan College
Enrollment Services
P.O. Box 1500
Sheridan, WY 82801
(307) 674-6446, ext. 2002

Gillette College
Admissions Office
300 West Sinclair Street
Gillette, WY 82716 (307) 686-0254, ext. 1410 or 1411

Toll Free
(800) 913-9139
Sheridan College ext. 2002
Gillette College ext. 1410 or 1411

Program Admission

Admission to NWCCD does not guarantee admission to any specific program of the College.


Official high school or GED transcripts are not required for admission to NWCCD but may be required for specific programs and financial aid. Students are encouraged to submit official transcripts from all high schools, colleges, and univeristies attended in order to assist with academic advising.


Sheridan College requires students housed in residence halls to submit proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella. Copies of the student’s vaccination record should be sent directly to the housing office. It is also recommended that all residence hall students receive the Meningococcal vaccination before arriving on campus. Additional information regarding the vaccination requirements is available from the Director of Housing and Student life.

Entrance Exams

College entrance examinations such as the ACT or SAT are not required for admission but are helpful in the advising and placement process. When taking such exams, students are asked to include Sheridan College or Gillette College as an institution that should receive their scores. Some programs offered through NWCCD may require additional tests for entrance.

Placement Tests

All full-time students and all students taking a math and/or English class are required to take COMPASS placement exams. Results are used by advisors to place students in the appropriate classes. Advisors will not approve enrollment in any course at a higher level than that indicated by the placement test results. The cost of each test is $5 and must be paid in advance. Costs and placement levels may be subject to change. Students must show a photo ID and proof of payment prior to taking a placement test. Current ACT scores may also be used for placement into Math and English courses. Please contact an academic advisor for current placement levels. To schedule an appointment contact the Testing Center in Sheridan at 674-6446, ext. 2001 or in Gillette at 307-686-0254, ext. 1455.


Orientation is required for all new students enrolled in a degree-seeking program or enrolled for six (6) or more credit hours. Failure to complete orientation will delay registration in the subsequent semester. For more information, contact the Enrollment Services Office at Sheridan College or the Advising Offices at Gillette College.


Advising & Registration



Schedules of classes offered each semester are available prior to registration periods to allow students to consult with advisors and plan their schedules. Current course schedules are also available on the College website: www.sheridan.edu. Registration begins several weeks in advance of each semester.

Credit-Types Available

NWCCD offers credit toward graduation through instructed classes including concurrent enrollment, independent study and credit by examination. We also offer a number of non-credit courses as well as access to higher degrees through our partnerships with other institutions and distance learning.

Instructed Classes

In addition to conventional classroom instruction, “instructed classes” can encompass a variety of delivery methods and course configuration, including:

Online classes: These courses are taught completely online with no “on campus” activities required. Online classes may require students to maintain a set pace through course activities, including web-based quizzes and testing. Classes may also require participation in online learning communities, including timely readings and postings to discussion lists.

Online hybrid classes: These classes are a combination of traditional class meetings and Internet participation.

Web enhanced classes: On campus classes that utilize online tools to deliver content, assessment and communications.

Video Conferencing classes: Classes that are taught “on campus” through an interactive video system. These classes allow students to take a class that is taught by an instructor on either the Gillette or Sheridan campus while simultaneously connecting with students on the opposite campus.

Special Studies: Special studies or “topics” classes are temporary courses normally offered for one or two semesters. Subsequently, they may be given permanent status through the regular course approval process.

Cooperative Education: This refers to learning situations in which students spend time in a real work-place environment, and in which the students, the work supervisor and the course instructor cooperate in assuring that the student achieves the designated learning objectives through workplace experiences. The experience may be paid or unpaid and may involve various combinations of class time, written assignments, assessments, and work time, depending on the design of the program. Types of cooperative education include apprenticeships, clinical experiences, and internships.

Flexible Learning: This refers to a course or program that is characterized by pre-testing to measure the student’s achievement of specific competencies in a discipline, occupation or subject. An open-entry/open-exit program is designed to accommodate students with widely varying backgrounds or learning rates. These programs allow a student to work at his or her own pace within a specified time frame. The student’s progress is determined by the achievement of measurable objectives in these “competency-based” programs.

Competency-Based: Any course or program in which student assessment is based solely or primarily on the student’s achievement of specific, measurable standards of performance on prescribed tasks is considered to be competency-based. The student completes the course when he or she has demonstrated proficiency at a specified level on all the required tasks or skills. A competency-based course or program may be offered in an open-entry/open-exit format.

Concurrent Enrollment

NWCCD and participating high schools allow students to simultaneously earn high school and college credits for a course. These agreements are intended to help students define their goals more clearly and to plan their educational programs more accurately. High school credit for college courses is only available if approved by the high school administration. The high school is responsible for paying tuition and fees to the college for articulated concurrent enrollment courses.

Independent Study

This is an option for students to complete college coursework outside the usual classroom environment and under the supervision of a qualified instructor. Independent Studies are developed in coordination with an instructor who supervises the project or course work and are reviewed by the appropriate Dean.

Distance Learning

The College offers several distance-learning options: Online classes, Online Hybrids (some on-campus attendance is required), and Video Conferencing classes. Online classes allow students to log-in on his or her schedule while video classes are conducted in real time between our Sheridan and Gillette Colleges.

Online Learning

Online courses are open to all self-motivated and self-disciplined students who are ready for college-level work and who are comfortable studying independently. Distance Learning provides the flexibility that mature students need to juggle their many responsibilities while advancing their career and personal goals in a more convenient manner. Before enrolling in an online course, students should evaluate their work and learning styles in order to see if they have the appropriate strengths to be successful as an independent learner. Students who are aware of the additional work and discipline required to excel in an online class are much more likely to succeed in an online environment. Some students mistakenly sign up for online courses believing that these courses will be easier or the workload lighter because they do not have regular face-to-face meetings. However, online courses often require more work and self-discipline than their face-to-face counterparts. If students have questions regarding what is necessary to be successful in an online course, they are encouraged to contact an advisor.

Technology Requirements

Online students should have regular access to a computer with CD- ROM and Internet connection. Confidence using a word processing program, web browser, and email is also recommended. Computers are available in the libraries on both the Sheridan and Gillette Campuses.

Earning Advanced Degrees

Today’s technology makes it possible to obtain 4-year and graduate- level degrees from schools across the nation without leaving your hometown. Our focus is to bring you programs that offer the best possible avenues for completing your education while enrolled at Sheridan College or Gillette College, offering you substantial savings in time and money. Through the Office of Higher Education Services, we offer contact information and referrals for a variety of programs to complete bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees through online, compressed video, correspondence, and on-site classes. Students pursuing their advanced degrees from a ‘partnering university’ also may use the student services available on campus. Currently we have community college alliance partnerships with the following universities:

  • Capella University
  • Franklin University
  • Regis University
  • University of Mary
  • University of Wyoming
  • Upper Iowa University

For more information, contact the Office of Higher Education Services at (307) 686-0254, ext. 1411.

Instructional Training & Education Center (I-TEC):
Workforce Development & Personal Enrichment

An important objective of the Northern Wyoming Community College District is to provide continuing education opportunities for the citizens of Sheridan, Johnson and Campbell counties. The College offers a variety of courses on a continual basis to meet the training needs of employers. Sheridan College and Gillette College offer training to provide people with skills to remain or advance in the work force, to meet the needs of individuals or groups for continued professional education, and to help new and existing businesses in the service area. These courses are for upgrading job skills, developing new skills, or personal interest.

Seminars, courses and training can be customized to meet specific client requirements or employers may access the open enrollment classes available on an ongoing basis. Customized training is flexible regarding scheduling and location and fees are established on a course-by-course basis, based on such factors as the amount of instruction needed, the number of employees involved and the materials involved. The focus is on providing excellent, cost-effective training that meets industry standards. For more information, contact the I-TEC Office at Sheridan (307) 674-6446, ext. 4501, or Gillette (307) 686-0254, ext 1315.

Non-credit courses for personal growth and enrichment of life are offered under the heading of Community Service. Topics for these classes are determined by requests from people in the community. These classes are self- supporting and fees are set according to cost for presenting the class.

For more information, call the Sheridan office at (307) 674-6446, ext. 4501, or the Gillette office at (307) 686-0254, ext 1315.

MSHA Safety Training Center

The WY MSHA State Grant Program has been training miners and mine contractors in Wyoming for over 30 years. During the fall of 1987, the Gillette College was awarded the Wyoming State Mine, Health and Safety Training Grant for Wyoming miners and mine contractors by the State Mine Inspector. The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) established the State’s Grant program to ensure that miners are receiving safety training.

The WY MSHA State Grant Program employs a full-time Grant Manager/Trainer, two Coordinator/Trainers, one full time Trainer and several part-time instructors in order to provide Surface and Underground New Miner and Annual Refresher Training, First Aid, CPR, various certification courses and seminar topics as well as WY Mine Foreman Exam Review. Classes are scheduled on campus or can be conducted at the job site. Specialty training can also be designed to meet specific customer needs. For questions, please contact the Gillette College MSHA Safety Training Center at (307) 686-0254, ext. 1680


Learning Assistance



The Northern Wyoming Community College District’s libraries at Sheridan College and Gillette College offer collections of online books, music, art, periodicals and streaming video as well as traditional format books, journals and audiovisual titles.

The NWCCD libraries are members of the WYLD Network, which provides an online catalog and a shared circulation system for the Wyoming colleges and public libraries. Access to online full-text materials in more than 60 databases provided through direct purchase by the libraries and via the Wyoming State Library.

The NWCCD libraries in Sheridan and Gillette provide access to academic resources and recreational reading for students, faculty, staff, and community members with an expanded schdule during the Fall and Spring Semesters; the summer schedule is five days a week (excluding holidays). Full details about the schedule are available on the library website. Each library offers space for quiet study, for leisure reading and for small group study or meetings.

Online content is available to students and employees via their Internet connection; those connecting from off campus can log one through the College’s online student portal. Students can visit the library’s website at www.sheridan.edu/library for more information.

Sheridan College Library

Located on the main level of the Griffith Memorial Building, the Griffith Memorial Library is a selective depository for federal government publications and maps, and focuses that collection on locally important agricultural, geologic and demographic information. Archival and historical materials related to area history and Sheridan College is housed in the Gordon Ward Special Collections Room and are available by appointment.

The library has multimedia equipment to provide students listening and viewing stations on computers or at AV stations for CDs, VHS or DVD videos, and microforms. Technology available to students includes computer stations for research and academic projects plus an ADA station for those who need adaptive technology support. There are also a limited number of laptop computers for off-campus circulation.

Gillette College Library

The Elizabeth Kerns Daly Memorial Library is located on the main level of Gillette College across from the bookstore. The 14-station open computer lab and two study rooms with computers are available to students and the public. The Library collection is designed to meet the academic needs of programs offered at the college. Laptop computers are available for students to checkout and use on and off campus. The library has a variety of audio-visual equipment, a photocopier, paper curret, staplers and pencil sharpeners. Stop in for more information, a tour, or just to say hello to the library staff.

Counseling Services

NWCCD has a Licensed Professional Counselor on staff to assist students in a variety of areas including stress management, adjustment to college, relationship and anxiety issues, and other areas in which students are experiencing difficulties managing their personal and academic lives.

Our counselor practices from a cognitive behavioral model in a BRIEF counseling format. Students who require more intensive long-term counseling and/or psychotherapy will be referred to appropriate therapists. For more information, please call (307) 674-6446, ext. 2008.

Enrollment Services

Academic advising is a decision-making process involving a partnership between the advisor and the student. Its purpose is to promote informed and independent choices by the student. While students are ultimately responsible for the choices they make in their program of study and course selection, the advisor is an important link to other resources in the college community. Students will receive assistance with their educational learning plan from an academic and/or faculty advisor. Academic advisors will assist in various interest and personality inventories to aid students in selecting a career path that will be both interesting and rewarding. The final decision is, of course, the student’s. Academic advisors also assist students in setting up class schedules and in the registration process.

At Sheridan College, students are assigned Faculty Advisors based on their program of study. General Studies and/or undeclared students will work with an academic advisor. At Gillette College, most students work with an academic advisor. Students are expected to take the initiative in developing the advisor-advisee relationship and to have an ever-increasing role in developing their own academic, career, and personal goals. Students planning to transfer to four-year institutions should obtain a catalog from the transfer institution or access it on-line and work with their advisor to tailor a series of courses based on the requirements of the transfer institution.

Career Center

The Career Center provides services to students who are interested in exploring various academic majors and career options. Services include interest and personality inventories; advising and career consultation; connections to professionals working in numerous fields; and resume, interviewing, and placement assistance. Please contact the Career Center Offices in Sheridan at (307) 674-6446, ext. 2001, or on the Gillette College at (307) 686-0254, ext. 1410 or 1411.

Special Instructional Programs

Sheridan College and Gillette College offer programs for the improvement of basic skills as well as assistance in specific college academic topics. Since many of these programs are dependent upon grant funding, which may change annually, students should check with the advisors at the College to see what assistance is currently available.

Adult Basic Education (ABE/GED/E.S.O.L.)

Adult Basic Education services are offered for those adults who need additional work in basic skills such as reading, writing, spelling, and math. Sheridan College Adult Education Office (307) 674-6446, ext. 2700 (800) 913-9139, ext. 2700 Gillette College Learning Center (307) 686-0254, ext. 1451.

Literacy & English for Speakers of Other Languages

Gillette College offers daytime classes for ESOL students. One-on-one and small group tutoring along with citizenship preparation is also available. Sheridan College offers small group ESOL instruction at flexible times and locations. Sheridan area students should call (307) 674-6446, ext. 2700. In Gillette, please call (307) 686-0254, ext. 1458.

GED (General Educational Development)

Students wishing to prepare for the GED certificate must take an assessment that will indicate subject area strengths and weaknesses. Instruction to help students prepare for the GED test is offered on an individual, small group, or class basis. Time needed for completion of GED instruction varies with individual’s entry level. Those passing the GED test during the academic year are eligible to participate in the annual spring graduation ceremonies. For more information concerning GED instruction call (307) 674-6446, ext. 2703 or (307) 686-0254 ext. 1451.

GED Testing

Sheridan College offers GED testing with evening and morning testing sessions. An assessment must be completed prior to taking the GED test. Call (307) 674-6446, ext. 2004 for more information about the GED test. The Gillette College Learning Center offers GED testing twice each month. A practice GED and 12 hours of instruction must be completed prior to taking the GED test. Contact the Learning Center at (307) 686-0254, ext. 1451 to schedule the practice or GED test.

Refresher/College Preparatory Courses

Sheridan College offers a series of courses designed for students to refresh their skills in various areas. Courses are computer based, or text book based. These courses may be taken for credit; however, only courses numbered 1000 level or above can be used to meet degree requirements. Please contact an advisor for more information.


Sheridan College

Free one-to-one and group tutoring and study group sessions with peer and instructor tutors and a drop-in Writing and Communications Center are available for Sheridan College students. These programs are funded by a variety of sources including Carl Perkins Vocational Education grants. For more information, contact the Advantage Tutor Program in the Griffith Memorial Building, (307) 674-6446, ext. 2701.

Gillette College

The Student Development Center in main building of Gillette College coordinates one-to-one tutoring and study group sessions. These programs are funded by a variety of sources including Carl Perkins Vocational Education grants. Computers and software are also available for homework assistance. For more information, call (307) 686-0254, ext. 1457.


Smarthinking is an online tutoring service that connects students to professional tutors and independent study resources 24/7. It is available to all NWCCD students. SMARTHINKING provides online tutoring in Mathematics (Basic Skills - Calculus II), Writing, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology, Accounting, Economics, Introductory Finance, Spanish and Statistics. Online Math tutors are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week during the school year.

Transitional Services Programs

The Sheridan College Transitional Services Programs assist income- eligible career and technical education students obtain skills to make them job-ready. Current programs include 1) TSP for single parents, displaced homemakers and single pregnant women; 2) Jump Start for students in non-traditional majors, 3) ETSS for Nursing and Dental Hygiene students who have custody of minor children and are completing their certificate or degree by a specific date. Other programs may be available as well. A wide variety of support services are offered which may include referrals, advocacy, support groups, brown bag seminars, newsletters, and workshops. Financial assistance may also be available for tuition, books, uniforms and/or certification costs. Funding and services for these grant programs may vary from year-to-year. For information or to apply, call John Sutton at (307) 674-6446, ext. 4350.

Assistance for Students with Disabilities

(Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973) The Enrollment Services Office makes arrangements for support services for students with documented disabilities. Students requesting accommodations for disabilities through ADA must register each semester with the Advising and Testing Office in Sheridan or the Advising Office in Gillette. Section 504 defines a person with a handicap as anyone who:

  1. Has a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities;
  2. Has a documented record of impairment;
  3. Is diagnosed as having impairment. Accommodations may consist of, but not be limited to:
    • extended testing time
    • books on tape
    • distraction-free testing environment
    • note taker in class (students must assist in finding someone who is willing to take notes)
    • recording of lectures
    • specialized hardware and software for computer labs
    • test reader
    • access to e-textbooks
    Accommodations must be requested within a reasonable period of time before the semester begins.


Tuition and Fees


Tuition/Fee Schedule

Tuition is established by the Wyoming Community College Commission. Any person not meeting the criteria established for Wyoming residency is classified as an out-of-state student. Residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, and Washington qualify for reduced rates under WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange). Fees and fee distribution schedules are set by the College for each service area county. Tuition and fees are reviewed annually and are subject to change; check current Course Schedules for current rates.

Students registered for 12 or more credits are classified as “full-time” and students registered for fewer than 12 credits are classified as “part-time.” All “full-time” students are required to participate in the group accident insurance program. Student fees are calculated on a per credit hour basis dependent upon the location of the course. The per credit student fee is $10 in Sheridan County and Campbell County, and $2 in Johnson County; this fee is subject to change with the appropriate approval. Additional fees may be assessed for particular programs or courses. An overload fee is assessed for eacdh credit hour in excess of 18 credits. The fee is equal to the credit hour tuition charge in accordance with the student’s classification as in-state, WUE, or out-of-state. Concurrent Enrollment students are not charged student fees or insurance.

Institutional Fees

An institutional fee of $12 per credit hour will be assessed in addition to student fees as per Series 5041.1 paragraphs I and II in the College’s Policies and Procedures Handbook. The fee is used to aid in the general operations of the college.

Semester Tuition Schedule

(Rates are subject to change annually)

Credits In-State WUE Out-of-State
1 $65 $98 $195
2 130 196 390
3 195 294 585
4 260 392 780
5 325 490 925
6 390 588 1,170
7 455 686 1,365
8 520 784 1,560
9 585 882 1,755
10 650 980 1,950
11 715 1,078 2,145
12/more 780 1,176 2,340

Fees: $22-Sheridan County, $12-Johnson County, $22-Campbell County (per credit hour) Insurance: 21.50 for credit hour loads of 12 or more

Credit Hour Load

A credit hour denotes a unit of academic work. Normally, one credit hour is earned in a course that meets one hour per week for a semester of 15-16 weeks. Each credit hour requires an average of three hours of student effort per week. Lecture classes generally meet for one hour each week for each hour of credit; lab classes meet for two to three hours per credit; some courses blend the lecture/lab format. Although a full-time credit hour load is considered 12 credit hours students typically register for 16 credit hours. However, advisors and/or different programs of study may recommend heavier or lighter loads.

Residency Classification

After 12 months of continuous residency, an individual may appeal his or her residency classification. Appeal for change in residency classification must be submitted within 10 calendar days of the beginning of a term to the Financial Aid Office at either campus, for review by the Student Affairs Committee.

Wyoming’s seven community colleges have agreed upon the following regulations governing the classification of students as residents or non-residents for the purpose of fee assessment:

  • A student previously classified as a non-resident may be re-classified at any time prior to the end of the published refund period of any term in which he/she qualifies.
  • A student who is classified as a resident by one college will be considered a resident at all colleges.
  • Classification Procedures:
    1. Residence classification shall be initiated for each student at the time the application for admission is accepted and whenever a student has not been in attendance for more than one semester.
    2. Only individuals or their legal dependents who are U.S. citizens or are in an immigrant status may qualify for residency.
    3. Community college districts may require applicants to supply information to document residency status.
  • Residency Guidelines:
    Any of the following may be used by a student and would result in an individual being classified or re-classified as a Wyoming resident for tuition purposes:
    1. A graduate of a Wyoming high school or recipient of a GED in Wyoming who enrolls in a community college within twelve (12) months of completion;
    2. An individual who can provide written verification that he/she has lived in Wyoming continuously for one year prior to enrolling;
    3. A legal dependent under the age of 24 or a spouse of a resident of the State of Wyoming who qualifies as a resident based on this policy.
    4. A legal dependent under the age of 24 of a Wyoming Community College graduate.
    5. A student who marries a Wyoming resident shall be granted resident classification at the beginning of the next term following the marriage;
    6. An individual on active duty in Wyoming with the United States Armed Forces, Wyoming National Guard or Reserves and his/her legal dependents;
    7. Members of the U.S. Armed forces who move to Wyoming within twelve (12) months from the date of honorable discharge from the service.
    8. An individual who can provide written verification from an employer that he/she will be employed in Wyoming for an anticipated period of not less than seven (7) months, and such employment is the principal means of support;
    9. Persons temporarily absent from the state due to military service, attendance at educational institutions, or other types of documented temporary absences will not have their resident status voided by such absence.
  • Exceptions:
    In accordance with W.S. 21-17-105, an individual who does not reside in Wyoming may be considered a resident for tuition purposes if he/she meets all of the following criteria:
    1. Employed in Wyoming for at least seven (7) months, and such employment is the applicant’s principal means of support;
    2. Pays Wyoming taxes as required by law;
    3. Resides in a state with a similar law; and
    4. Is willing to submit an affidavit to the above.

Appeals and exceptions to the above policy will be considered by each individual institution.  Appeal for change in residency classification must be submitted within 10 calendar days of the beginning of a term to the Financial Aid Office at either campus, for review by the Student Appeals Committee.

Refund Policy

Federal regulations require that each institution publish its refund policy and make the information available to students upon request. A portion of tuition and fees will be refunded to a student who officially withdraws within the first 25 percent of the class as follows:

  • Within 6.25% of length of class
  • Within 12.5% of length of class
  • Within 18.75% of length of class
  • Within 25.0% of length of class

Length of class refers to the total number of calendar days between the first and last days of classes as published in the class schedule. Insurance fees are not refundable after the seventh calendar day of the semester.

Program fees are refundable on the same basis as tuition.

Students who feel that their circumstances warrant exception from the published refund policy may appeal. Appeals are initiated through the Student Appeals Committee.


Financial Aid / Scholarships / Loans


Financial Aid

The District provides a wide variety of financial aid to deserving students enrolled in credit courses for fall and spring semester. Financial aid for summer is limited. Financial aid is available to both full-time and part-time students. Scholarships, loans, grants, and employment opportunities are awarded based on eligibility but without regard to race, gender, creed, color or disabilities. The District operates in accordance with Title IV of the Higher Education Amendments of 1965 as cited in the Education Amendments of 1976 and 1986. Please check with the Financial Aid Office in Sheridan at extension 2100 or in Gillette at extension 1420 for more information. Information on the following programs can be found in the appendix at the end of the catalog.

Financial Aid Application

Students must be accepted for admission before they can be awarded financial aid. Students must apply each year for Title IV Federal Aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students may visit http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ to fill out the online application. Applicants are also required to submit an official high school transcript, or GED certificate, verifying graduation or completion to the college before the student is eligible to receive financial aid. All of the forms are available from the Financial Aid Office. Students who wish to be considered for institutional scholarships should submit their applications each year to the Financial Aid Office on or before March 1.) Late applications may not be considered. Students with scholarships not administered through the College should contact the donor to arrange for payment before registration.

Federal Aid Programs

Any financial aid awarded to a student under the Title IV programs listed below will be paid to the student only if he/she:

  1. Is making satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the standards and practices at Sheridan College or the Gillette College.
  2. Has established eligibility by means of filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA).
  3. Has filed all necessary documents with the Financial Aid Office.
  4. Does not owe a refund on any federal grant under Title IV of the Higher Education Act and is not in default on any other educational loan insured or guaranteed under Title IV for educational purposes.

For a student to be eligible for Title IV Federal Aid, he/she must be a high school graduate, complete a GED certificate, or submit a letter verifying successful completion of a home school course of study. All applicants must be enrolled in a degree or a certificate program.

Return of Title IV Funds

All students receiving federal Title IV financial assistance will be subject to a calculation that determines “earned” and “unearned” Title IV funds.

  • Calculation of Title IV assistance “earned”
    During the first 60% of a semester the percentage of assistance earned is equal to the percentage of the payment period or period of enrollment for which it was awarded as of the day the student withdrew. If the student withdrawal occurs after 60% of the semester has passes the percentage is 100%. That earned percentage is applied to the total amount of Title IV grant and loan assistance that was or could have been disbursed to the student for the payment period for which it was awarded as of the day the student withdrew.
  • Calculation of Title IV assistance “unearned”
    The amount of Title IV grant and loan assistance not earned by the student is calculated by determining the complement of the percentage of assistance the student earned and applying it to the total amount of the grant and loan assistance that was and that could have been disbursed to the student for the payment or period of enrollment as of the day the student withdrew. The amount that the school must return to the federal aid program is the lesser of the unearned amount of Title IV assistance or the institutional changes incurred multiplied by the unearned percentage.

High School Senior Tuition Grants

In-state tuition grants are available for high school seniors from Sheridan, Johnson and Campbell counties. Application forms must be submitted at the time of registration to the Financial Aid office. High school seniors may be reimbursed for up to twelve credit hours per year. The twelve credit hours may be divided over the summer, fall or spring term. At no point will the student be reimbursed for more then the maximum of twelve credit hours.

Golden Age Grants

The District offers Wyoming residents sixty years of age or older tuition grants for courses offered by the District and reduced admission to special events as announced by the District. Tuition grants will be distributed on the following basis:

  • Grants to cover one-half the cost of tuition for credit courses.
    Tuition grants will be distributed on the following basis:
  • Golden Age Grants will not be awarded for summer offerings.
  • Funding is for credit courses only.
  • Golden Age Grants are awarded on a first-come first-served basis.

Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP)

LEAP funds are provided to both full- and part-time Wyoming resident students with financial need. Recipients are selected from those who demonstrate exceptional financial need and are available for both full-time and part-time students. No special application is required. LEAP funds are awarded through the Financial Aid Office.

Student Employment

Student employment is available to any student regardless of his or her financial need. This program is offered through the college and provides an opportunity for employment to students who may not qualify under the Federal College Work-Study program. These funds are limited. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office in Sheridan or Gillette for more information.

Wyoming Investment Nursing Program (WYIN)

Under the WYIN program, Wyo. Stat *9-2-123, the Wyoming Community College Commission provides financial assistance to prospective nurses and nurses seeking advanced education. In return for these loans the nurses agree to engage in the practice of their professions within the State of Wyoming for a period of years or repay the loan in cash, plus interest and any applicable fees according to the schedule determined by the Commission.

Hathaway Scholarship

Please contact the Financial Aid Office for current information regarding this opportunity for graduating seniors and G.E.D. recipients. (800) 913-9139, ext. 2100.

Federal Pell Grants

Pell grants range from $400-$4,731 based on documented need and a valid Student Aid Report. Pell Grants are available to students who:

  • Are accepted for admission and enrolled at least half time as an undergraduate student.
  • Have established eligibility by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FAFSA).
  • Have on file, in the Financial Aid Office, a high school transcript, a GED certificate, or verification of home school curriculum completion and verification of enrollment in a degree or certificate program.
  • Are U. S. citizens or eligible non-citizen and are in the United States for other than temporary purposes and intend to become a permanent resident.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

SEOG grants are provided to students with financial need. Qualifications for these grants are based on guidelines developed by the U.S. Department of Education for the Title IV Federal Aid Programs. Students applying for Pell Grants will automatically be considered for an SEOG, if they meet the requirements. No special application is necessary. SEOG grants are awarded on a first-come basis to students whose Effective Family Contribution is less than $500 and who demonstrate the greatest unmet need after all financial aid has been awarded.

Federal College Work-Study (CWS)

The CWS program is available to students who are enrolled and in good standing at Sheridan College/ Gillette College. Part-time students, as well as full-time students, may apply. Students must submit their Student Aid Reports and indicate on the Financial Aid Questionnaire their preference for CWS. Students who are offered CWS will be required to complete an application for employment after they arrive on campus. Students will interview for jobs with the work-study supervisor in the department in which they want to work. Not all eligible applicants may be selected for CWS even though they are eligible. The Financial Aid Office will assist all eligible students who request CWS in finding jobs and will assist those students who are not selected for CWS with other types of financial aid. The offer under CWS is not a guaranteed award, it is only a reasonable estimate of the amount a student may earn.

Scholarships & Loans

A variety of scholarships and loan programs are available to assist students in achieving their academic goals. For a full listing of available scholarships and loan programs and application instructions, see the Scholarships section of the catalog.

Federal Family Education Loan Program

All first time borrowers at Sheridan College and Gillette College are required to wait 30 days from the time classes begin before receiving their educational loans. Students must also complete loan counseling and submit a satisfactory progress report to show they are maintaining standards of progress. For more information please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Standards of Progress

The Financial Aid Office reviews the academic records of all financial aid students to determine whether or not they are maintaining standards of progress as defined by College policy. Students receiving Title IV Federal Aid will receive a copy of the “Policies and Practices Governing Student Financial Assistance” which addresses the satisfactory academic standards of progress. Students are responsible for reviewing and understanding this policy which is also found in the Student Handbook. Students who receive financial aid and later decide to withdraw from all or part of their classes are encouraged to visit with the Director of Financial Aid to determine if they must repay any financial aid received or if they will be subject to financial aid suspension for non-compliance with the standards of progress policy.

In summary, the policy measures the qualitative and quantitative standards of progress as follows: Students must complete:

  • 68 percent of the courses attempted or 12 credit hours, whichever is greater, as a full-time student,
  • Nine credits as a three-quarter time student,
  • Six credit hours as a half-time student.
  • Students must maintain:
  • a grade point average of 1.6 or higher per semester for their first 29 credit hours,
  • GPA of 1.8 or higher per semester for 30-44 credit hours
  • GPA of 2.0 or higher per semester thereafter.

Students working towards an Associate Degree are allowed six semesters of eligibility while students working towards a Certificate are allowed three semesters of eligibility.

Non-credit or audited courses cannot be taken into account when determining a student’s enrollment status for federal aid, nor will these courses be used in computing satisfactory progress. Students are strongly urged to carefully read all the provisions of the “Policies and Practices Governing Student Financial Assistance.” It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of and adhere to all provisions of this policy.

Veterans Administration Programs

The Financial Aid Office coordinates services for the veterans’ programs. Policies have been implemented to comply with V.A. requirements which apply to all students receiving assistance under Chapter 30 (G.I. Bill), Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation; Chapter 32, Veterans Administration Contributory Benefits; Chapter 34, Veterans Educational Assistance (G.I. Bill); Chapter 35, Veterans Dependents Educational Assistance and Chapter 1606, National Guard.

Veterans’ Programs Attendance Policy

All students receiving Veterans’ Educational Assistance who miss more than a total of two weeks of class may have their benefits terminated. Attendance procedures implemented by the College to monitor the veteran student attendance are mandatory. Failure to comply may result in discontinuance of benefits.


All students receiving V.A. benefits are required to report their withdrawal from the College, the dropping or addition of any courses, and any unscheduled interruptions of course work immediately to the Financial Aid/Veteran Services Office. Students withdrawing from courses after registration may be required to pay back all funds received for the courses dropped from the first day of enrollment.

Unacceptable Programs

The V.A. prohibits payment of educational assistance or subsistence allowance for any program or course for which the assigned grade or credits are not applicable towards graduation requirements including withdrawals (except in the case of mitigating circumstances), auditing a course, “incomplete” grade.


Each semester the College will report to the Veterans Administration:

  1. Any veteran student who withdraws from classes.
  2. All excessive absences and the last date of attendance.
  3. Any veteran student who fails to maintain satisfactory progress in accordance with standards defined below.

Academic Progress and Sanctions

The grade point averages of all veterans will be computed on a four-point (A, B, C, D, F) scale. Any student failing to meet the grade point average standards outlined in the Standard of Progress section of this catalog will be placed on probation. Veteran students who have been on probation for one semester and who have failed to meet the minimum standard of progress during that probationary semester may have their benefits terminated for at least one semester. Veterans who have had their benefits terminated may be required to receive counseling through the Veterans Center in Cheyenne before their assistance can be reinstated.

Mitigating Circumstances

Mitigating circumstances will be documented for veterans withdrawing or making unsatisfactory academic progress. Some examples of mitigating circumstances are:

  • Serious illness of the veteran beneficiary.
  • Serious illnesses or death in the beneficiary’s immediate family.
  • Financial or immediate family obligations which require a change in the terms, hours or place of the beneficiary’s employment which precludes continued pursuit of course.
  • Discontinuance of a course by the College.
  • Active duty military service including active duty for training.

If a veteran student receives a failing grade or withdraws from a course due to unsatisfactory work, the following may be allowed for consideration of mitigating circumstances:

  • The veteran student demonstrated good faith pursuit of the course to the time of withdrawal or completion.
  • The student is able to submit evidence that he/she applied for tutorial aid and consulted with a school Academic counselor and/ or advisor in an attempt to remedy the unsatisfactory work before withdrawal from or completion of the course.

Wyoming Vietnam Veterans Free Tuition Program

Wyoming Statutes provide for free tuition and fees for Vietnam Veterans, surviving spouse of Vietnam veterans or legal dependents under age 21 who attend the University of Wyoming or any Wyoming Community College. A Vietnam Veteran is defined as any person who:

Peace Officers, Firefighters, Emergency Medical Technicians

Wyoming statue provides free tuition and fees for education for survivors of deceased peace officers and dependents of totally disabled peace officers, firefighters, and emergency medical technicians. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Overseas Combat Veterans

Wyoming statue provides free tuition and fees for qualifying overseas combat veterans, surviving spouse and legal dependents under the age of 21. The veteran must have been a Wyoming resident one year prior to entering military service. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for details.

  • Was in active service with the military forces of the United States and received a Vietnam service medal between August 5, 1964 and to May 7, 1975;
  • Received a discharge from the military forces of the United States other than dishonorable; and
  • Has been a Wyoming resident for not less than one (1) year.


Living On Campus


Residence Halls

Sheridan College

The Sheridan campus provides a variety of housing options to accommodate all ages of students.

Founders Hall can house up to 92 students and features electronic security control, in-room phone, computer and cable TV access, quiet study lounges, group kitchens, laundry room, an exercise room and a computer lab.

South Hall offers similar features and has a capacity of 82 students.

Crook, Kearney and Connor Halls offer smaller residential communities with a combined capacity of 87 students.

“Cottage-style” housing units accommodate six to ten students each are available to students who meet certain criteria.

Rooms to accommodate handicapped students are available. Residence halls are primarily co-educational but single-gender accommodations are available as well.

Students living in residence halls are required to participate in the food service program and may choose cafeteria-style dining, select from an a la carte menu in the Snack Bar, or use a combination of the two.

Married couples and/or single parents may apply for housing in a six-unit apartment building. Meal plans are not required for tenants in the family house unit.

All housing facilities are smoke-free. Further information on housing can be obtained from the Director of Housing and Student Life in Sheridan, (307) 674-6446 or (800) 913-9139, ext. 2301.

Gillette College

Gillette College offers a small number of apartments made available through a lease arrangement with local apartment complex. The College is also in the process of planning the construction of residence halls for occupancy in the near future. Individuals interested in housing in Gillette should contact the Assistant Dean of Students at (307) 686-0254 or (800) 9139139, ext. 2301.

Residence Hall Application Process

Students should apply for housing as early as possible. Reservations for rooms in the residence halls are made on a first-come, first-served basis to applicants who are accepted for admission to Sheridan College. Residence hall applications must be accompanied by a $60 deposit which will both confirm the reservation and serve as a damage deposit. The deposit is refundable if the room is vacated in good condition and the terms of the housing contract are fulfilled. Single rooms are assigned on a space-available basis and priority is given to returning students.

Unless alternate arrangements are made in advance, reservations for residence halls will be honored only until noon of the first day of classes. Rooms may be occupied three (3) days prior to the first day of classes for each semester and must be vacated by the closing date specified in the college calendar.

Residence Hall Costs (Sheridan College)

Summer (per week, per person)

  • Double Room: $55
  • Single Room: $70
  • Meal Plan: Generally not available

Academic Year (per semester, per person)

Crook, Kearney or Connor Halls

  • Double Room $850*
  • Single Room $1,150*

Founders & South Halls

  • Double room: $1,000*
  • Single room: $1,300* (includes $10 student activities fee)

Fall 2008 Housing Units (Suite-Style and Efficiency Apartments)

  • Double suite $1,200*
  • Double with private bath: $1,300*
  • Single suite: $1,400*
  • Single with private bath: $1,500*
  • Efficiency apartment: $1,600*

Several meal plans are available at a cost of either $920* or $1,050*. Please contact the housing office for details.

Deposit (payable in advance) $100**

*The College reserves the right to adjust the charges for room and meals whenever conditions warrant such action.

** Refundable if the College receives written notice of cancellation by the dates specified in the confirmation letter mailed to the applicant once the deposit is received.

Room and Meal Plan Refunds

Students who officially withdraw from all classes, which in effect cancels the housing contract, may receive a refund that has been prorated from their room and meal plan charges. A 15% penalty will be deducted from the unused portion of the contract. No refund is paid to students who withdraw after November 1 for the fall semester or April 1 for the spring semester. In all cases, the deposit will be forfeited. Students who begin occupancy are bound to the housing contract, and may be released only under certain conditions, through an appeal process.


Married students and single parents may apply for a limited number of furnished one and two bedroom apartments on the Sheridan College campus. Applicants should be aware that campus apartments are smoke-free and pets are not allowed.

Apartment Costs (per month)

One bedroom: $400*
Two bedroom: $500*
Deposit: (payable in advance) $100**

* Includes utilities except for telephone and cable television. The College reserves the right to adjust the charges for apartments whenever conditions warrant such action.

** Refundable if notice of cancellation is received by the dates specified in the confirmation letter.


Student Life


Student Activities

NWCCD is committed to providing the entire college experience. The activity offerings at Sheridan College and Gillette College are designed to enhance a student’s academic course work. With community development at its core, the activities program provides a wide range of services, programs and organizations which are available to the entire student body. Through the efforts of both the student and professional activities staff, students learn and practice lifelong leadership skills. Participation in programs and activities helps build a sense of belonging which enhances the overall college experience and ultimately results in a greater commitment to their educational goals.

Student Government

The Student Senate in Sheridan and the Student Government Association in Gillette provide a direct link between students and administration. Executive offices include the president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer who are elected in the spring of the previous year. Representatives serve on campus committees and the group makes recommendations for allocation of student fees. All students are encouraged to join student government or to attend meetings and provide input. Both groups plan and organize the activities available to students. Experience in leadership and making new friends are two reasons many students become involved in student government. Weekly meetings are open to all interested students.

Co-Curricular Program for Leadership & Involvement

The Co-Curricular Program is a comprehensive approach to recognizing the educational benefit of learning outside the classroom. Students use the Co-Curricular transcript to document on and off campus involvement in leadership development activities. It is an official record of leadership experiences outside the classroom that enhance effective communication, delegation, multiculturalism, ethical decision-making, community relations, leadership theory and leadership style. Like the academic transcript, the Co-Curricular transcript is a permanent document for prospective universities and employers. It records the students’ unique collegiate leadership experiences and is a useful tool in resume building.

Students are encouraged to begin developing entries their first college semester. Club sponsors, advisors, work supervisors, and volunteer coordinators can help specify leadership skills gained through involvement in the activities they sponsor. Students take the lead in maintaining a record of their activities and involvement. Registration and verification forms are available through the director of Intramurals & Activities.

Examples of leadership activities eligible for recognition on the co-curricular transcript are volunteer work, campus club executive board member, involvement in off campus community organizations, athletic team member, intramural team member and church involvement. For more information contact the Coordinator of Activities & Intramurals or a member of the Student Activities Board.


Sheridan College

  • Ag Club (PAC)
  • Chi Omega Pi Fraternity
  • Choir
  • Computer Club
  • Dental Auxiliary
  • Hospitality Club
  • Massage Therapy Club
  • Multicultural Diversity Club
  • Non-Traditional Student Organization (NTSO)
  • Nursing Club
  • Pep Band
  • Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
  • Residence Hall Government
  • Rodeo Club
  • Speech Team (Forensics)
  • Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE)
  • Welding Club

Gillette College

  • Diesel Club (VICA)
  • Education Club
  • Journalism Club
  • Nursing Club
  • Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
  • Phi Beta Lambda
  • Science Club
  • Welding Club (NEWA)
  • International Club

Intramural Sports

Sheridan College

  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Bowling
  • Softball
  • Floor Hockey
  • Tennis
  • Golf
  • Volleyball
  • Indoor Games

Gillette College

Intramural sports vary from semester to semester. Check with the Student Activities Coordinator, (307) 686-0254, ext. 1300

Club Sports

  • Soccer

Varsity Sports

  • Basketball - Men’s/Women’s, Sanctioned by the National Junior College Athletic Association
  • Rodeo - Men’s /Women’s, The Rodeo Team competes under the auspices of the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association.
  • Volleyball - Women’s Competition is sanctioned by the National Junior College Athletic Association.


Academic Information


Academic Divisions

Sheridan College

Five divisions have been established to help administer academic programs at Sheridan College. Divisions and locations include

Business & Social Sciences
Ext. 3200
Whitney Building - W 160

Health Sciences
Ext. 2833
Whitney Building - W 178

Ext. 3000
Whitney Building-W 118

Natural Science
Ext. 3100
Science Center - SC 152A

Technical Careers
Ext. 3500
Agricultural Center-Ag 104

Gillette College

Academic programs at Gillette College are administered by the Vice President of Academic Affairs:

Teri Anderson
Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs
Ext. 1110
Gillette College Main Building - Room 123F

Credit By Examination

Students completing CEEB Advanced Placement Examinations may be awarded college credit. Students should check with the Records Office or Testing Center for minimum scores and awarded credits. Credit will be awarded for successful performance on College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. CLEP information is available through the Testing Center. Requests for institutional challenge exams should be initiated with the academic division and are subject to restrictions. A challenge examination may not be attempted more than once and students who wish credit by exam for a class in which they are currently enrolled must take the exam within the first month of the course. Challenge examinations that are passed with a 70% or greater score will receive a Satisfactory (S) grade for the course. This grade will not affect the student’s grade point average. Note: Some colleges do not accept credits from CLEP or institutional challenge exams.

Transfer of Credits from Approved Institutions

Credit earned at other approved institutions will transfer to NWCCD upon approval by the Records Office. Credits will only transfer with those approved courses in which a final grade of “C” or higher is attained. The Records Office is responsible for the evaluation and acceptance of all transfer credit. Students may be required to provide course descriptions and course syllabi before acceptance of the transfer course/credit. No restriction is placed on the age of credits to be transferred with the exception of some nursing courses and science courses to be applied to Dental Hygiene or Nursing degree requirements.

Transfer of Credits to Approved Institutions

Credits earned at NWCCD can be transferred to other approved institutions, though students are advised that, in most cases, only a grade of “C” or higher in college-level courses can be applied to degree programs. Students should work with their faculty or academic advisor and the requirements of the transfer institution to develop a schedule of courses that will transfer. Acceptance of transferred credits is determined by the accepting institution.

Block Transfer

The Northern Wyoming Community College District has established block transfer agreements with the University of Wyoming. A Block Transfer Agreement is a contract between the colleges and the student to assure smooth transfer of credits between NWCCD and the student’s choice of college at the University. Students who wish to participate in these programs need to request information from their advisors or from the University of Wyoming campus Outreach Office. Current UW block transfer agreements are available for: General Studies/Undeclared College of Arts and Sciences College of Business College of Agriculture College of Education / Elementary Education /College of Engineering.

Correspondence Courses

Correspondence course credits will be accepted only from accredited institutions.

Grading System

The quality of students’ coursework is recorded on their transcripts according to the following system:









Very Good
No Credit (non-graded)
Transfer credit from approved transfer institution

* A grade equivalent to or better than a C, providing credit toward graduation. This entry is restricted to grades for credit by exam & specific courses approved for S/U grading.


Audit (AU): Auditing, the privilege of non-credit enrollment in a credit class. An audit must be declared within the first 21 days of the semester. Requirements for an audit are at the discretion of the instructor. Auditing entails full rights and responsibilities for the course, although auditors are not generally required to take examinations, and no credit or grade is awarded. Audits are subject to the same fee schedule as regular enrollments. Note: Veterans cannot receive benefits to cover expenses for auditing a course.

Incomplete (I): An incomplete may be assigned when a student who is otherwise passing cannot complete a course due to extenuating circumstances. The student must obtain approval from the instructor. If the instructor approves the student’s request, the instructor will outline the steps necessary for the student to complete the course and the date the work must be completed. The maximum allowable time is one year. This form must be on file in the Records Office before or on the date final grades are due during the semester the incomplete is assigned. At the completion of all make-up requirements, the instructor must submit a grade change form to the Records Office. Incomplete grades must be changed to a letter grade (A, B, C, D, F) or S/U grade (if course has been approved with an S/U grading system). An incomplete grade that has not been changed after one year has elapsed will automatically revert to an “F” grade.

Withdrawal (W): The “W” designation is used to show that the student officially withdrew from the course on or before the designated last day of classes for the semester or last day of the course. Courses dropped during the first 6.25 percent of the class days do not appear on a student’s record. It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from college or from individual classes. Students must pick up a drop form or withdrawal form from the Records Office, obtain all required signatures and return the completed form to the Records Office for processing. Students failing to withdraw from class may receive “F” grades on their permanent record, which will be used when calculating grade point averages.

Grade Points

Grade points for each course are found by multiplying the number of credits assigned to the course by the point value (grade points on the grading table below) of the grade received. For example, a student earning an “A” (point value of 4) in a three-credit course would earn 12 grade points for the course.

Grading Table

  Grade   Points




Grade Point Average

The formula used to calculate grade point averages (GPA) is: GPA = Total grade points earned divided by the total credits attempted.

The grade points for each course are found by multiplying the number of credits earned for the course by the value of the grade received. In this example, a student enrolled in 16 credit hours taking three, three-credit courses and receiving an “A” and two “B”s, one four-credit course for which a “B” was earned, and withdrawing from a three-credit course. The GPA calculation for that semester would look like this:







Grade Points


Total Points









= 12









= 9









= 9









= 12









= 0










Total Points













= 3.23

If the student had not officially withdrawn from the three-credit course
but quit attending and failed the course, the original 16 credits would be used in the calculation as follows:

Total Points













= 2.63

The GPA may be calculated for a semester (as shown above) or
cumulatively (for an entire college career) for different purposes.

Term GPA

The term grade point average (GPA) is the sum of all grade points earned in a semester divided by all credit hours attempted for a letter grade. Credit hours for which marks of S, U, I, AU, TR or W are assigned are excluded from GPA calculations.

Cumulative GPA

Cumulative GPA is used for determining activity eligibility, graduation qualification, probation and dismissal, and for comparisons or measurement of academic standing. The cumulative grade point average includes the total grade points earned divided by total credit hours attempted. As with the semester GPA, credit hours to which marks of S, U, I, AU, TR or W are assigned are excluded from calculations. Courses transferred from other colleges are also excluded. In the case of repeated courses, the grade and credit earned in the last attempt are used to calculate the cumulative grade point average. Transfer grades are not included in the NWCCD grade point average.

Mid-Term Grades

Each semester, mid-term grades for full-time and part-time students are available through WebAdvisor. These grades are not entered on a student’s permanent record and are available to students for informational purposes. For information on mid-term grades, students should contact the Records Office at either campus.

Grading Errors

Occasionally an error is made in calculating or recording a course grade. An instructor can issue a “Change of Grade” if such an error is discovered, either by the instructor or by the student who brings this to the attention of the instructor.

Academic Standing

Students are classified as “in good standing,” “on probation,” or “suspended.” Students failing to meet the institution’s standards of progress will be placed on academic probation or supervision.


  • Academic records are reviewed at the end of each semester. Students who have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours and whose cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is below a 2.0 will be placed on academic probation. A completed course is one in which a grade has been received.
  • A student will be removed from academic probation when his/her cumulative grade point average (CGPA) meets or exceeds a 2.0 CGPA.
  • A student will continue on academic probation if he/she earns a semester GPA of 2.00 or better but fails to reach the Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.0.
  • Students enrolled in a program with specific program standards may be subject to additional program probation and/or suspension, if their grades fall below the level required by program standards.


  • Students on academic probation who fail to show academic progress by earning a semester grade point average of 2.0 or higher will be academically suspended and will not be allowed to register for undergraduate credit courses during the period of suspension.
  • No student will be suspended for academic reasons before he/she has completed at least 24 credit hours at the District. A completed course is one in which a grade has been received. No student will be suspended for academic reasons without first having been placed on academic probation the previous semester of enrollment.
  • Students will be suspended for one regular academic semester (Fall or Spring) and may re-enroll with a status of academic probation.
  • The student may appeal to the Student Affairs Committee to re-enroll the semester immediately following their suspension. Appeal of suspension decisions made by the Student Appeals Committee should be directed to the chief academic officer.

Restriction of Activities for Students on Probation

  • No student on probation is eligible to hold any student office or to represent the District or the student body to the public.
  • Students in their first semester participating in college-sanctioned varsity sports must earn at least a 1.75 cumulative grade point average in at least twelve (12) credit hours to retain eligibility for athletic participation for the second semester. Subsequent cumulative grade point averages must be 2.0 or higher to retain eligibility. In addition, participation in intercollegiate athletics is governed by additional rules of national organizations.
  • An academic probation success plan will be required for each student placed on academic probation. Students on academic probation will meet with an advisor for approval before registering for classes.

Honor Roll / Graduation Honors

Students with exceptional scholastic achievements are honored by being placed on the President’s List or Dean’s List and/or receiving graduation honors. “Full-time” designation is based on a minimum of 12 credit hours in courses that apply to graduation requirements (1000-level or above courses). GPA is based on a minimum of 12 credit hours in such courses. Only letter grades of A, B, C, D and F are used to compute the semester grade point average; there must be a minimum of 12 credit hours within these categories. Only courses taken through Sheridan College and/or Gillette College are eligible.

President’s List

For full-time students to earn a place on the president’s list, they must carry a minimum of 12 college-level credits and achieve a semester grade point average of 4.0.

Part-Time President’s List

For part-time students to earn a place on the president’s list, they must carry less than 12 credits with an accumulated minimum of 12 college-level credit hours and a cumulative grade point average of 4.0.

Dean’s List

For full-time students to earn a place on the dean’s list, they must carry 12 or more college-level credits, and achieve a semester grade point average of at least 3.5.

Part-Time Dean’s List

For part-time students to earn a place on the dean’s list, they must carry less than 12 credits with an accumulated minimum of 12 college-level credit hours and a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5.

Graduation Honors

To qualify for graduation honors, Associate Degree recipients must complete a minimum of 32 hours, and Certificate recipients must complete a minimum of one-half their required courses at Sheridan College. Credits awarded for advanced placement, CLEP, USAFI, and other non-traditional forms of advanced placement do not apply to requirements for graduation honors.

Two types of graduation honors are given: graduating with high honors requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.75. Graduating with honors requires a cumulative minimum GPA of 3.50.


Applications for Graduation are required and must be completed and submitted to the Records Office in order to begin the graduation process. Students will not graduate if a Graduation Application has not been completed. Applications for students wishing to graduate at the end of the Fall semester are due prior to the end of the semester. Applications for students wishing to graduate at the end of Spring or Summer semesters are due March 1. Applications will be accepted after March 1 but we cannot guarantee that the student’s name will be printed in the graduation program. As part of the graduation application process, students are asked to complete a citizenship survey and a post reading exam as part of the college’s assessment program.


A transcript is a copy of a student’s official educational record, detailing courses completed and grades received. Transcripts will not be released if the student has not fulfilled all obligations, educational and financial, to the College. Official Transcripts can only be released at the request of the student or through other provisions as a stated by the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). Transcripts should be requested from the Records Office. Students must provide a written request with signature for the release of a transcript, or through the secured WebAdvisor account that requires a unique personal identification number (PIN). Requests can be completed in the Records Office or sent via fax to Sheridan College at (307) 674-7205 or the Gillette College at (307) 687-7141. Students needing copies of transcripts from other institutions attended should contact those institutions directly.


Classification is based on the number of credit hours earned as reflected on the student’s transcripts. A freshman is any enrolled student who has completed fewer than 30 credit hours. A sophomore is any enrolled student who has completed 30 or more hours of course work.

University of Wyoming Outreach School

The University of Wyoming offers three certificate programs, six off-campus Bachelor’s degrees and ten Master’s degrees in Northeast Wyoming in cooperation with the Northern Wyoming Community College District.

Certificate Programs:

  • Early Childhood Program Director
  • Land Surveying

Bachelors Degrees:

  • Business Administration
  • Criminal Justice
  • Professional Child Development
  • Psychology
  • RN/BSN Nursing
  • Social Science

Masters Degrees:

  • Business Administration
  • Kinesiology & Health Nurse Educator
  • Public Administration
  • Social Work
  • Speech-Language Pathology


  • Adult & Post-Secondary Education
  • Instructional Technology
  • Special Education
  • Teaching & Learning

UW maintains regional outreach offices at both Sheridan College and Gillette College.

Advising for all facets of the off-campus programs is available from:

John A. Tollakson, Ph.D.
Academic Coordinator
Whitney Building, Rm. 121C
Sheridan College, P.O. Box 1500
Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
Phone (307) 674-6446, ext. 4550 or 4551. Fax (307) 672-5798

Becky Johnston
Administrative Assistant
Whitney Building, Rm. 121A
Sheridan College, P.O. Box 1500
Sheridan, Wyoming 82801
Phone (307) 674-6446, ext. 4550 or 4551. Fax (307) 672-5798

Lori Jahnke
Administrative Assistant
ljahnke@sheridan.edu Gillette College, 300 W. Sinclair St.
Gillette, Wyoming 82718
Phone (307) 686-0044. Fax (307) 686-3844

Transfer Programs

Many programs and courses of study in this catalog have been planned for transfer to the University of Wyoming. Students who plan to attend another college or university may have requirements waived or substituted. Students should present evidence of alternate requirements to their advisors who will assist them in completing the procedures for substitution or waivers. Students should annually review the current catalog or bulletin from the college or university to which they plan to transfer in order to stay abreast of changes.




Equal Opportunity

Northern Wyoming Community College District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political affiliation or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its educational programs or activities. Inquiries concerning Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act may be referred to NWCCD’s Human Rights Officers: Kevin Price, Director of Human Resources, 307-674-6446 or Mark Englert, Dean of Student and Enrollment Services, 307- 674-6446. Inquiries also may be made to the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 1244 Speer Boulevard, Suite 310, Denver, CO 80204, (303) 884-3417or Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 303 East 17th Avenue, Suite 510, Denver, CO 80203.

Sexual Harassment

Northern Wyoming Community College District will not tolerate sexual harassment or harassment on the basis of any other protected classification. Sexual harassment constitutes discrimination and is illegal under federal, state and local laws. NWCCD is committed to an educational and work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Individuals engaging in such conduct will be subject to disciplinary action.

Drug-Free Campus

Recognizing that the improper use of narcotics and other controlled substances has been a significant problem to society in general and that their sale, use and abuse can threaten the safety, morale and public image of individuals and the District, a policy regarding illegal drugs has been established as follows: “No person will be admitted or hired who is known to be a user, promoter or seller of any controlled substance, as that term is defined in state and federal statutes. Use or possession of illegal drugs (controlled substances) on College premises or during working hours, including break or meal periods, or working under the influence of illegal drugs, is strictly prohibited. Any employee or student violating this policy may be referred to drug counseling programs, drug rehabilitation programs or employee assistance programs or may be disciplined, up to and including dismissal for the first offense. Any employee or student who is found to be a seller or involved in the sale, solicitation or dealing in illegal drugs will be discharged from employment and/or classes of the College.”

Smoking Policy

Smoking is prohibited in all buildings. Smoking is allowed outdoors, except where expressly prohibited by sign or where entrances and walkways are impeded. Faculty conducting classes or activities outdoors may prohibit smoking to the immediate area during the class/activity period.

Student Rights/ Responsibilities

It is the responsibility of each student to acquire, read and understand college policies and procedures governing both academic topics and student life including rules of conduct. This information is published in the College Catalog and Student Handbook and made available to students.

Student Right-to-Know

Student Right-to-Know information concerning graduation rates and campus crime statistics is available on the Sheridan College web=site at http://www.sheridan.edu/srtk or by request through the Office of Institutional Research, (307) 674-6446.

Student Conduct

Students are expected to conform to rules of conduct adopted by the college. Rules of conduct are in effect at all times on campus, whenever a student is representing Sheridan College or Gillette College, and whenever a student is being transported in a college owned or sponsored vehicle. Specific rules of conduct and disciplinary procedures are outlined in the Policy and Procedures Handbook and the Student Handbook.

Academic Honesty

Students at Sheridan College and Gillette College are expected to maintain the highest standards of academic honesty and integrity. Academic honesty means performing all academic work without lying, cheating, deceit, plagiarism, misrepresentation, or unfairly gaining advantage over other students. Violations of academic honesty are in violation of Northern Wyoming Community College District standards for student conduct and shall result in disciplinary action pursuant to college policies and procedures (Policy 6005). It is the responsibility of both the student and the person in charge of an academic task to make reasonable efforts to learn of, or make known the expectations and standards of conduct required in the performance of an academic task. Failure on the part of the student to observe and maintain required standards of academic honesty may result in corrective action by the Northern Wyoming Community College District.


Attendance policies are determined by individual instructors in coordination with Division Chairs and Deans at Sheridan College or the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs at Gillette College. Students may be permitted to make up work at the discretion of the instructor. In the event of an extended absence four or more days, students should contact their faculty advisor or the advising office prior to the absence. Authorized absence slips will be issued for personal reasons, such as a death in the family, an accident or extended illness. While advance notice may not be possible in some instances, notification should be made as early in the period of absence as possible. Absences incurred in order to represent the institution in athletics or other activities, for field trips or for other official capacities will be reported in advance by the faculty member in charge of the activity or the Athletic Department in Sheridan or by the Assistant Vide President of Academic Affairs in Gillette. In these instances, coursework should be completed prior to the absence. Regardless of reason for absence from class, students will be responsible for all course assignments and requirements.

College Closures

Severe weather conditions occasionally require the closure of all or part of the District. This decision is made by the President or designee and is based on road and travel information from the Wyoming Highway Department and the status of campus roads and parking lots as reported by maintenance personnel. A decision to close any part of the District will be made prior to 6:30 a.m. and will be announced on local radio stations. If no announcement is made, students should assume that classes will be held.

Disciplinary Action - Alcohol/Drugs

Pursuant to changes made in 1997 to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, the district may contact parents or legal guardians of students under the age of 21 who are involved in disciplinary actions related to the use or abuse of alcohol or drugs. This notification may take place when it is deemed prudent by the district in order to protect the health and well-being of the student. Procedures for informing parents or legal guardians are as follows:

  • Parents or legal guardians may be notified after the second offense.
  • Notification may take place after the first offense if the situation is considered violent and/or threatening to the health or well-being of the student or of a victim, or are multiple violations of the code of conduct are committed.
  • Information releases will include the name of the student, the violation committed, and any sanctions imposed. The information will be released only at the conclusion of the disciplinary process.
  • Notification will be coordinated by the Chief Student Services Officer.

Family Educational Rights& Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA gives students certain rights with respect to their educational records. These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request is submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of a student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate. Students may ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. They should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records except to the extent that FERPA authorizes without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent; a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the College discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20202-4605

Directory Information

Directory information may be released to anyone upon request, unless official notice is received from the student to withhold that information. Written notice to withhold dissemination must be submitted to the Registrar. Information that may be released includes the following:

  • Name and Address
  • Telephone Listing
  • E-mail address
  • Date and Place of Birth
  • Major Fields of Current Study
  • Previous Schools Attended
  • Participation in Officially Recognized Activities/Sports
  • Weight and Height of Members of Athletic Teams
  • Dates of Attendance
  • Degrees and Awards

Information on procedures pertaining to privacy rights is made available to students at registration.

Emergency Messages

Emergency messages are handled by the Admissions & Advising Office at Sheridan College and the Records Office at Gillette College. Messages should be limited to actual emergencies.